Friedman: Don't be surprised if the Marner situation plays out over the season

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
No, I am 100% against it. I don’t want him in Toronto anymore. Like I said, you don’t need 3 soft players making that much of your cap. 8 year of sample size of these guys not getting it done, and people want to re-sign him to a ludicrous extension over 12M a year? 3 guys making 37M combined of your cap that won 1 series total in the playoffs? Sorry, but they will lose me as a fan. I can’t take it anymore. There are other things to enjoy in this world. Can not stomach Marner re-signing for an absurd contract. Willy’s was bad enough.
No one in that "core" should be making what they are or what the new extensions give them including Matthews. yes yes he scored 69 goals. Whoopdeedoo. Cant have $50+ tied up in 5 guys and then wonder why we have no cap space to make upgrades in FA or TDL. Wish these guys would have said "welp, this isnt working maybe if we took a little less each, it would help the team" but of course not.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
With the cap going up and bad contracts off the books Marner at 11-11.5 isnt so bad. 100 point guys do not grow on trees and you wont get anywhere near fair value for him in a trade and Zero if he walks next summer..

seems to me they have little choice.....
Ofcourse they have a choice. Marner has a NMC and holds all the cards right now. But the Leafs are not obligated to re-sign him, just like he didn't feel obligated to take a team-friendly deal.

If the organization's concern is more about losing Marner for free, then it is a choice of their own making. I see a lot of Leafs fans complain about Marner's off-season production, his "softness," and his contract. Do they think any of this changes if they re-sign him? If not, this is just going to be a repeat of his last contract.
With the rise in the salary cap and the fact Tavares comes off the books in a year for the right price yes.
I asked 8 x 11.5M with a NMC. Is that acceptable?

Also, is that acceptable for the type of player he is, going with the assumption that he is not going to all of a sudden become tougher to play against and become a better performer in the playoffs? Sure, the team can afford him because of the rising cap and the expiring Tavares contract but the question is should they? Is he a good fit for the team going forward?

To me it just seems like a lot of Leafs fan want him re-signed simply because they don't want to lost him for nothing. It's just me, but seems like thats the wrong way to go about building a team the right way.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Ofcourse they have a choice. Marner has a NMC and holds all the cards right now. But the Leafs are not obligated to re-sign him, just like he didn't feel obligated to take a team-friendly deal.

If the organization's concern is more about losing Marner for free, then it is a choice of their own making. I see a lot of Leafs fans complain about Marner's off-season production, his "softness," and his contract. Do they think any of this changes if they re-sign him? If not, this is just going to be a repeat of his last contract.

I asked 8 x 11.5M with a NMC. Is that acceptable?

Also, is that acceptable for the type of player he is, going with the assumption that he is not going to all of a sudden become tougher to play against and become a better performer in the playoffs? Sure, the team can afford him because of the rising cap and the expiring Tavares contract but the question is should they? Is he a good fit for the team going forward?

To me it just seems like a lot of Leafs fan want him re-signed simply because they don't want to lost him for nothing. It's just me, but seems like thats the wrong way to go about building a team the right way.

Ah so you did, I didn't see the price there.

Yeah I'd be OK with that, I'm not trying to push star players because you can't replace those.

Depth players no matter how good they are are ALWAYS replaceable that's what makes them depth players.

Marner is different, Marner is a core player, you can't just replace Marner like you cana Jarnkrok, or a Gregor.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Ah so you did, I didn't see the price there.

Yeah I'd be OK with that, I'm not trying to push star players because you can't replace those.

Depth players no matter how good they are are ALWAYS replaceable that's what makes them depth players.

Marner is different, Marner is a core player, you can't just replace Marner like you cana Jarnkrok, or a Gregor.
Gotcha.

If Marner is part of the solution and not the problem, then there is no reason to let him walk. But then again, I am not sure this discussion around Marner would be one if that case.

Either way, I doubt any team, which Marner would be willing to waive an NMC for, would offer 2 1st round picks and 2 prospects. Not saying that he is not worth it, but Marner's cap hit, NMC, expiring contract and playoff performance is likely to limit suitors.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
With the cap going up and bad contracts off the books Marner at 11-11.5 isnt so bad. 100 point guys do not grow on trees and you wont get anywhere near fair value for him in a trade and Zero if he walks next summer..

seems to me they have little choice.....
I’m not disagreeing with the sentiment here. Except there is no way he signs for less than Nylander. Even in Nylander’s most productive year Marner was more productive and it’s not even close leading up to this year.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
In other words Leafs management went to Marner and asked if he’d waive and Marner said no.

How exactly would the Leafs be able to move Marner if he says no?
Healthy scratch him until he has a change of heart

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Because I'm not interested in moving Marner just to move him, as I said if I'm going to move a 90+ point player, I want players back, I'm not interested in a couple 1st round picks and a couple prospects that you HOPE turn into somebody as good or better than Marner, but realistically probably won't because any team he's going to waive for isn't going to have a high caliber 1sts rounder.

I'm not interested in magic beans, I want good players back if i'm moving a legitimate star.
Then the Leafs have 2 options:
1) Play out this year and let him walk for nothing.
2) Sign him to a crazy contract and run with a very similar team to the one that has underperformed for the past 6-7 years.

You might like the trade options, but it's better than nothing, offset by the chance of making a run with MM, if they are not resigning. If they do resign the Leafs are committed for the contract term to a foundation that has had almost nothing positive when it matters.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Boris Le Tigre

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jan 9, 2007
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
If Marner stays and anything, I mean anything, goes even slightly wrong he is going to get lambasted by the fans in Toronto. Rightly as his inability to accept this situation and try to make the best of it for all parties is just another example of him putting himself and his personal interests over the club.

I suppose it cold be seen as bold and perhaps even confident if he is thinking I can help the TML win that cup and I am the man for the job.

I tend to think he is heading for disaster if he stays, however.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad