Confirmed with Link: Dorion fired. Staios interim GM.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Oh. 1970s waterfall SDLC. You're dating yourself.
The waterfall method is still useful for certain projects that have a limited time duration or budget. Furthermore, the technique narrows the emphasis to provide a fuller grasp of all software outputs from the start, establishing expectations.

Do companies still use waterfall methodology?

Still in use and not a bad choice for this project given the wide spread stakeholders and the relative small number of interfaces.

2023 Quick Guide Waterfall Methodology | monday.com Blog

Is the Waterfall methodology still used? Yes, even in 2022, a wide range of companies use the Waterfall methodology in various industries. According to a study by PMI, 56% of projects used traditional — AKA Waterfall — methods in the past 12 months.Jan 1, 2023

Not just the 70s which is a long time ago . Still alive and well.

The concepts are easy to understand for most people. There are advantages and disadvantages to any methodology.

Either way it won't be a couple of hours which was the point

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I think whenever they start looking for a GM, and I'm sure they already have a pretty good idea of who they'll be targeting, it will be someone billingual and I'm almost convinced of that.

Owner speaks french and at the same time Staios doesn't speak it so they'll want someone who can communicate to the fanbase in both languages. They're trying to bring the Gatineau side over and they are pushing towards that. They need to at least have a guy who can answer questions in french.

I really feel like Darche will be the guy and they will run with Staios until season end. In the offseason they'll try to bring Darche over.

Reactions: Crosside

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The waterfall method is still useful for certain projects that have a limited time duration or budget. Furthermore, the technique narrows the emphasis to provide a fuller grasp of all software outputs from the start, establishing expectations.

Still in use and not a bad choice for this project given the wide spread stakeholders and the relative small number of interfaces.

Is the Waterfall methodology still used? Yes, even in 2022, a wide range of companies use the Waterfall methodology in various industries. According to a study by PMI, 56% of projects used traditional — AKA Waterfall — methods in the past 12 months.Jan 1, 2023

The concepts are easy to understand for most people. There are advantages and disadvantages to any methodology.

You kinda injected yourself in the conversation which started as a joke about ArriveCan. If you're interested in what you can achieve in a few hours, have a read

Toronto tech companies cloned ArriveCan in under 48 hours to show the government overpaid millions

Surely a simple app like they'd need to register contracts could be stood up quickly if companies can replicate ArriveCan literally overnight

I don't wish to carry on the conversation with you though so let's drop it.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
You kinda injected yourself in the conversation which started as a joke about ArriveCan. If you're interested in what you can achieve in a few hours, have a read

Toronto tech companies cloned ArriveCan in under 48 hours to show the government overpaid millions

Surely a simple app like they'd need to register contracts could be stood up quickly if companies can replicate ArriveCan literally overnight

lol at your example .

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

This process also called other names, but the same principles apply. It is the Systems Engineering discipline in essence. INCOSE is the professional organization that preaches this practice in the systems engineering world.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
This process also called other names, but the same principles apply. It is the Systems Engineering discipline in essence. INCOSE is the professional organization that preaches this practice in the systems engineering world.
I was trying to keep it relatively straight forward with what I thought might be more commonly understood concepts. But my point was even though its not complex , there is enough to it that it wasn't going to be "stood up" anywhere near complete in a couple hours

Reactions: Cosmix

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I was trying to keep it relatively straight forward with what I thought might be more commonly understood concepts. But my point was even though its not complex , there is enough to it that it wasn't going to be "stood up" anywhere near complete in a couple hours
One thing the systems engineering process stresses is that projects most often fail and are 100 X more expensive because of mistakes in the planning process. You got to get all the stakeholders involved in the process in the early stages like concept of operations, developing functional requirements, etc. It's a simple concept, yet it's hard to do and is often not done well.

I was fine with what you posted as it was recognizable although I probably haven't followed the conversation & the back & forth involved. Too many other things happening lately, so just take a quick look in here and then it's off to other things.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

I remember the first time I used ArriveCan, I couldn't figure out how to answer the first question because it seemed like they hadn't considered that Canadian citizen could be visiting Canada but lives in the U.S. I called them and was advised to check the Other box iirc. The form you filled out at the Airport that was used before ArriveCan was equally bizarre. It wasn't clear which address & phone number you needed to enter for a Canadian citizen living in U.S. but was going to quarantine at a Canadian address. So they called me at my U.S. phone number thinking they could reach me there while I was in Canada. It didn't matter in the end because I think they were overwhelmed and just couldn't keep up and do much.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Interesting. Never heard on INCOSE before. Did a quick google on them. Seems there last Canadian meeting was in October and they reviewed Bent Flyvberg's How Big Things Get Done. Bent is an interesting fellow. I follow him on LinkedIn. I've been meaning to read that book. The INCOSE review of it is online, might be more style to have a Coles notes level summary.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Steve Staios' plan to create stability for the Senators

Steve Staios and Claude Giroux greeted each other after the Ottawa Senators’ 6-3 win over the rival Toronto Maple Leafs on Wednesday night with the kind exuberant handshake that suggested this wasn’t a run-of-the-mill victory.

Of course it wasn’t. It came some 48 hours or so after Staios, the Senators’ president of hockey operations, addressed Giroux and his teammates and basically told them to take a deep breath — that they would get through this adversity together.
“Yes, and I addressed it with them,” said Staios, who also had Daniel Alfredsson say some words in that meeting. “Inevitably every team is going to face adversity. We got hit with a lot of adversity in a short period of time. I thought it was the right thing to do to address the team and let them know that, ‘Hey, this is adversity that we’re facing,’ and it’s my job to eliminate some of that noise for them and create the environment and stability where they can just go out and play.”

He paused before adding with emphasis: “I really want to make sure that we’re adding stability and confidence to the group.”
Good article here.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
If they're taking a first round pick away, I'm certain that they've got enough information to suggest it wasn't a mistake or incompetence.
The League is throwing Andlauer a bone here. He just paid $950 million for a team that's worth not even half that. A rising tide lifts all boats, as they say.

The penalty could have been worse.

• Wow
Reactions: Agent Zuuuub

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The League is throwing Andlauer a bone here. He just paid $950 million for a team that's worth not even half that. A rising tide lifts all boats, as they say.

The penalty could have been worse.
What examples of "worse" do you have in mind?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad