Friedman: Don't be surprised if the Marner situation plays out over the season

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
As an outside perspective.

We are literally at the very beginning of the Marner offseason trade conversation, the agent saying he wants to play out the year is just literally the start of an extremely complex back-and-forth between Toronto and the player.

While Marner has majority of the cards, let’s not kid ourselves here, the temperature by the fan base is going to increase at such an astronomical level, that everywhere he goes, regardless, if it’s right or wrong, he is going to get so much backlash for trying to stay, it’s Going to be a spectacle.

This situation has barely started, right now I think we’re still in posturing mode, but the moment July 2nd comes, and he is a maple leaf, the backlash is going to skyrocket.

And if he’s here during training camp, no matter what he says, the moment and I mean the moment he has a bad game or a bad week, these fans in the building will turn on him, regardless, if it’s fair or not.

Marner has to be traded, the pressure needs to be put on, this is your only shot, it’s going to get way way worse from here.

My two cents

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
I'm not surprised. The initial set of offers were likely big steaming piles, with teams circling hoping that the Leafs management would cave under the media and fan pressure.

I honestly think they're just going to re-up Marner as with his NMC he just isn't going to get the offers they're hoping for. I can't blame them, this is a very talented player that isn't worth just ditching for cap space.

Reactions: TS Quint and byrath

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
As an outside perspective.

We are literally at the very beginning of the Marner offseason trade conversation, the agent saying he wants to play out the year is just literally the start of an extremely complex back-and-forth between Toronto and the player.

While Marner has majority of the cards, let’s not kid ourselves here, the temperature by the fan base is going to increase at such an astronomical level, that everywhere he goes, regardless, if it’s right or wrong, he is going to get so much backlash for trying to stay, it’s Going to be a spectacle.

This situation has barely started, right now I think we’re still in posturing mode, but the moment July 2nd comes, and he is a maple leaf, the backlash is going to skyrocket.

And if he’s here during training camp, no matter what he says, the moment and I mean the moment he has a bad game or a bad week, these fans in the building will turn on him, regardless, if it’s fair or not.

Marner has to be traded, the pressure needs to be put on, this is your only shot, it’s going to get way way worse from here.

My two cents
Agree with everything you said - but I have a different perspective.

I think that the pressure you mention is going to be worse on the organization than it is on MM. Assuming MM isn't dealt before camp starts, the media circus is going to go into overdrive mode and it's going to be an absolute shyte-show. MM has the ability to say some variant of "I've given our list to the front office - if they want to make a deal that is on them. All I can do is play my heart out and do everything I can to help the organization win on the ice."

When it does become a distraction - that's not on MM. I'm sure his reputation will take heat within the GTA - but that's inevitable and not his #1 priority.

Reactions: eojsmada

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If the Leafs don't trade him, they will re-sign him and they are doomed to failure.

I can't fathom how fans like you can be okay with this. You deserve the team you have.

As I've said I'm fine with trading him if It's the right deal, but you don't trade him just to trade him.

It has to make sense, and it only makes sense if you get real assets back.

You need good players back, this can't be a futures based trade because futures are essentially magic beans that you hope grow into somebody as good or better than Marner.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Mitch needs to swallow his pride and just waive his NMC so both him and the Leafs franchise can both move on. Why would any player want to stay with a team where he knows the fanbase wants him gone?

Pondslider

Sep 17, 2006
Buffalo
Eichel wanted to be traded and his Dad wasn't a toxic dickhead.

If the leafs want to move him it's already a complicated endeavor trying to move 10 million but basically impossible if Marner refuses to move.

Realistically I'm sure there are a few teams he might waive for but if you're Brad the return would need to at worst create cap space but there isn't a contending team that can just absorb that cap hit. As for the return why would any team pay to the tits for a rental who has been a part of a core that has failed for 8 years?
Eichel also didn’t have a NMC when he was traded. He was traded in 2021 and the NMC started in 2022.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Of course it would drag into the season. Big time drama and click bait all season long for leaf fans or anyone who likes to think about them.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
As I've said I'm fine with trading him if It's the right deal, but you don't trade him just to trade him.

It has to make sense, and it only makes sense if you get real assets back.

You need good players back, this can't be a futures based trade because futures are essentially magic beans that you hope grow into somebody as good or better than Marner.
Futures can also be dealt.

I prefer that to some cap dump.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
There is a difference between a cap dump and good players.

Marner is a legitimate star.

i don't want cap dumps either I want good players

He's a year from FA and has a NMC. MM decides where he will play next year and following years after.

Rarely does a soon-to-be-FA garner a young stud. And besides with the NMC he decides where and playoff teams don't want to trade away cost-controlled young players.

Reactions: Fatass

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Of course it would drag into the season. Big time drama and click bait all season long for leaf fans or anyone who likes to think about them.
The Leafs are a never ending soap opera. It's hard to think of another professional sports team that has so much drama surrounding them. The Dallas Cowboys maybe?

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Mitch needs to swallow his pride and just waive his NMC so both him and the Leafs franchise can both move on. Why would any player want to stay with a team where he knows the fanbase wants him gone?
Stubbornness. Doesn't want the dream to end?

He couldn't ask for a better situation:
- stat padding forward linemates to cement his career status as one of the best producers:
- Plays on PP with three 30-70 goal scorers
- plays primarily with a top 3 NHL center, 3 time Rocket Richard winner, Ted Lindsay winner and Selke finalist.

- Plays in his hometown
- Leads the league in # of endorsement deals.
- Treated like a "god" by arguably the NHLs largest fan base
- Leafs are known to provide the best treatment to their players, from amenities to doctors etc.
- Mitch Marner Assist Foundation is well established and a tax write off.
- Marner Assist Foundation employs most of his family, including his wife, mother and father (think his brother too).
- Started a restaurant with Shark Tanks "Mr. Wonderful"
- His dad's a die hard Leaf fan. I'm sure they both want him to end up with his 16 Marner Jersey in the rafters and a statue on Legends Row.
- Wears and A

This is quite a bit to lose, not to mention having to pick up and move.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He's a year from FA and has a NMC. MM decides where he will play next year and following years after.

Rarely does a soon-to-be-FA garner a young stud. And besides with the NMC he decides where and playoff teams don't want to trade away cost-controlled young players.

Then you don't trade him.

If you can't get good value for the player then you keep the player.

You don't trade a player like Mitch Marner just to trade him, you have to get real assets for him.

If you can't then you put him back with Matthews and you focus on filling other holes like a Partner for Rielly and a goaltender because you need a goaltender you only have 1 under contract, and as talented as he is, and he is.

He's also extremely injury prone at this point.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
So word is Marner will not waive his NTC and will play out the season and test UFA?

Hope he’s ready for the most toxic year of his life. And that’s saying something, he (and his Dad) has seen some shit. This is going to be one hell of a shitstorm this year in Toronto.

Reactions: Devonator

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Very poorly handled by the Leafs. It was pretty damn clear he should have been traded a while ago, yet they waited and waited and now Marner can just walk to UFA if he so wants.

Reactions: Kimota

HighLifeManIsHigh

McDave is a loser lol
Feb 27, 2006
Marner holds all the cards. Agajn Dubas/Shanahan not getting 8 years for Marner on close to 11M cap hit for a RFA is the mistake here. One year left on Marner before he can hit UFA. Good luck getting value back. He’s a good player that is this summer’s leafs scapegoat. Sound like a broken record, Dubas has left Trevling a mess to clean up. Not sure he can.
Sounds super familiar

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
This is getting way out of hand. Marner has done nothing at all to be labelled as cancer, which is a pretty strong word. He hasn't been able to perform in the playoffs for us, and so hasn't Matthews if you ask me.

The NMC is well within his right. Maybe he doesn't see himself playing for another team. Let's wait and see how this plays out.

Marner specifically hasn't. But the people around him have. And he doesn't seem to tell them to stop.

-#1) Numerous media members have claimed to have been threatened in DMs by family members and security people.
-#2) His agent is one of the more ruthless ones around there. Uses an insane amount of media to direct the narratives.
-#3) The day Matthews signed his first extension with the Leafs, Marner's agent spoke to a Leafs reporter to do an article about how Matthews deal was a crazy overpayment and as a result we will be expecting to get a similar deal from Toronto. THE SAME DAY. His camp didn't even wait a few days. It could have entirely been Marner's agent. But the fact is he is employed by Marner and there was no walk back of that. To take the shine away from your teammate like that by causing a shit storm in the media when it's his day to be the guy celebrated for signing with the team is pretty much what soured him to Leaf fans. Such an asshole thing to do.
-#4) Back to #1.. his family is insane and cause tons of issues. Reportedly Lou had to tell his dad to knock it off or he'll be banned from the arena.

yeaher

May 3, 2019
I'm not surprised. The initial set of offers were likely big steaming piles, with teams circling hoping that the Leafs management would cave under the media and fan pressure.

I honestly think they're just going to re-up Marner as with his NMC he just isn't going to get the offers they're hoping for. I can't blame them, this is a very talented player that isn't worth just ditching for cap space.
yeah the isles haven't won a series since they lost Tavares. Marner is a passenger better lose him for free than pay 12 mil

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
There is a difference between a cap dump and good players.

Marner is a legitimate star.

i don't want cap dumps either I want good players
I’m simply stating you take the best deal. If the best deal is picks and futures you do it. As mentioned, these assets can still be used to trade for targeted pieces that scouts/management want to target.

It’s not always an A to B relationship.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Then you don't trade him.

If you can't get good value for the player then you keep the player.

You don't trade a player like Mitch Marner just to trade him, you have to get real assets for him.

If you can't then you put him back with Matthews and you focus on filling other holes like a Partner for Rielly and a goaltender because you need a goaltender you only have 1 under contract, and as talented as he is, and he is.

He's also extremely injury prone at this point.
Maybe it’s best to play MM this coming season and then clear his cap as he leaves as a UFA July 1, 2025. Tavares is off the books then too. 22 mil in cap to be used to sign other UFS.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad