Friedman: Don't be surprised if the Marner situation plays out over the season

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Just IMO - but your post kind of comes across as bi-polar.

Paragraph 1 - MM is an evil SOB. And it's only MM that uses the media, not the Leafs. (BTW, from my perspective it's the Leafs who are the ones threatening him to waive contractual rights they freely gave him, or they'll make his life hell thru the media.)
Paragraph 2 - it's all Shanny's fault. And the distraction is only going to hurt MM, not the Leafs.
Paragraph 3 - Leafs fans are solely going to blame Marner.

It's all of those. Shanahan has no balls and bent over for them and refused to admit they needed change. Marner is a so called hometown kid who had no mercy and negotiated like an asshole every time he has had the chance and been a ghost when he had to show he was worth the money.

We're sick of Shanny and Marner

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
At this point, it is bigger than winning the MM negotiation. The Leafs at some point needs to put their foot down and say they are not just being taken to the cleaners every time a good player needs money.

The need to change the mercenary culture is so immense. Most Leaf fans would be fine if they came out and publicly said they don't want Marner and sat him. The season is a write off anyways, f*** him.
HV - agree 100% with your statement above. If the Leafs are going to change the culture (which 100% is needed), they need to re-establish control, ensure the good of the organization is paramount, and make everyone understand the inmates aren't running the asylum.

The problem is that on this board some posters assume the Leafs are dealing from a position of strength in a MM deal, and they're going to be dictating where they send MM. I'd love to have MM on "my" team, but not at the contract he's likely going to want, so that limits the value that I'd be happy with "my" team to include in the deal.

I'm going to be really interested to see how all this shakes out!

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He was never gonna actually be traded anyways. NMC and 11M, the Leaf’s have made their bed with this pajama boy. This PR surrounding the Marner trade is just to satiate the bloodlust of Leaf’s Nation. Make them feel like their huge problems are being dealt with but when the season starts and Marner starts producing again the hate dies down and everything stays the same.

It's all of those. Shanahan has no balls and bent over for them and refused to admit they needed change. Marner is a so called hometown kid who had no mercy and negotiated like an asshole every time he has had the chance and been a ghost when he had to show he was worth the money.

Really though it was the overrating of Matthews that lead to that contract in the first place. Marners Dad saw those early years and was like Marner is right there with Auston. So they dug in their heels.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Going to be an awkward season for him if he decides not to waive his NMC. His contract is not getting extended. It will be his last season in Toronto for sure.
I mean this is the reason why he's not waiving, isn't it obvious? He wants to prove that they want to re-sign him. There will be plenty of noise and not sure if he can handle that, but business wise he's not losing any money over it. Probably just upping his number. And this is high-risk/high-reward for his Toronto legacy. Either he will be one of the most hated Leafs of recent times, or he will be re-signed and people will cheer it. Waiving the NMC would be an easy way out.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Leaf Nation's attempt to drive him out of Toronto through intimidation tactics has been beyond disgusting.

Marner knows he holds the cards and is going to get his retribution by forcing the Leafs to run it back, fold in the playoffs as usual, and then walk for nothing next season.
Agreed. Kids a hometown kid who’s given his all to the leaf’s Organization. And what does he get in return? Nothing but pure hate.

• Haha
Reactions: Craft Beer Lover

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013

I wonder if Marner would have signed for less if Babcock had been fired during that offseason, before Marner re-signed.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I'd be hating on Tavares if I was a Leafs fan lol
Well yeh that’s been happening for years. Further proving that being a Toronto Pajama boy is the worst possible career move any player could make.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I wonder if Marner would have signed for less if Babcock had been fired during that offseason, before Marner re-signed.
No, because they gave Matthews what he wanted and Marner actually had a case to argue he could make more than Matthews (at the time).

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
No, because they gave Matthews what he wanted and Marner actually had a case to argue he could make more than Matthews (at the time).
True. Really it was the extreme overrating of Matthews that ultimately lead to the overpay for Marner.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Maybe if the media asks him about his thoughts on the future after every loss it'll convince him to waive the NMC

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I'd be hating on Tavares if I was a Leafs fan lol

Why? Everyone knew he would not be worth it in the end. He took less to come here and he will take a cheap deal after this one ends. You can question Tavares abilities but you can't question his effort. Marner on the other hand has the abilities but no drive when it matters

Who knows, but that was another Shanahan masterclass on how to handle things terribly

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
True. Really it was the extreme overrating of Matthews that ultimately lead to the overpay for Marner.
It wasn't overrating. Matthews has been paid just fine for his value. The issue was that they signed John Tavares to an 11 million dollar deal, and after that Matthews and Marner could come to negotiations demanding for something similar because they were already better players than JT. And with Matthews, they made the mistake of giving him both short term and high AAV, because they didn't want another tough negotiation like they just had with Nylander.

It was a multitude of different factors and missteps that lead to the issues.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Why? Everyone knew he would not be worth it in the end. He took less to come here and he will take a cheap deal after this one ends. You can question Tavares abilities but you can't question his effort. Marner on the other hand has the abilities but no drive when it matters

Who knows, but that was another Shanahan masterclass on how to handle things terribly
And yet the hate persists.

It wasn't overrating. Matthews has been paid just fine for his value. The issue was that they signed John Tavares to an 11 million dollar deal, and after that Matthews and Marner could come to negotiations demanding for something similar because they were already better players than JT. And with Matthews, they made the mistake of giving him both short term and high AAV, because they didn't want another tough negotiation like they just had with Nylander.

It was a multitude of different factors and missteps that lead to the issues.
Sure it was, they overpaid Matthews. He took a contract that would have him paid more than McDavid (considering term). He is not even close to McDavid let alone better than him.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
0% chance Marner moves during the year. If Marner starts the season with the leafs, hes 100% leaving the following July 1st to the highest bidder.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Everyone gets hate after losses. 7 days ago Oilers fans were running Nurse out of town, don't play this game you know how it is
Actually Nurse was being questioned by media why his plus/minus was how it was. Most of Edmonton media dug into it and defended his play. The “hate” for Nurse from media was coming straight out of where it always comes from Toronto. It was the talking heads there that blew up the story instead of just your normal player analysis and critique that we have in Edmonton. In Toronto, it’s way more toxic, not in any way shape or form close.

• Haha
Reactions: HockeyVirus

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
0% chance Marner moves during the year. If Marner starts the season with the leafs, hes 100% leaving the following July 1st to the highest bidder.
Leafs may still be the highest bidder once Tavares money freed up. Teams will be willing to pay him more if they are getting him as a free agent - no assets out the door but Its hard to envision a world where Marner is making more than he makes today. Maybe he can get a couple teams in a bidding war but in a Cap world anyone who pays him 11+M is making a mistake

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Jack Eichel was traded with a nmc,coming off serious neck surgery and a caphit of 10+
Marner we can retain on Mitch or have a third team.
Its not impossible and could end just as bad for Mitch as the Leafs

Eichel didn't have any trade/movement protection at the time of the trade. And also didn't have surgery until after the trade.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa

Because that contract hampered the leafs ability to fill real holes, and he was completely uneeded. The leafs already had Centre depth. I said it at the time and I'm still saying it now. That contract shut the leafs window, actually slammed it shut. 1 series win with Tavares in the lineup is a colossal failure.

Signing JT for 11 mil doomed the leafs management to scrub the bottom of the barrel for depth and it showed every year.

Thats why no one liked the signing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad