Friedman: Don't be surprised if the Marner situation plays out over the season

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
All this Marner talk is the biggest nothing burger in hockey.

He isn’t going anywhere. All you Leafs fans will be back on the Marner band wagon by mid November.

Next year Mitch is playing for himself and his next contract. Just like Nylander last year. This is when Leaf’s players do their best. He will have the best season of his career next year. Marner will be praised. Leafs fans will be calling for Burube to win the Jack Adams and blame that bum Keefe for all their previous problems.. Marner will have his next mega deal before February. Leafs fans will rejoice and claim they knew this was going to happen all along.

It’s called the Shannaplan.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

He isn’t going anywhere. All you Leafs fans will be back on the Marner band wagon by mid November.

Next year Mitch is playing for himself and his next contract. Just like Nylander last year. This is when Leaf’s players do their best. He will have the best season of his career next year. Marner will be praised. Leafs fans will be calling for Burube to win the Jack Adams and blame that bum Keefe for all their previous problems.. Marner will have his next mega deal before February. Leafs fans will rejoice and claim they knew this was going to happen all along.

In this scenario of the Shamaplan is Marner 12.5 x 8?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Leafs will keep Marner around all year if they are a competitive team. He is worth more to them as a player in the playoffs than whatever they will get in return for him at the TDL. Whether he re-signs with them depends on a lot of things.

He is being used as a scapegoat to deflect attention away from the Leaf's organization missteps. Not saying he isn't part of the problem, but he sure as hell isn't the whole problem.

I will be interested to see how Berube deals with the mess.

Reactions: 666 and TS Quint

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Leafs will keep Marner around all year if they are a competitive team. He is worth more to them as a player in the playoffs than whatever they will get in return for him at the TDL. Whether he re-signs with them depends on a lot of things.

He is being used as a scapegoat to deflect attention away from the Leaf's organization missteps. Not saying he isn't part of the problem, but he sure as hell isn't the whole problem.

I will be interested to see how Berube deals with the mess.
Leafs need to get off to a good start next season. If they struggle out of the gate the pressure will build and then what?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Nylander got $11.5 during his best season of his career. Marner still out paced him. Marner has been the far superior player every other year. I don’t know how much Marner’s contract will be but it has to be more than Nylander. The question is by how much.
Marner can extend with the Leafs July 1. It’s going to be an interesting year with him playing heading to UFA status. He’s fully capable of putting up huge numbers while being excellent defensively. 110 points and a Selke nomination isn’t far fetched. A player of that level could get a massive contract as a UFA.

Reactions: 666 and voxel

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Marner specifically hasn't. But the people around him have. And he doesn't seem to tell them to stop.

-#1) Numerous media members have claimed to have been threatened in DMs by family members and security people.
-#2) His agent is one of the more ruthless ones around there. Uses an insane amount of media to direct the narratives.
-#3) The day Matthews signed his first extension with the Leafs, Marner's agent spoke to a Leafs reporter to do an article about how Matthews deal was a crazy overpayment and as a result we will be expecting to get a similar deal from Toronto. THE SAME DAY. His camp didn't even wait a few days. It could have entirely been Marner's agent. But the fact is he is employed by Marner and there was no walk back of that. To take the shine away from your teammate like that by causing a shit storm in the media when it's his day to be the guy celebrated for signing with the team is pretty much what soured him to Leaf fans. Such an asshole thing to do.
-#4) Back to #1.. his family is insane and cause tons of issues. Reportedly Lou had to tell his dad to knock it off or he'll be banned from the arena.
Wow, this is crazy. I didn’t know about these things. Do you have any links for #1 and #3.

#3 doesn’t make much sense. Seems like Marner should be nodding in agreement that Matthews got paid fairly or that Matthews was a bargain to help negotiate his contract. Not that Matthews was overpaid.

The Leafs did all that work for him when they trotted Mackenzie out on a TSN special to show how not insane that Matthews contract was going to be.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
On the June 2nd 32 thoughts podcast Friedman said don't be surprised if the Marner situation plays out over the season, he said that the Leafs don't want to make another deal based on emotion like they did with Kadri.

He said that as of June 2nd he wasn't sure Marner was getting traded.

I'm good with him coming back if that's how it works out.

I'm not against a core change like I have been in the past, but at the same time, I'm not looking to push him out the lineup either, you only move him if it makes sense, and it only makes sense if you can get REAL assets back and no I'm not talking about picks, and prospects and futures, those aren't real assets, those are magic beans, I'm not interested in magic beans.

If Marner is traded you need players, and they need to be good players, Marner is a 90+ point player, you can't trade him for magic beans that you HOPE grow into somebody as good or better than Marner
The problem is he’s not a 90pt player in the playoffs

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I mean with a NMC, which teams would he even waive for to begin with?

NY Rangers, sure, maybe Edmonton to play with McDavid and reunite with Hyman, possibly New Jersey (New York Area, up and coming squad)?, Vegas, LA ... I guess? I think the Leafs if dealing would want him out of the Eastern Conference and certainly not to Tampa/Boston/Florida.

He doesn't strike me as a guy who will just waive for anyone, he wants a big spotlight and probably will want to go a situation where he has a good chance of thumbing his nose at the Leafs (ie: immediate high probability of a Cup Final) if things go down that route.

I think the Leafs will just cave and resign him. The fact is the team is good enough as is to keep selling tickets and a boat load of merch so it's not like there's some emergency, I think they probably will hope that getting a new coach can change things enough.

If not, I could see the Rangers making a pretty significant push for him.
I could see him being interested in markets like LA, ANA, NSH, NYR, maybe even Florida / TB

Don't see him going to a place like Columbus or Winnipeg etc

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Stubbornness. Doesn't want the dream to end?

He couldn't ask for a better situation:
- stat padding forward linemates to cement his career status as one of the best producers:
- Plays on PP with three 30-70 goal scorers
- plays primarily with a top 3 NHL center, 3 time Rocket Richard winner, Ted Lindsay winner and Selke finalist.

- Plays in his hometown
- Leads the league in # of endorsement deals.
- Treated like a "god" by arguably the NHLs largest fan base
- Leafs are known to provide the best treatment to their players, from amenities to doctors etc.
- Mitch Marner Assist Foundation is well established and a tax write off.
- Marner Assist Foundation employs most of his family, including his wife, mother and father (think his brother too).
- Started a restaurant with Shark Tanks "Mr. Wonderful"
- His dad's a die hard Leaf fan. I'm sure they both want him to end up with his 16 Marner Jersey in the rafters and a statue on Legends Row.
- Wears and A

This is quite a bit to lose, not to mention having to pick up and move.
Great post. This is what was going through my head as well.

If the Leafs want Marner to waive, they have to send a message to Marner that he will not be re-signed after his contract is up. But it needs to be spun in a way that says, "It's me, not you."

This still has the risk of Marner just giving the Leafs a big FU and not waiving anyway, potentially making the locker room and environment toxic. I am far from a Leafs fan or follow them, but I feel that Marner has surrounded himself with people who enable him to think that way and get away with things. He is in a great spot in Toronto and does not want things to change, but if the Leafs actually do not re-sign him, it will be very interesting to see how he bounces back wherever he goes.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I’m simply stating you take the best deal. If the best deal is picks and futures you do it. As mentioned, these assets can still be used to trade for targeted pieces that scouts/management want to target.

It’s not always an A to B relationship.
This is where I am at. There have always been "hockey trades" vs "non hockey trades". The difference being if there are outside motivating factors beyond the pure player evaluation (typical salary cap but occasionally other factors like off ice issues etc. can impact trade value).

The longer the MM situation in TOR goes, the worse it gets for everyone. Worse case for the Leafs is that the circus goes all year, they fail in the PO wasting another year of AM/WN prime, and then MM leave for nothing. You might not like the return, but it's better to cut the cord IMO and move forward.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
If Marner plays out the year, I think it’s best to make him your RD option

That’s where they really need that cap space to go anyways

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Marner can extend with the Leafs July 1. It’s going to be an interesting year with him playing heading to UFA status. He’s fully capable of putting up huge numbers while being excellent defensively. 110 points and a Selke nomination isn’t far fetched. A player of that level could get a massive contract as a UFA.

If they play him at RD, as I think they probably should, he won’t hit those numbers or be nominated for that award

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I see that with Leafs and McDavid, not Oilers and Matthews.

No Leaf fan is claiming that Matthews is the better hockey player than McDavid. Leaf fans have claimed Matthews is the better all around player AND that Matthews has been the better player at times.

But I mean that is kinda hockey right depending on the day depends who is the best. Matthews has had some insane stretches, so has McDavid.

• Haha
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
This is where I am at. There have always been "hockey trades" vs "non hockey trades". The difference being if there are outside motivating factors beyond the pure player evaluation (typical salary cap but occasionally other factors like off ice issues etc. can impact trade value).

The longer the MM situation in TOR goes, the worse it gets for everyone. Worse case for the Leafs is that the circus goes all year, they fail in the PO wasting another year of AM/WN prime, and then MM leave for nothing. You might not like the return, but it's better to cut the cord IMO and move forward.
History will evaluate the trade on the whole picture, which is inclusive of how the cap savings was spent - in addition to pieces returned.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
If they play him at RD, as I think they probably should, he won’t hit those numbers or be nominated for that award
I get that’s it’s fun to shit on the leafs - but you can’t actually believe that he should be played on D.

That’s got to be one of the dumbest things I’ve read on this board, and there’s been some doozies.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada

You seem to know a lot about the leafs !

Love it

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
You seem to know a lot about the leafs !

Love it
A lot of this thread reads as some weirdly erotic fan fiction by non leaf fans.

He re-signs : he sucks, leaf’s suck, first round, run it back, lol

He leaves : leafs suck, let an elite player go for nothing, he’s going to be unreal elsewhere, lol

He’s traded : leafs are dumb lol, traded an elite player for peanuts, Hall for Larson

Some of us leaf fans have been over Marner for sometime and not worried to “lose” in this situation. It has to tell you something that fans are completely ok with this guy walking away for nothing. If it was an option to wave this final year so he could hit FA early, it would be heavily favoured by leaf fans IMO.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Stubbornness. Doesn't want the dream to end?

He couldn't ask for a better situation:
- stat padding forward linemates to cement his career status as one of the best producers:
- Plays on PP with three 30-70 goal scorers
- plays primarily with a top 3 NHL center, 3 time Rocket Richard winner, Ted Lindsay winner and Selke finalist.

- Plays in his hometown
- Leads the league in # of endorsement deals.
- Treated like a "god" by arguably the NHLs largest fan base
- Leafs are known to provide the best treatment to their players, from amenities to doctors etc.
- Mitch Marner Assist Foundation is well established and a tax write off.
- Marner Assist Foundation employs most of his family, including his wife, mother and father (think his brother too).
- Started a restaurant with Shark Tanks "Mr. Wonderful"
- His dad's a die hard Leaf fan. I'm sure they both want him to end up with his 16 Marner Jersey in the rafters and a statue on Legends Row.
- Wears and A

This is quite a bit to lose, not to mention having to pick up and move.

True on a lot of points but times change. If Marner won't move his NMC he's going to get booed every time by home fans. It's going to be a big distraction in the locker room. It's going to be a stressful year for him.

The guy has already hired his own personal security in Toronto. I can't see it being enjoyable for him. And things will only get worse If he stays. The writing is on the wall and both teams need to move on ASAP.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Did the team get better though?

The isles got better because the team was sold to owners that had a clue and they hired Lamorillo and he hired Trotz. If you add Tavares to the teams that went to the ECF there is a damn good chance they walk away with a cup.

IMO Losing Marner for nothing would be worst case scenario.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad