Confirmed with Link: Dorion fired. Staios interim GM.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Hopefully that's in reference to a turning point for the franchise. Lets get serious the last 17 years have been a disaster outside of a few fluke runs. 1997 to 2007 was the only time it was actually good to be a sens fan. The rest of this franchises 23 years have been fan torture.
Sens fans are tough. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Live and.....who am I kidding? I'm tired. Can we please have some peace and a thoughtfully run, competitive hockey club? Lol.

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
Andlauer inspires major confidence when I hear him talk. Accountability is a word he uses often. Forget the Dorion tomf***ery of the Dadinov situation, it means he'll be assessing every move made and how it impacts our chances of winning from here on in- and I think we're all on board with that.

Agree, from this UK fan coming in peace.

This is harsh but rooting for you folks. Sens have always been one of my faves despite their previous toxic ownership and GM bumbling. Looking forward to seeing what turnaround management can bring to the franchise and always happy to cheer on a fellow small-market underdog.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Andlauer inspires major confidence when I hear him talk. Accountability is a word he uses often. Forget the Dorion tomf***ery of the Dadinov situation, it means he'll be assessing every move made and how it impacts our chances of winning from here on in- and I think we're all on board with that.

Uhhh, no. My impression is the complete opposite. Andlauer is not the micromanaging type. But obviously, if you make a major f***up, he'll hold people accountable.

Reactions: Cosmix

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Uhhh, no. My impression is the complete opposite. Andlauer is not the micromanaging type. But obviously, if you make a major f***up, he'll hold people accountable.
Yeah, I hope he stays out of the hockey side of things. I understand his role at the press conference yesterday because the league concluded an investigation into the team itself. So, obviously, he's the ultimate representative of the team and should be the one to speak on that issue.

Going forward, I hope he leaves most of the talking to the hockey ops.

Reactions: swiftwin

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
He won't micro-manage, but each move will be looked at. It should really have been that way from the beginning, but we didn't have a good owner. A Zibanejad trade is strike one, kind of thing.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
That's literally micromanaging.
Well, each move will be looked at, so call it what you want. He won't be involved in decisions though, but the way he preached accountability, you can believe he'll be looking at things rather closely.

At least that's what I took out of it.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Hall is clearly seen as a bit of a flawed or just support player, regardless of that NJ success. He's made the rounds. Not quite on the same level, but it's imo akin to us whining about losing Hoffman because he went and scored 40+ in Florida after. Does anyone really care about that loss at this point? And we didn't even get anything useful back like they did with Larsson.
Uh, we got a used rusted boat anchor back!

He is. This is all a mistake. He was supposed to get an award for being INSPIRING not a FIRING
For Machiavellian behaviour!

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

senseimike

Dec 6, 2015
Anyone else get an even better vibe from Andlauer from the press conference? It sucks to fire someone but he seems like he has a really good understanding of how to run a business well, instill faith in his staff, etc. I love this guy. What a breath of fresh air after Melnyk!

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I feel sorry for the next guy already.
Why?

The next guy to become GM will have the support of Staois and Andlauerer because they chose him.

If there was any accountability at all Dorion wouldn't have lasted past 2018.

Thankfully that's in the org now.
Or not hired in the first place as the replacement for Murray.

The result of having ~20 local partners who contributed a relatively small amount but are more "fan" than "owner" is that there will be leaks.
The President of the team could inform the chairman of the Board, the majority shareholder and not the smaller shareholders of major issues.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He didn’t seem too upset about the punishment, straight up said there was likely no point in appealing because everything was in the 73 page report. He said they were completely negligent, and it was completely avoidable.

He was upset about the way it was done without letting him know prior to, or even after buying the Sens. And rightfully so.
I think Andlauer was upset with the punishment (1st round raft pick).

Appealing the punishment is definitely something you do when you feel it is excessive.

I did not hear Andlauer say that "The Senators were completely negligent".

Have you ever worked with lawyers? I have and many of them are pretty ferocious when required to be so.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I was on the Reynolds hype train when it was announced that he was going to join the bid for the Senators. Was bummed his party withdrew but in the end I think we got the best owner of the bunch.

What this organization truly needed was accountability and respectability. The former comes from holding people accountable in which Andlaur has done so far in his short tenure as owner. No gimmicks, no self inflicted spotlight, just straight direct house cleaning and improvements.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
He won't micro-manage, but each move will be looked at. It should really have been that way from the beginning, but we didn't have a good owner. A Zibanejad trade is strike one, kind of thing.

That's literally micromanaging.

It's not "literally micromanaging". I have people that work for me. I give them the time, space, authorities etc to do what they are supposed to do. I evaluate them on the results, which includes looking at the details of their work and decisions. Micromanaging would be getting into the weeds of and influencing or interfering with decisions and processes.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
It's not "literally micromanaging". I have people that work for me. I give them the time, space, authorities etc to do what they are supposed to do. I evaluate them on the results, which includes looking at the details of their work and decisions. Micromanaging would be getting into the weeds of and influencing or interfering with decisions and processes.

Exactly, you evaluate based on results. Not based on every individual move. Evaluating every single move is getting in the weeds.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Micromanaging owners happens far more often than people know. Most of these owners are hard driving, self made people, and they didn't get to where they are by not being demanding and involved. Let's look at Carolina - Tom Dundon is plenty involved and constantly offers his views. It's not a problem for them, though, because they are winning. All you can hope for is that your micromanager is a smart guy who gets it. Melnyk didn't get it, and knew just enough to be dangerous. Andlauer is a very smart dude and a passionate hockey guy, and although he will be very involved I think he will listen to logic and experienced hockey people. And, more than anything else, this guy wants to win so badly it hurts, and I DIG that...

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
This is a terrible way to evaluate someone

He wants to pretend Dorion did a good job because the team is now possibly a playoff team that has a bright future after trading away more prime talent than any other team in the last decade and then sucking for 6 years.

Could make the same awful argument to say Jim Benning was a good GM. After all he did draft Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser and Demko and look how well the Canucks are doing!

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
Been thinking about this more.

Two buzz words in app development today are agile and minimum viable product

You could stand up an MVP product in hours.

Team, player, AAV, years, movement restrictions
Exactly! We are not talking rocket science here. This is rather simple central repository for all NHL teams / contracts with some obvious access and disclosure requirements. This information is better held in an app than a spreadsheet, so individual record access can be logged for security and forensic purposes.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Exactly! We are not talking rocket science here. This is rather simple central repository for all NHL teams / contracts with some obvious access and disclosure requirements. This information is better held in an app than a spreadsheet, so individual record access can be logged for security and forensic purposes.
Most of the contract is standardized from what I understand, so really all you're tracking is dollars, dates, bonuses, retention and NTC/NMC lists.

It's not the complexity of the system that's a barrier, it's the will to do it.

Reactions: DrEasy

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Me too. I would evaluate moves made by my employees when I gave them leash and if they f***ed up on one, I'd take them through why they did, if they kept doing it...well....Dorion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad