Friedman: Don't be surprised if the Marner situation plays out over the season

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
So be it. I haven't hated a player as much as Marner in a long time, if ever. If the guy played the way he negotiated his contracts we'd all love him. Instead he again uses the media, tries to put pressure on the team, etc.

If he thinks he is going to just play it out like Willy did he is mistaken. It is going to be a major distraction the entire season. The failure is on Shanahan not moving him last year and the fans are not going to take it.

He will be booed every time he touches the puck if it comes to it. Marner jersey on the ice every game. f*** him.

Let's be real he's not going to be booed every time he touches the puck, that might be what you want but realistically It's not going to happen

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
True. Really it was the extreme overrating of Matthews that ultimately lead to the overpay for Marner.
I'm not a Leafs fan, but to me it's hard to "extremely overate" someone who has won 2x Rockets and 1x Hart trophy during the contract period we're talking about.

Just IMO - but the 2 major fails for Dubas were:
1) Not getting max term if paying the premium to both AM/MM.
2) Paying a winger like a center when the main comparables (Rantanen/Pasta) both made $1.5-2M less.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Let's be real he's not going to be booed every time he touches the puck, that might be what you want but realistically It's not going to happen

You're right he'll have 35 points by mid November and the media will be saying Marner's number starts with 14 and Leaf fans will eat it up

I'm not a Leafs fan, but to me it's hard to "extremely overate" someone who has won 2x Rockets and 1x Hart trophy during the contract period we're talking about.

2) Paying a winger like a center when the main comparables (Rantanen/Pasta) both made $1.5-2M less.

Oilers fans have insecurity with Matthews so they hate on him extra.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

I know it’s nearly impossible to be that incompetent. But they did. Cause he still got paid more than McDavid while being much worse than McDavid.

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
If Marner is a Leaf next season not a problem. He will get his usual 90 points. The worse case scenario is paying Marner for another 8 seasons. The best case scenario for Toronto is he is traded. But if he walks for nothing, Toronto will have Tavares and Marner expiring. That is a lot of cap space to retool the team. It is not the end of the world.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
If Marner walks, so be it. Whichever team inks his next contract will learn a hard lesson.

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
The people that surround Mitch Marner from his agent to his family members are cancers to any organization. The drama that has followed him from the time he was with the Knights proves it.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
I am so sick of this mentality. 8 years we’ve been saying the same thing. At some point, patience has ran thin. Sorry, I don’t trust him whatsoever. If the core stays, no matter what happens, it’s another wasted year. Berube doesn't do shit to move the needle.

Sometimes addition by subtraction works better. How did the Isles all of a sudden go on playoff runs after losing JT for nothing? Here, at least we can get something if brain dead management can convince him to waive.
The Isles are the team you want to use as an example here? The biggest treadmill team in the league? The second lowest scoring team to make the playoffs, the team that can't score to save their lives and would love a Marner type? They have been more inept than the Leafs.

If we could get a legit #1 D for Marner or a gritty Brady Tkachuk type I'm all for trading him but we can't. The return would be so beyond disappointing for Marner we'd regret it once the emotion wore off.

Speaking of Tavares, there's our issue. That signing was dumb from day 1 (we could've kept Kadri and Hyman for the cost of JT).

I know it might be wishful thinking but priority #1 this off season should be trying to offload him to a team like Chicago since he's not owed much in real dollars and they don't need the cap space next season. Say to JT, "hey, you're welcome for the generational wealth retirement contract, now we need you to do us a solid and accept this trade. Alternative is you ride the bus in the AHL next year or sit in the press box."

• Haha
Reactions: SoupNazi

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
The Leafs situation is still one year away from a significant change when the Tavares contract is over and that 11 million is gone. After that JT can play on the third line for 3.5 per season or pack up the family and play elsewhere.

With Marner staying this season, watch him finally light it up in the playoffs on his contract year and give everyone a mind f*** :laugh:

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Jack Eichel was traded with a nmc,coming off serious neck surgery and a caphit of 10+
Marner we can retain on Mitch or have a third team.
Its not impossible and could end just as bad for Mitch as the Leafs
Eichel wanted to be traded and his Dad wasn't a toxic dickhead.

If the leafs want to move him it's already a complicated endeavor trying to move 10 million but basically impossible if Marner refuses to move.

Realistically I'm sure there are a few teams he might waive for but if you're Brad the return would need to at worst create cap space but there isn't a contending team that can just absorb that cap hit. As for the return why would any team pay to the tits for a rental who has been a part of a core that has failed for 8 years?

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Gonna be so funny when he leaves for nothing
Why? What’s the difference between a team like Winnipeg trading for Monahan and letting him walk in the offseason. I’m a die hard leafs fan and I want Marner to stay then let him walk in offseason. He doesn’t make sense long term but I’d like him as a rental

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
How? He basically holds all the cards - he stays if he wants to, he goes if he wants to, and he signs wherever he wants for whatever their best offer is next summer.
Come on. If Toronto really wants to get rid of him they will. Just because players have NMC doesn’t mean they can’t be moved. They just get to decide where they want to go.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
In other words Leafs management went to Marner and asked if he’d waive and Marner said no.

Come on. If Toronto really wants to get rid of him they will. Just because players have NMC doesn’t mean they can’t be moved. They just get to decide where they want to go.
How exactly would the Leafs be able to move Marner if he says no?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The fundamental problem is that the perfect trade is rarely out there. Fans will criticize the GM and everyone if a Marner trade doesn't get full value back, and even criticize it if it is a quality for quantity trade.

The odds of finding that perfect or even passable trade shrinks a lot because of the NMC. Marner likely plays ball but he will give a list of teams he would be willing to go to, and it won't be to the teams loaded with great youth and tons of cap space.

Reactions: shortfuze

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad