Confirmed with Link: Dorion fired. Staios interim GM.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Darche makes a ton of sense

We need a new coach asap though

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Darche is primarily a contract and negotiation guy. Doesnt have much to do with hockey opps. Do you want that guy being the GM? Would Staios have a more hands on role in player personel? Or they hire another assistant GM or does Bowness also get more player personel duties at the NHL level?

Elite prospects lists him as Director of hockey opps since 2019 and director of hockey ops + AGM since 2022.

This article also says Darche was involved in everything with Brisebois since joining the lighting: Stu Cowan: Mathieu Darche checks all the boxes in Canadiens' GM search

When I had a lengthy chat with Darche two years ago in Tampa, he said BriseBois had him involved in basically every project he was working on and that he was on a “very accelerated learning curve.

Either way with his experience developing his career as a player from CIS hockey to playing in the NHL, AHL (captain in Hamilton), and internationally, I’d be more confident in his hockey ops instincts than contract negotiation details so if that aspect is what he’s been working on that is a plus.

Last edited:

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
Oh boy... Andlauer is trending on x

Negative Nellies unite and show the new owner who runs the team,.. :popcorn:
Be careful of what you say Ach... this is the NHL, not the NFL.

It is gate driven. ~ 165 M is a hypothetical team revenue.
Ottawa, which breaks the bank on TV deals, gets ~ 75 M.

That leaves 90 M that must come from fans. That is a large chunk.. and any fan dissatisfaction, will hurt.

We all laughed at MelnykOut... Go talk to his estate and see how funny it was.. Ottawa debt in 2018, ~ 185 M. Ottawa debt at time of sale in excess of 300 M. In 4 years, the team added well over 115 M of debt.. that is 25 plus M a year (the difference is the total interest in those 4 years). In the first 15 years of Melnyk ownership, the average was ~10 M a year. The 150 to 185 is interest.

I am sure the Melnyk family must be overjoyed at losing a further 115 M... It is why they sold.. at over 300 M and rising, just interest on the debt is 15 plus M a year. Now add another 25 M.

Had the estate hung on to the team, by 2025 or so, their debts would have been un-manageable.

Andlauer et all, better come to understand: WHO RUNS the TEAM? That is the people who go or stay away on any game night.

Andlauer, unlike Melnyk, paid serious coin for this team.. He is most likely financing 400-450 M.. That is 30 M in repayment this year.. Does he really want to add 25 M, as Melnyk was?

If you start listening to fans, pretty soon you end up sitting with the --- Marv Levi
If you don't listen to fans, pretty soon you end up loosing 25 M a year --- Beech

Learn to walk a fine line.

• Haha
Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Oh boy... Andlauer is trending on x

Negative Nellies unite and show the new owner who runs the team,.. :popcorn:
Sad and pathetic post. These situstions are nothing alike. A vocal minority of new fans that dont buy tickets hammering on their keyboard is nothing like what happened with Your boy melnyk. Who put the team in this situation. Andlauer is doing his best to clean up Melnyks terrible mess. Alienating fans and businesses alike. But you don't even live here I'm pretty sure so how would you know.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Sad and pathetic post. These situstions are nothing alike. A vocal minority of new fans that dont buy tickets hammering on their keyboard is nothing like what happened with Your boy melnyk. Who put the team in this situation. Andlauer is doing his best to clean up Melnyks terrible mess. Alienating fans and businesses alike. But you don't even live here I'm pretty sure so how would you know.
Wassamatta? Why is it so sad? Just find it funny that it trending. I never hear about the MLSE not making a move. See the above post.

It is a pathetic attempt at a retort Berty.

The writing is there for you to read.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
The reality is they just came in to ownership/POHO a few months ago and have already removed the GM.

They probably have it in their mind they will find a GM who will then find a coach. This situation is completely fresh to them.

Compare that to fans who aren't seeing any hope on their 7th season with no playoffs in the last 6. There's a bit of a disconnect. And it's not like we're playing fun hockey where you want to come see anyone on this team. Who likes getting shut out 5-0 at home with 20 shots?

Reactions: Cosmix

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
If you don't listen to fans, pretty soon you end up loosing 25 M a year --- Beech

Learn to walk a fine line.
If the fans are so impatient they won't give the new owner some time they are idiots. He inherited a mess and had virtually no time to do anything before the season started. He certainly doesn't want to lose money but I'm dam sure he won't make a kneejerk reaction and harm the mid and long term viability of the team.
Bottom line is that Andlauer can always take the team and move it if he starts losing too much.

Reactions: Dionysus

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
The reality is they just came in to ownership/POHO a few months ago and have already removed the GM.

They probably have it in their mind they will find a GM who will then find a coach. This situation is completely fresh to them.

Compare that to fans who aren't seeing any hope on their 7th season with no playoffs in the last 6. There's a bit of a disconnect. And it's not like we're playing fun hockey where you want to come see anyone on this team. Who likes getting shut out 5-0 at home with 20 shots?
Would they have fired Dorion if the NHL hadn't penalized them a 1st round pick for that Dadonov trade? Even a 2nd round pick and I think Dorion is still GM.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
If the fans are so impatient they won't give the new owner some time they are idiots. He inherited a mess and had virtually no time to do anything before the season started. He certainly doesn't want to lose money but I'm dam sure he won't make a kneejerk reaction and harm the mid and long term viability of the team.
Bottom line is that Andlauer can always take the team and move it if he starts losing too much.
You are asking fans to constantly reset the Zero time line.

Eugene did this all the time.. "Well, we went to the ECF in 2017"... They had been shit since 2007.

If an employee is late every day for a month.. and on the 30th, he comes in an hour early.. does that erase everything?

resetting, the zero line should not be used. Thinking you can buy time, by resetting that line is foolish.

6 years of missed playoffs.. I and other fans do not care, if in that period, there were 6 owners! And, for the bulk of these 6 years, the misses have been large.. in 2018 to 2020, the team was a laughing stock. From 21-23 and counting, the misses have been large enough that there was; NO, near misses.

This is what fans see.... New owner, old owner... who cares... large misses. A team that is redefining losing. This is what they see.

Andlauer will not move this team.. That is BS that has been bandied about as a scare tactic forever.. It is BS. All possible markets have dried up.. The Quebec city BS is just that, BS.

Winnipeg is averaging 11 K fans.. They had the owner on TV a few weeks ago... No move talk, or BS.

At some point, Andlauer needs to be damn careful. Or he will see what Eugene was seeing ..empty building and 25 M yearly loses.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I’m gonna get killled for this but where this team is at I honestly wouldn’t mind a guy like chiarelli. We have the core set. We have d. He just needs to tinker. He just needs to get a couple complimentary pieces.

He was undoubtedly bad managing edmonton. But that was a team that required some saving. Maybe he went overboard.

And he can look at this team and say “this piece doesn’t work we need to replace it with x”.

Last edited:

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Would they have fired Dorion if the NHL hadn't penalized them a 1st round pick for that Dadonov trade? Even a 2nd round pick and I think Dorion is still GM.

I think he was gone no matter what. For PR purposes they lumped it in with the loss of the 1st rounder news. No need to have two bad news days. Andlauer strongly hinted that the loss of the 1st rounder wasn't the full reason for the firing as well.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
If an employee is late every day for a month.. and on the 30th, he comes in an hour early.. does that erase everything?
Bad analogy. If the company is sold and management is replaced the new management will see how things unfold before making any moves.
This is what fans see.... New owner, old owner... who cares... large misses. A team that is redefining losing. This is what they see.
As I said if the fans can't distinguish between the old and new regimes and give Andlauer some time they are idiots. Why should MA make a stopgap decision for the sake of "making a move".???
Andlauer will not move this team.. That is BS that has been bandied about as a scare tactic forever.. It is BS. All possible markets have dried up.. The Quebec city BS is just that, BS.
Andlauer owes the Senators fans nothing. He just paid a billion dollars to try and make it work in Ottawa. But if the fans think he can turn it around overnight they are sadly mistaken. And if they continue to stay away I don't blame him for looking at options, including Quebec City.

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He cannot move the team without NHL approval. Given past NHL history on moves, I think the team would remain here and a new owner would be found.

I think he was gone no matter what. For PR purposes they lumped it in with the loss of the 1st rounder news. No need to have two bad news days. Andlauer strongly hinted that the loss of the 1st rounder wasn't the full reason for the firing as well.
He said something about "straws". The coaching staff has "straws" attached too.

I wonder what "best in class" means? Is Staois as POHO "best in class"?

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Can anybody think of examples of where an interim coach was named? And, what happened in those scenarios - were the outcomes positive? I mean, if a team is replacing a coach in mid season, the team is probably not doing well just like the Senators are now.

Just curious - maybe there's some examples.

I'll name one to get the conversation going - Martin St. Louis - link provided below.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Can anybody think of examples of where an interim coach was named? And, what happened in those scenarios - were the outcomes positive? I mean, if a team is replacing a coach in mid season, the team is probably not doing well just like the Senators are now.

Just curious - maybe there's some examples.

I'll name one to get the conversation going - Martin St. Louis - link provided below.

Some recent, and some Sens:

Berube - Won cup with Blues, kept on long-term
Brunette - Left after the season of Panthers as they hired Maurice
Crawford - Left after the season when the Sens hired Smith
Murray - Returned to GM role after Sens hired Hartsburgh
Woodcroft - Kept on with the Oilers
King - Returned as an Assisntant when they hired Richardson
Lowry - Moved to Asst. in Calgary after replacing Maurice and being replaced with Bowness
Yeo - Moved to Vancouver as an assistant after being replaced by Torts

Pretty much every single interim hire is from within an organization. We are looking at Capuano.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Some recent, and some Sens:

Berube - Won cup with Blues, kept on long-term
Brunette - Left after the season of Panthers as they hired Maurice
Lowry - Moved to Asst. in Calgary after replacing Maurice and being replaced with Bowness

Pretty much every single interim hire is from within an organization. We are looking at Capuano.
I agree. It is easy to do. Capuano as interim HC. I don't like it, but it is likely!

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Berube - Won cup with Blues
Brunette - Left after the season of Panthers as they hired Mauice
Clouston was an interim coach, stuck around for a few years with us afterwards.

Cassidy took over on an interim basis when the Bruins fired Julien. he stuck around for 6 years of making the playoffs.

Bowness took over on an interim basis when Dallas fired Mongomery, went to the finals and stuck it out 3 years before moving on to Wpg.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I agree. It is easy to do. Capuano as interim HC. I don't like it, but it is likely!

Capuano's resume is a HEELLLLL of a lot stronger than DJ's. I'm not a huge fan but he's more qualified than the guy currently running things.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
1 million percent. Are you serious? They have no thing in the pipeline and are last place in year 7 of a rebuild.

There is no chance he would have been retained. He cant work with others and was completely out of his element.

He has been the teams biggest issue. There is absolutely no chance this happens he should have been fired before DJ.

Capuano's resume is a HEELLLLL of a lot stronger than DJ's. I'm not a huge fan but he's more qualified than the guy currently running things.
You cant be serious man. The teams D core has been by far the most mismanaged part of this team its not remotely close.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
1 million percent. Are you serious? They have no thing in the pipeline and are last place in year 7 of a rebuild.

There is no chance he would have been retained. He cant work with others and was completely out of his element.

He has been the teams biggest issue. There is absolutely no chance this happens he should have been fired before DJ.

You cant be serious man. The teams D core has been by far the most mismanaged part of this team its not remotely close.

We don't know what instructions Capuano is under and simply being in charge of deployment is not the problem here.

Let me be clear. I don't want Capuano as coach. I'm not a fan. He is however a much more accomplished coach in the professional ranks than DJ Smith. Worked his way up from the East Coast. Has made the playoffs multiple times in the NHL and has even won a round. Even won a round with a top 4 D of Nick Leddy, Johnny Boychuk, Travis Hamonic and Calvin De Haan. Yikes. DJ has nothing like any of this on his resume.

Capuano is not the answer here long-term but if he ends up as interim he's almost certainly better than DJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad