Confirmed with Link: Dorion fired. Staios interim GM.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I don't think Staios or Andlauer are deadset on making the playoffs, they both themselves said they had a ton more work to do, lots of things to address.

In reality, the playoffs are not likely, nor a must; even more so now with all the injuries

Don't think a losing streak is going to force a coaching change

The prior ownership set aside and made the incredibly idiotic FYOUS plan. That's out the window. There are no set expectations and goals carrying over these regimes.

Reactions: LiseL

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I think we’ll get a telling look at the philosophy of Staois today based on the call ups.

Kastelic injured, do we call up an enforcer to replace him like Imama or MacEwen? Or do we call up a player like Smejkal?

Sens have been a 12th forward enforcer team for as long as I can remember - save a small period under Boucher. I’m very interested to see what our approach will be.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think we’ll get a telling look at the philosophy of Staois today based on the call ups.

Kastelic injured, do we call up an enforcer to replace him like Imama or MacEwen? Or do we call up a player like Smejkal?

Sens have been a 12th forward enforcer team for as long as I can remember - save a small period under Boucher. I’m very interested to see what our approach will be.
In fairness I think macewen can offer more than what we got from kastelic this year

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
I don't think Staios or Andlauer are deadset on making the playoffs, they both themselves said they had a ton more work to do, lots of things to address.

In reality, the playoffs are not likely, nor a must; even more so now with all the injuries

Don't think a losing streak is going to force a coaching change

The prior ownership set aside and made the incredibly idiotic FYOUS plan. That's out the window. There are no set expectations and goals carrying over these regimes.
there is an economic recession coming.. Ask Mark Chipman in Winnipeg about attendance. They had him on TV

So, a team that has missed the last 6 years. An owner that dropped 950 million. And now come March, the general census is; no playoffs, does attendance drop to 16 K? and no playoff gate!

So, Michael and investors, who may need 30 M to cover debt on purchase, now need to add 10-20 M in loses.

f***, old Michael has a set!!

And the York's at 100 M and so ~ 5 M in debt interest, will add 1-2 M in operating debt. A cool 6-7 M... And there is a recession!! so, they may not be selling that much $20 a pound cherries, come next summer.

Did you see old Michael yesterday, nearly pulled a Dorion and threw a bottle against the wall.. You could see the lips and the F bomb.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
HOCKEY OPERATIONS
DON SWEENEYGENERAL MANAGER
SCOTT BRADLEYSENIOR ADVISOR TO THE GENERAL MANAGER
EVAN GOLDAssistant General Manager, Boston Bruins and General Manager, Providence Bruins
JAMIE LANGENBRUNNERAssistant General Manager-Player Personnel

Langenburner was on radio yesterday.. very mature, very articulate.

48 years old, An American.. so ins with Brady, Josh, Jacob, Jake, Tyler

This is the kind of new GM that needs considering

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
HOCKEY OPERATIONS
EVAN GOLDAssistant General Manager, Boston Bruins and General Manager, Providence Bruins

Chychrun represents Canada internationally, and Tyler Boucher shouldn't be listed in the same sentence, lol.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
Chychrun represents Canada internationally, and Tyler Boucher shouldn't be listed in the same sentence, lol.
apologies.. Tyler Kleven

As for Chyc.. he is still part American and one of his own, will be helpful.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
apologies.. Tyler Kleven

As for Chyc.. he is still part American and one of his own, will be helpful.
Hahaha, that's my mistake. I have PTSD.

On Chychrun, I don't think he considers himself an American, as he represents Canada nationally. Anyways, I think Langenbrunner would be a great candidate to consider.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Well, it wasn't prevented, and now two teams want their pound of flesh, the league is embarrassed, and a new owner is wondering how he inherited this mess when the league knew about it 18 months ago and didn't think to let him in on how big a deal it was

We also don't know if this is a one off, it's entirely possible this has happened in the past, but the acquiring team never tried to flip the player to a new team so no fallout came. The lack of having proof this is a 1 off is an issue in and of itself.

Sometimes it's worth improving on the current system, even if you think it's working just fine. This could have all been avoided, along with some other issues like GMs that fail to submit QOs on time, or players forgetting to submit their updated lists, by having a better contract management system in place.
You missed what I meant. Agent and team would inform the league when a list is updated. League doesn’t need to know who is on it, just that it’s valid.

It’s not on the league to do that, and Andlauer isn’t upset at the league for that.

He’s upset at prior management and the Melnyk ownership who told them about it and assured him it wasn’t a big deal.
He’s pissed at the league.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You missed what I meant. Agent and team would inform the league when a list is updated. League doesn’t need to know who is on it, just that it’s valid.
Sure, that could work, instead of a central registry of all the lists, a central registry of which lists are still valid. The league does technically need to know what teams are on it prior to approving a trade, but the benefit of a central registry is you could automate that so that no person at the league actually sees the list, it's just crosschecked when a trade is attempted.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Zero reason to call up an enforcer. Look at last night in Boston - that rat Marchand does a can opener on a Leafs player, injuring him. What did Ryan Reaves do about it? Nothing, because the Leafs were on the road and they couldn't risk overplaying Reaves and getting caved in on a bad matchup in a close game. So if your enforcer can't go out and beat the snot out of Marchand when he literally injured one of your guys, why in the world is he on your team? It is a wasted roster spot.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
So, I think Dorion gets another GM job somewhere in the league (if he's allowed). It was only a month ago that TSN was praising him for drafting all these great young players.
TSN would probably hire him before any NHL team would. :)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
It would be.

The NHLPA doesn't want it
The concept of having a central registry for NTC and related contract movement issues is interesting. When a team is trading for a player it obviously wants to know, before the trade is agreed, what the NTC/NMV clauses are including the teams on a player's no trade list. It seems that the players may want their lists kept secret and access to the information limited to teams they are being traded to. I am certain that the NHL could develop a database that contains the data and treats it as private information that would only be made available to a team considering a trade for a player.

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
TSN would probably hire him before any NHL team would. :)
You're probably right about TSN hiring him. PD may not get another GM job but head scout or even Asisstant GM? I don't know.

Over time the trade he made might not be as huge a problem for another team, especially if he seems to have learned from it.

IpsoPostFacto

No opinions, just reactions
Dec 17, 2017
HOCKEY OPERATIONS

no opinion about Langenbrunner per se, but being an American (or not) needn't be on the list of reasons. What kind of "ins" does he have besides sharing a passport, or maybe having high sticked one of their fathers in the face. It's not like we are in Japan trying to sign American players.

Three from your list managed to sign long term with a Canadian GM barely capable of a coherent sentence, and Chych doesn't fit in the category in the first place.

Reactions: DrEasy

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
You're probably right about TSN hiring him. PD may not get another GM job but head scout or even Asisstant GM? I don't know.

Over time the trade he made might not be as huge a problem for another team, especially if he seems to have learned from it.
I would have to think he'd land on his feet as a scout somewhere. Really have a hard time seeing anything in management, even if it's as an assistant.

Reactions: Norris4Norris

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
I would have to think he'd land on his feet as a scout somewhere. Really have a hard time seeing anything in management, even if it's as an assistant.
It's funny about how a person in sports is forgiven as much as he is valuable to that sport.

The all-stars in the NBA, NFL etc. can commit similar crimes and some players find a new spot (the good ones) and some end up retiring.

I guess, my question is, how valuable is PD to a new team? I think there is something to his way of drafting, but your probably right that management isn't likely.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Been thinking about this more.

Two buzz words in app development today are agile and minimum viable product

You could stand up an MVP product in hours.

Team, player, AAV, years, movement restrictions
Just chiming in to clarify that MVP isn't a buzzword. It's a necessary step in a companies getting a product to market, whether it's an app, a service or a physical product.

Otherwise... You could knock out a simple app using powerapp in a work shift. Whether their dataset is prepped for doing this is a whole other question...

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
It's funny about how a person in sports is forgiven as much as he is valuable to that sport.

The all-stars in the NBA, NFL etc. can commit similar crimes and some players find a new spot (the good ones) and some end up retiring.

I guess, my question is, how valuable is PD to a new team? I think there is something to his way of drafting, but your probably right that management isn't likely.
An NBA player or star offensive player in the NFL has a greater impact and is exponentially harder to find than a general manager or scout. I think he has value to a team as a scout, and it isn't as if what he did was some sort of criminally prosecutable scandal.

Even if the Dadonov thing never happened, I'd have been shocked if he was rehired as a GM in the NHL. Shocked.

Reactions: Norris4Norris

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Just chiming in to clarify that MVP isn't a buzzword. It's a necessary step in a companies getting a product to market, whether it's an app, a service or a physical product.

Otherwise... You could knock out a simple app using powerapp in a work shift. Whether their dataset is prepped for doing this is a whole other question...
Perhaps buzzword is the wrong choice of words. But it is a relatively new term.

Point being an app could be stood up relatively quick

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Perhaps buzzword is the wrong choice of words. But it is a relatively new term.

Point being an app could be stood up relatively quick
For sure.

Id be happy enough if the NHL just had contract terms on hand to verify when they join a trade call.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
The concept of having a central registry for NTC and related contract movement issues is interesting. When a team is trading for a player it obviously wants to know, before the trade is agreed, what the NTC/NMV clauses are including the teams on a player's no trade list. It seems that the players may want their lists kept secret and access to the information limited to teams they are being traded to. I am certain that the NHL could develop a database that contains the data and treats it as private information that would only be made available to a team considering a trade for a player.
Honest question, because I keep seeing this idea getting brought up...

Do people not know that the NHL already has a central registry which is located in Montreal?

Central Registry

The NHL's Central Registry Department is responsible for maintaining all player information. It maintains the NHL clubs' reserve lists which contain the names and vital status information of all players a club has proprietary rights to, either contractual rights or exclusive negotiation rights. It records the status of each player with regard to contracts, waivers, free agency etc. It tracks a player from the first time he is drafted until the completion of his career as a player.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad