Friedman: Don't be surprised if the Marner situation plays out over the season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Friedman irritates the crap out of me. Like what does this even mean lol, why "report" at all.

Seems like he just says stuff just to say it, it means nothing we already didn't know. Don't be surprised if he stays with the team, don't be surprised if he goes, like no shit.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
So just like Nylander……. Is that what this means?

1) He has career year
2) is top 10 in league scoring throughout
3) then they start negotiating reducing all leverage
4) He gets higher than Nylander but less than Matthews
5) $37-$39 million AAV tied up in 3 forwards when all is said and done.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Leafs will keep Marner around all year if they are a competitive team. He is worth more to them as a player in the playoffs than whatever they will get in return for him at the TDL. Whether he re-signs with them depends on a lot of things.

He is being used as a scapegoat to deflect attention away from the Leaf's organization missteps. Not saying he isn't part of the problem, but he sure as hell isn't the whole problem.

I will be interested to see how Berube deals with the mess.

Sounds awesome for every other Eastern team

Keep Marner so you’ll have less cap to upgrade the roster

Lose Marner for free so you’ll have less assets to upgrade the roster and replace Marner

Elite Gm work

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Friedman irritates the crap out of me. Like what does this even mean lol, why "report" at all.

Seems like he just says stuff just to say it, it means nothing we already didn't know. Don't be surprised if he stays with the team, don't be surprised if he goes, like no shit.

I've felt that way about Friedman for a while.......seems like that's 90% of what he brings to the table, just stuff that MIGHT happen, which he says he hears from his "sources". :dunno:

Last edited:
Reactions: AvroArrow

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
I think there are a few variables to keep in mind: there is Marner as a player by himself; there is Marner as a part of a core; and there is how the team as a whole performs. Marner is a great player in a vacuum. The Leafs have a great core in a vacuum. The Leafs as a team have massively underachieved. Is it mostly Marner, Matthews, Nylander, or the depth players’ fault? Who knows, but something needs to change. Sometimes the right mix of players is better than a group of superior players. It’s not like the Maple Leafs are close and just need to get over the hump like Andy Reid. For a team that that performs very well in the regular season and the individual core players put up great numbers, the team just hasn’t inspired any confidence in the playoffs. The future was bright 6 years ago but the future is close to being past. A shake up is needed even if they don’t get exact equivalent value back

Reactions: Bust

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
From leaf fans perspective, marners downfall starts and ends in the playoffs.

We said it all year, nothing matters until series 1, game 1.

With Matthews, you can visibly see him changing his game during the playoffs. He takes bodies, throws hits, goes to the net, hard on the back check, he visibly cares and at least tries to elevate his game. Same with JT, he’s slowed down significantly but you can’t knock his effort. Nylander threw the biggest hit I’ve ever seen from him (I think game 5?), he’s never going to be confused as a grinder but you can see he’s wired for the big games.

With Marner, it’s just more of the same. The same east-west nonesense that gets shut down easily when the neural zone is tighter in playoff style games. There’a no grind and it’s inexcusable at his salary. He was outperformed by Nylander this season and playoffs, he does not deserve a penny over what the makes now and I feel he’s overpaid at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Don't really get this play from Marner's camp at all. You want to leave, then go. You want to stay? Then negotiate a deal. Lame duck seasons just aren't palatable to anybody, they don't happen for good reason. If the team has asked you to waive your NMC, then why do you want to stay for a lame duck season? Go to UFA somewhere else.

Just don't see the logic.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017
Don't really get this play from Marner's camp at all. You want to leave, then go. You want to stay? Then negotiate a deal. Lame duck seasons just aren't palatable to anybody, they don't happen for good reason. If the team has asked you to waive your NMC, then why do you want to stay for a lame duck season? Go to UFA somewhere else.

Just don't see the logic.
I would love to see a team just blackball ferris. Just make it a policy to avoid players he represents. Drafting 3rd OA and Ferris represents the kid you want? Oh we'll who's next on the list? lol It would be wild to see.

Reactions: Gilmour1996

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
It'll be a huge distraction all year if he doesn't sign an extension or get dealt on July 1st. I don't think Shanahan wants that. I don't think Mitch wants that in a contract year.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He's 100% staying. And this will be one toxic year of Leafs hockey. Hope Mitch is ready for them scrambles in the brain.

Reactions: Miller Time

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
From leaf fans perspective, marners downfall starts and ends in the playoffs.

We said it all year, nothing matters until series 1, game 1.

With Matthews, you can visibly see him changing his game during the playoffs. He takes bodies, throws hits, goes to the net, hard on the back check, he visibly cares and at least tries to elevate his game. Same with JT, he’s slowed down significantly but you can’t knock his effort. Nylander threw the biggest hit I’ve ever seen from him (I think game 5?), he’s never going to be confused as a grinder but you can see he’s wired for the big games.

With Marner, it’s just more of the same. The same east-west nonesense that gets shut down easily when the neural zone is tighter in playoff style games. There’a no grind and it’s inexcusable at his salary. He was outperformed by Nylander this season and playoffs, he does not deserve a penny over what the makes now and I feel he’s overpaid at this point.
The Leafs do all this skills training. What Marner should be doing is hitting the gym and working on his shot.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
The playoff bum gods Marner and Matthews are best buds. Leafs should move Marner at any cost basically to try to get Matthews going.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
No Leaf fan is claiming that Matthews is the better hockey player than McDavid. Leaf fans have claimed Matthews is the better all around player AND that Matthews has been the better player at times.

But I mean that is kinda hockey right depending on the day depends who is the best. Matthews has had some insane stretches, so has McDavid.
Uhmmm... You post enough here, surely you've seen it. I'd be shocked if you weren't one of them.

The comment was about insecurity though.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Comments like this are hilarious , Matthews does nothing in the post season just as much as mitchy
Matthews hasn't been good enough but Mitch is on a whole other level.

FB_IMG_1717724364621.jpg

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004

1) He has career year
this is actually the most likely outcome, and prob the best outcome for Toronto too, unless the Leafs can get a young top pair defender for him, that is the only 'trade' they should consider.

Look Up

Let me tell you about my Celica again
Oct 3, 2013

I've felt that way about Friedman for a while.......seems like that's 90% of what he brings to the table, just stuff that MIGHT happen, which he says he hears from his "sources". :dunno:
Been going on for years. I view him now as just another content creator. Unless he gets a scoop sent his way from a GM or an agent, he is just as much as an insider as the rest of us on hfboards.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
You need players to get you to the playoffs. Marner is that type of player. He's great. Can he battle through tight checking when it matters in the playoffs? Maybe not as good as you like but he's still a great player. When I look at Toronto, I already see players who can get you to the playoffs. This makes losing 1 of them a little easier when you can fill up other holes.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
this is actually the most likely outcome, and prob the best outcome for Toronto too, unless the Leafs can get a young top pair defender for him, that is the only 'trade' they should consider.

You think that "probably the best outcome" for the Leafs is to sign Marner to a long term deal and spend nearly $40 million of their cap on three forwards with a long history of not getting it done when it matters?

How could you possibly think that is probably the best outcome for the Leafs?

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
All this Marner talk is the biggest nothing burger in hockey.

He isn’t going anywhere. All you Leafs fans will be back on the Marner band wagon by mid November.

Next year Mitch is playing for himself and his next contract. Just like Nylander last year. This is when Leaf’s players do their best. He will have the best season of his career next year. Marner will be praised. Leafs fans will be calling for Burube to win the Jack Adams and blame that bum Keefe for all their previous problems.. Marner will have his next mega deal before February. Leafs fans will rejoice and claim they knew this was going to happen all along.

It’s called the Shannaplan.

Unless Marner wins the Conn Smythe this is not happening. If the Leafs win the cup or go to the finals and Mitch is insane then I would change my opinion. No one cares that he will wow us all season anymore, I promise you.

Leaf fans want the team built differently and honestly has nothing to do with Mitch he is just hte obvious guy to go

1) He has career year

Nylander is different to Leaf fans. He has been one of our best playoff guys for many years now. Mitch we are not fooled by what he does in regular season

Sounds awesome for every other Eastern team

Keep Marner so you’ll have less cap to upgrade the roster

Lose Marner for free so you’ll have less assets to upgrade the roster and replace Marner

Elite Gm work

I am mid on Treliving but has nothing to do with the GM. It is on Shanny. He fires Dubas 6 weeks before trade protection starts and then hires a GM with 5 weeks to get ready for the draft, try and sign Matthews to an extension, and fill out the roster.

If Marner walks, Shanny will take that fall and people are expecting it. I don't even care if Marner walks though tbh

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
You think that "probably the best outcome" for the Leafs is to sign Marner to a long term deal and spend nearly $40 million of their cap on three forwards with a long history of not getting it done when it matters?

How could you possibly think that is probably the best outcome for the Leafs?

I would not be a fan of this but to be honest, it is different. Tavares would be off the books and the cap would actually rise. It would be 40% and falling each season spent on those 3 instead of 50% spent on 4 guys every year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad