Confirmed with Link: Dorion fired. Staios interim GM.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
Most of the contract is standardized from what I understand, so really all you're tracking is dollars, dates, bonuses, retention and NTC/NMC lists.

It's not the complexity of the system that's a barrier, it's the will to do it.
Agreed... perplexing how the NHL can be so damned obtuse at times, resistant to even practical and sensible change. It should be noted though that part of the issue is that they are not sole arbiters given the nature of the rather adversarial 'partnership' that exists between NHL and NHLPA. What's mystifying if not hypicritcal is how harshly they penalize a team for not getting trade details correct, all the while feigning ignorance as if they have zero accountability for validating trade terms for a deal they reviewed and approved.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Despite everything that happened in the last week, this is an incredibly positive moment for the franchise and I couldn't be more optimistic about the state of this team going forward.

First, we now have some clear proof that Andlauer is here to win and he means business. He did not think twice to make this move and he knew it was needed. He also knew that this mistake was something that not only the organization would never let happen, but also that was the needed response for the fans and probably the players and the coaching staff as well. The timing of the decision was crucial and he made sure it was done quickly. He did it in a timely manner, but also left some dignity to Dorion along the process despite his frustrations. That's a sign of a true leader.

Second, his unwavering support for the players has been shown as well. Supporting Pinto, who's highly respected by the coaching staff and the players, was a great move to show the players that they are getting support from their owner even through difficult times. Have to think Pinto felt great to see that and the players too. Players around the league see that.

Third, we've just bolstered our front office with the addition of Nichol. Another great move by the organization that's for the players.

Finally, the team is trying to be first class in all aspects. Getting rid of Dorion was probably the biggest and most important move to keep the integrity of those words.

Andlauer is hitting all the targets right now. All of them. I am feeling relief that all of this is happening and I can't believe Dorion is finally gone. It has been a long time coming and fans deserve to have this moment of appreciation towards a new, better and improved Ottawa Senators Franchise.

West Coast Eagles

Sep 24, 2008
Bne
I think Andlauer was upset with the punishment (1st round raft pick).

Appealing the punishment is definitely something you do when you feel it is excessive.

I did not hear Andlauer say that "The Senators were completely negligent".

Have you ever worked with lawyers? I have and many of them are pretty ferocious when required to be so.
Pretty sure he said “we were downright negligent”

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I think Andlauer was upset with the punishment (1st round raft pick).

Appealing the punishment is definitely something you do when you feel it is excessive.

I did not hear Andlauer say that "The Senators were completely negligent".

Have you ever worked with lawyers? I have and many of them are pretty ferocious when required to be so.
He said appealing it would be futile. There’s always the hope that it’s amended.

He also said the Sens were downright negligent, and had no due diligence or due care.

19:20. “We were downright negligent”.

Yes I have worked with lawyers.

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Most of the contract is standardized from what I understand, so really all you're tracking is dollars, dates, bonuses, retention and NTC/NMC lists.

It's not the complexity of the system that's a barrier, it's the will to do it.
@WallyD

Hey, maybe we could get GC Strategies to build it. I mean for ArriveCan they only charged the feds 46M. Those guys must be hungry by now

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
He said appealing it would be futile. There’s always the hope that it’s amended.

He also said the Sens were downright negligent, and had no due diligence or due cause.

I'd bet it will be amended. This will die down. There's already a lot out there in the media about the league having withheld information as part of the sale process.

I think the league has lost some credibility on this one. So did Dorion obviously. He might have been employable had this not materialized, but I doubt he is now.

Reactions: RayMartyniukTotems

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Like Andlauer I'd be pissed too...a first rounder is brutal and why no one said anything upto this point what kind of shit is that...f***ing Buttman...I guess you have to have the best price for the franchise and can't have any warts

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
Exactly! We are not talking rocket science here. This is rather simple central repository for all NHL teams / contracts with some obvious access and disclosure requirements. This information is better held in an app than a spreadsheet, so individual record access can be logged for security and forensic purposes.
As a retired computer programmer, totally agree. App would be the way to go. Each player would be a separate record that could include all of his info, not just NTC/NMC. When the player leaves the league or retires, they simply deactivate the record. Security would handle who can enter, modify, delete or access the main record and subsets of that record such as clauses, contracts, etc.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I'd bet it will be amended. This will die down. There's already a lot out there in the media about the league having withheld information as part of the sale process.

I think the league has lost some credibility on this one. So did Dorion obviously. He might have been employable had this not materialized, but I doubt he is now.
Andlauer seems to be the upset at the Sens manager/ownership group for the info/non-info he got during the sales process. I’m unsure it was the league withholding the information, it seems that a lot of that is being directed at the Sens board of directors and management.

At 11:40 of the press conference he says, paraphrased:

“I was told about it, I knew about it. I was told it was a non-issue from the sellers standpoint. I don’t know about you, but I consider a 1st round pick a big issue”.

Re Pinto, league definitely should have been forthcoming.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022

He also said the Sens were downright negligent, and had no due diligence or due care.

19:20. “We were downright negligent”.

f***ing Dorion what in Gods name was he doing what a Maroon

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

The Dadonov debacle isn’t the only reason why Dorion is out of a job, as Andlauer also alluded to the fact that Dorion put the Senators in a salary-cap “pickle” — despite not having Shane Pinto locked up to a contract extension. “I think a lot of the decisions that have been made or some of the issues we’ve had could have been avoided,” said Andlauer.
Andlauer was made aware of this potential Dadonov ruling while he was undergoing his due diligence process before finalizing the sale of the Senators. But he was told it would be a “non-issue” — meaning the penalty likely wouldn’t amount to much. On Wednesday, a visibly agitated Andlauer asked rhetorically, “I don’t know if a first-rounder is a non-issue for you guys. But it is to me.”
In his first public comments about Pinto, Andlauer also expressed frustration over how that process was handled. Pinto was suspended by the league for 41 games last week for violating the NHL’s gambling protocols.

“It was about the timing,” said Andlauer. “When this happened — that this young man was under investigation — the organization should have been made aware.”

We are truly moving forward from a better place now. It may be a hurdle but this group will cross it and move this onwards and upwards

Last edited:

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
As a retired computer programmer, totally agree. App would be the way to go. Each player would be a separate record that could include all of his info, not just NTC/NMC. When the player leaves the league or retires, they simply deactivate the record. Security would handle who can enter, modify, delete or access the main record and subsets of that record such as clauses, contracts, etc.
Exactly... not hard to tell you retired from a similar IT field to mine.

Reactions: LiseL

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
@WallyD

Hey, maybe we could get GC Strategies to build it. I mean for ArriveCan they only charged the feds 46M. Those guys must be hungry by now
They're probably too busy writing the new and improved GoC Phoenix payroll application.

Reactions: LiseL

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
So, I think Dorion gets another GM job somewhere in the league (if he's allowed). It was only a month ago that TSN was praising him for drafting all these great young players.

• Haha
Reactions: Agent Zuuuub

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
He won't micro-manage, but each move will be looked at. It should really have been that way from the beginning, but we didn't have a good owner. A Zibanejad trade is strike one, kind of thing.

each move a GM makes, will be scrutinised by the POHO … and it should stop there… the owner hired a POHO for just that purpose. MA strikes me a someone who knows what he does not know, and does not have personal relationships with a GMs counterparts In the league

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
So, I think Dorion gets another GM job somewhere in the league (if he's allowed). It was only a month ago that TSN was praising him for drafting all these great young players.
After this Dadonov issue, not going to happen.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Been thinking about this more.

Two buzz words in app development today are agile and minimum viable product

You could stand up an MVP product in hours.

Team, player, AAV, years, movement restrictions

Exactly! We are not talking rocket science here. This is rather simple central repository for all NHL teams / contracts with some obvious access and disclosure requirements. This information is better held in an app than a spreadsheet, so individual record access can be logged for security and forensic purposes.

Yeah, the MVP could literally be 1 spreadsheet + 1 human to manage it (could be the same human to whom trades are communicated)

V1.0 could be an AirTable hooked up with LDAP to enforce authentication and authorization.

Definitely not rocket science.

Reactions: JD1

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
8 years as a GM in the NHL. Even as the lowest paid guy in the league, he can spend the rest of his life sipping Pina coladas in the Caribbean
He was making 750K when COVID hit. You get what you pay for.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Yeah, the MVP could literally be 1 spreadsheet + 1 human to manage it (could be the same human to whom trades are communicated)

V1.0 could be an AirTable hooked up with LDAP to enforce authentication and authorization.

Definitely not rocket science.

There are literally fans on here who would track something like this for fun if it were public. Should be easy for someone paid to do it to ensure no f ups.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I'm still dumbfounded that a poster mentioned that you evaluate solely on results and not the things that you did to get those results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad