Confirmed with Link: Dorion fired. Staios interim GM.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Re: Andlauer talking about meeting with Dorion to demand his resignation. Shouldn't that have been Steve Staios' call? What's the point of having a POHO if you're just going to make all his decisions anyway? I've been happy with Andlauer's ownership so far but his insistence on being in the spotlight and front and centre of every hockey issue is starting to give me Melnyk vibes.

Reactions: Sun God Nika

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
Reactions: DrEasy

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I just don’t see how anyone can defend Chiarelli based on his past performance.

It’s indefensible
I’m not defending Chiarelli whatsoever. I just don’t think he’s automatically terrible in a different situation based on a 3 year sample size 5 years ago.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Re: Andlauer talking about meeting with Dorion to demand his resignation. Shouldn't that have been Steve Staios' call? What's the point of having a POHO if you're just going to make all his decisions anyway? I've been happy with Andlauer's ownership so far but his insistence on being in the spotlight and front and centre of every hockey issue is starting to give me Melnyk vibes.
Seriously? C'mon

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
well, in the press conference it was stated as "agreed to part ways". That the business way of saying fired.

Start at 1:30 "Pierre Dorion has resigned and been relieved of his duties as General Manager"

Bring receipts

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
Staios literally said "I believe in this team. I believe in this coaching staff..."

2:53 here: Pierre Dorion out as Ottawa Senators' general manager following NHL punishment for Dadonov trade | TSN

They both said similar things about Dorion just a few weeks ago.

It was about as lukewarm an endorsement you can get.

The reality is, I think both Staios and Andlauer have tempered expectations for this season. They're in the midst of a reset, and it's highly unlikely DJ is the long-term coach for this team.

Fans may have to wait a few months, though.

At this point, I think the mindset "let's get through the year semi-competitive, without embarrassing ourselves, and then regroup in the summer."

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Dorion was a great head of amateur scouting, as Andlauer made a point of acknowledging. Andlauer didn't say much about Dorion's GM tenure. But it's got to be recognized that Dorion was running with next to no support. Now, he might be to blame for that a bit himself, but mostly that's the limitation of the org he worked for. Being over-extended and having to do it all yourself will lead to lack of oversight, mistakes, bad judgment.

Pour one out for Dorion. He was in over his head with no swim buddies. And probably sufferend from Dunning-Kruger effect as he was promoted into the void of Sens upper management. If I were a POHO or owner of another team, I'd look at Dorion as a candidate for a scouting or AGM role.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I don't think there is any sign one way or another that DJ is the coach here long term.

For Dorion to get firesigned, it took complete mismanagement of the cap, a losing skid, and an international incident.

They weren't going to take over the team mid-September and randomly clean house. The situation is also complicated by the players liking DJ Smith. Until he gets an extension, you can't really assume he is their guy. It seems like similar to Dorion, they will wait to see if he falls on his own sword, and if not they will see if he has done enough to merit keeping over whoever they want to pat on the shoulder and make King.

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
They both said similar things about Dorion just a few weeks ago.

It was about as lukewarm an endorsement you can get.

The reality is, I think both Staios and Andlauer have tempered expectations for this season. They're in the midst of a reset, and it's highly unlikely DJ is the long-term coach for this team.

Fans may have to wait a few months, though.

At this point, I think the mindset "let's get through the year semi-competitive, without embarrassing ourselves, and then regroup in the summer."
Yeah, I mean what else are you going to say except some sort of supportive statement if you're not replacing coaching staff today. Agree lukewarm at best (hence, huh. Interesting.)

But I'm more calling out a poster who said 'he didn't say that' when it was pretty much a direct, verbatim quote that I posted. He did, in fact, say. That.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Reactions: JackieDaytona
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad