Confirmed with Link: Dorion fired. Staios interim GM.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
Can we call on Staios to be fired?

I thought the blatant incompetence would be over. But this f***ing andlauer douchebag refuses to fire DJ. We went from one money-grubbing owner to another. It's sad, Ryan Reynolds should have won the bid because he would have actually tried to make the team better.

f*** this andlauer guy.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Can we call on Staios to be fired?

I thought the blatant incompetence would be over. But this f***ing andlauer douchebag refuses to fire DJ. We went from one money-grubbing owner to another. It's sad, Ryan Reynolds should have won the bid because he would have actually tried to make the team better.

f*** this andlauer guy.
Is this serious?

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
Can anybody think of examples of where an interim coach was named? And, what happened in those scenarios - were the outcomes positive? I mean, if a team is replacing a coach in mid season, the team is probably not doing well just like the Senators are now.

Just curious - maybe there's some examples.

I'll name one to get the conversation going - Martin St. Louis - link provided below.

I'll try Al MacNeil, Montreal Canadiens, 1971. Henri Richard hated him. Were supposed to get slaughtered by Boston in the playoffs. Won the cup with Dryden. Unfortunately I doubt MacNeil (or Dryden) is available now :).

Just checked...
During that season, the Habs struggled for a good portion of the season, at one point in danger of missing the playoffs for a second straight year—something that hadn't happened since they missed the playoffs three years in a row from 1919 to 1922. Ruel resigned 23 games into the season and MacNeil took the helm

Last edited:
Reactions: Ice-Tray and Cosmix

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
We don't know what instructions Capuano is under and simply being in charge of deployment is not the problem here.

Let me be clear. I don't want Capuano as coach. I'm not a fan. He is however a much more accomplished coach in the professional ranks than DJ Smith. Worked his way up from the East Coast. Has made the playoffs multiple times in the NHL and has even won a round. Even won a round with a top 4 D of Nick Leddy, Johnny Boychuk, Travis Hamonic and Calvin De Haan. Yikes. DJ has nothing like any of this on his resume.

Capuano is not the answer here long-term but if he ends up as interim he's almost certainly better than DJ.
Could not dissagree more. Capuano is the problem. How you can say you dont know who is making those decisions then follow that up with 'he's most certainly better than DJ' is basically arguing against your own point.

Also that top 5 d he had at the time in the Island when they were all in their primes was not nearly as bad as you are making them out to be.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Could not dissagree more. Capuano is the problem. How you can say you dont know who is making those decisions then follow that up with 'he's most certainly better than DJ' is basically arguing against your own point.

Also that top 5 d he had at the time in the Island when they were all in their primes was not nearly as bad as you are making them out to be.

He has at least some history of winning in pro hockey. DJ has none.

And yeah, none of those top 4 I listed are terrible. But our current top 4 is so much better, even with Chabot missing time. You could make a very good case that none of that Islanders top 4 would push out any of our top 4. It's not close.

As for Capuano being the problem? Well the biggest problem this team has, after the fact that they can't seem to play as five man units, is forwards bailing on their defensive duties. That has nothing to do with Capuano.

I can't believe you're making me defend Jack Capuano. LOL. But DJ has accomplished nothing in pro hockey. If you look at his time being in charge of the D in Toronto they were a mess as well. Although in his defense they were not a very good corps.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
He has at least some history of winning in pro hockey. DJ has none.

And yeah, none of those top 4 I listed are terrible. But our current top 4 is so much better, even with Chabot missing time. You could make a very good case that none of that Islanders top 4 would push out any of our top 4. It's not close.

As for Capuano being the problem? Well the biggest problem this team has, after the fact that they can't seem to play as five man units, is forwards bailing on their defensive duties. That has nothing to do with Capuano.

I can't believe you're making me defend Jack Capuano. LOL. But DJ has accomplished nothing in pro hockey. If you look at his time being in charge of the D in Toronto they were a mess as well. Although in his defense they were not a very good corps.
Jack Capuano is on DJ's staff. If he's such a problem then DJ, the Coach, should have been making changes or taking over. I see Capuano's role/performance as a direct reflection of DJ. They can't, and shouldn't, be separated imo, especially given we are looking from the outside and have little to no knowledge of what's really happening down there.

Reactions: Cosmix

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Some recent, and some Sens:

Berube - Won cup with Blues, kept on long-term
Brunette - Left after the season of Panthers as they hired Maurice
Crawford - Left after the season when the Sens hired Smith
Murray - Returned to GM role after Sens hired Hartsburgh
Woodcroft - Kept on with the Oilers
King - Returned as an Assisntant when they hired Richardson
Lowry - Moved to Asst. in Calgary after replacing Maurice and being replaced with Bowness
Yeo - Moved to Vancouver as an assistant after being replaced by Torts

Pretty much every single interim hire is from within an organization. We are looking at Capuano.
I guess my post was not clear enough. I was wondering if there were examples of hires of interim coaches from outside of the organization? The only one I could think of Martin St. Louis but I didn't dig very deeply.

I'll try Al MacNeil, Montreal Canadiens, 1971. Henri Richard hated him. Were supposed to get slaughtered by Boston in the playoffs. Won the cup with Dryden. Unfortunately I doubt MacNeil (or Dryden) is available now :).

Just checked...
During that season, the Habs struggled for a good portion of the season, at one point in danger of missing the playoffs for a second straight year—something that hadn't happened since they missed the playoffs three years in a row from 1919 to 1922. Ruel resigned 23 games into the season and MacNeil took the helm
Was MacNeil already a Montreal employee before being appointed interim coach?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I guess my post was not clear enough. I was wondering if there were examples of hires of interim coaches from outside of the organization? The only one I could think of Martin St. Louis but I didn't dig very deeply.

Sutter a year or two ago went from Anaheim to Calgary midseason.

He was just an advisor with the ducks though, never really had a "real" position.

He did the same with the Kings a decade ago, and Calgary 2 decades ago leaving from SJ midseaon

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Sutter a year or two ago went from Anaheim to Calgary midseason.

He was just an advisor with the ducks though, never really had a "real" position.

He did the same with the Kings a decade ago
Ah yes, Sutter. I had forgotten about him.

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018

:)

Good question. I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek and I'm unsure he was intended as interim.

This takes me back a long time. He had been the coach of the Canadiens' AHL affiliate.

I googled him after seeing your question and learned he had a broad career as player and in management. An interesting read if you have a moment to check Wikipedia. A lesser known name who was in the game at the NHL level for a long time.

Last edited:

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

Good question. I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek and I'm unsure he was intended as interim.

I will check though.
I checked Wiki. McNeil was an assistant coach before taking over the head coach role. I was watching hockey in 1970-71, but remember little it seems.

Reactions: HF Reader

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
I checked Wiki. McNeil was an assistant coach before taking over the head coach role. I was watching hockey in 1970-71, but remember little it seems.
Ah well, doesn't qualify for our purposes. Back to the drawing board!

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
No worries. I wasn't clear in my post about what I was asking for.

I was just kidding around. :)
You do ask a interesting question though.

Expressing my opinion is redundant at this point in the coach discussion but...
...Putting aside stability, newness of management, etc. I'd take an interim if available to instill defensive responsibilities that would benefit the permanent coach.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Would they have fired Dorion if the NHL hadn't penalized them a 1st round pick for that Dadonov trade? Even a 2nd round pick and I think Dorion is still GM.
Yes.

Dorion was an awful GM and a bad personality: insecure, sarcastic and vindictive.

They just had no replacement for him so he stuck around until his incompetence was so epic that he had to be immediately removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad