Player Discussion Dominik Kubalik

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
If Joseph was a consistent scorer he'd be a 7 million dollar player.

He's a prototypical top 9 tweener.

Speed, can keep up in a scoring role if you need him, is better served as PK1 and 3rd line energy winger.

A guy who is good for ~15g-20a with 14ish mins a game.

Very valuable piece to the team, even if he's overpaid by a couple hundred thousand at the moment.
Well, if he's 15g-20a, 14 mins a game, and leading the pk, I don't think he's overpaid at all

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Yeah not looking good for Kubalik so far. You can tell he benefited greatly from playing top line and PP minutes which he’s not getting here .

He’s fine as a 3rd line guy but he doesn’t do much if he isn’t scoring and he’s not scoring.

Much rather have Pinto in the lineup

• Haha
Reactions: Sun God Nika

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yeah not looking good for Kubalik so far. You can tell he benefited greatly from playing top line and PP minutes which he’s not getting here .

He’s fine as a 3rd line guy but he doesn’t do much if he isn’t scoring and he’s not scoring.

I actually thought he had his best game.

More physical than I expected, good forechecking.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

If you watch with a broader view you will see Kubalik does a ton of good things that help the team play winning hockey.

And yes I’d rather have Pinto in the lineup but the same holds true for many players.

Well, if he's 15g-20a, 14 mins a game, and leading the pk, I don't think he's overpaid at all
The team speed is really impressive, I’m loathe to lose Joseph.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
If you watch with a broader view you will see Kubalik does a ton of good things that help the team play winning hockey.

And yes I’d rather have Pinto in the lineup but the same holds true for many players.

The team speed is really impressive, I’m loathe to lose Joseph.
It's not just the speed, it's the proverbial playing quick

As for Kubalik....that 2nd Norris goal was 100% on Kubalik. Hard hockey below the goal line. Stat watchers don't see his name though

Kubalik Norris Batherson could be an excellent line. Chartier was a bit of a black hole there. But those guys looked great last night

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Interesting how Norris returning woke both Batherson & Kubalik up & both played better with Norris as their centre. I assume that Pinto could do the same with Greig & Tarasenko.
Pinto isn't Norris.

Greig is playing so well, Pinto may not be gifted the 3rd line C spot when he returns. If that line is still cooking, I see no reason to change it up.

Someone will be coming out but where Pinto slots in remains to be seen.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Interesting how Norris returning woke both Batherson & Kubalik up & both played better with Norris as their centre. I assume that Pinto could do the same with Greig & Tarasenko.
Why do Tarasenko (4 pts in 4 games) and Greig (3 pts in 4 games) need to be woken up? They've been fine, and were even used in a shutdown role the other night...

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If Joseph was a consistent scorer he'd be a 7 million dollar player.

He's a prototypical top 9 tweener.

Speed, can keep up in a scoring role if you need him, is better served as PK1 and 3rd line energy winger.

A guy who is good for ~15g-20a with 14ish mins a game.

Very valuable piece to the team, even if he's overpaid by a couple hundred thousand at the moment.
But he is not a 30 pt player, at least he has never been, his best season was 26 pts in his first yr & only one other yr had 21 pts, the rest of the time he was under 20 pts. I guess it depends on what you want on that 3rd line, do you want an energy player or do you want more secondary scoring when the top two lines have bad nights or go into droughts? Do you want a 40 pt player on the 3rd line that can be moved up when injuries occur on the top two lines or do you move up an energy player?

Kubalik has had two 40 pt plus seasons & two 30 plus pt seasons in the last 4 yrs which makes him the better pt producer, at least on paper. Kubalik isn't slow either, he is pretty fast too, but he doesn't play the energy game that Joseph does & they still have a number of guys who are fast & with the addition of Norris & Pinto eventually they are fast as well & both are good defensively & can play on the PK or PP. Arguable yes, but they could have much more versatility on the roster with Kubalik than Joseph in this regard. It's a tough decision.

I do agree Joseph is a prototypical top 9 tweener. If we weren't missing Pinto & Greig needed more time in Belleville I would agree to keep him because he is off to such a good start, but with a full lineup up does his ice time get reduced, does his chances get reduced therefore affecting his productivity? It will be interesting to see how this plays out & what there solution is that supposedly is already in place once Pinto's camp agrees to a contract.

Reactions: coladin

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Am I beating the drum to move Kubalik? No.

I have said from day 1 that I think Greig will do fine in his role and right now that line is shining for us.

Yes, I want Pinto on the team but there is no reason to make any move just yet. Norris is back and looks like the natural goal scorer we all love.

Pinto has zero leverage, there is no reason to do anything. Lots of time before Dec 1.

Plus, as far as a memory, Joseph looked great for us to close the season 2 years ago. I don't think he is a PPG player generally but he has 2 decent linemates this season and is making the most of it. Even without scoring he is a valuable player for us.

The criticism he took in the offseason was over the top and became an echo chamber.

You see him as a more effective 200ft player than MJ?

And did you see MJ play 2 seasons ago?
I do see him as an effective 200ft player that has scored over 20 quite a few times.

He is making the little plays, such as the play that led to Norris's second goal. He was snake bit on some glorious opportunities in Carolina and Philly game.

They need the cap space. It sucks, but true. While Kubalik is a UFA, does Ottawa really want Joseph for another 2 years after this year, at $3M?

Reactions: OD99

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Pinto isn't Norris.

Greig is playing so well, Pinto may not be gifted the 3rd line C spot when he returns. If that line is still cooking, I see no reason to change it up.

Someone will be coming out but where Pinto slots in remains to be seen.
The thing with Pinto is he can play C or RW, he can play on the PP & the PK, he is very good defensively as well as on draws & he adds plenty of offence as we saw last yr & given he is still quite young should only get better. He may not be Norris yet or ever, Norris is a special player, but Pinto is already pretty good & I think it's obvious in future that he has 2nd line potential or maybe even top line potential on some teams with his size & skillset, we don't know what he could become. And having that kind of player on our 3rd line just makes this team even better.

I would be fine if they moved Pinto to RW, I talked about it before & most people have said he s the perfect 3rd line C & now with the emergence of Greig seem to be changing their minds, funny how things change so quickly in sports. I think a Tarasenko - Greig - Pinto could be awsome, they are all very good players who can all score & have excellent hockey IQs & both Pinto & Greig are very good defensively & good two way players. It.s all good news for this team with so many good young options & both Greig or Pinto can play C or wing. Someone will be coming out, but a trade seems most likely, we shall see.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
But he is not a 30 pt player, at least he has never been, his best season was 26 pts in his first yr & only one other yr had 21 pts, the rest of the time he was under 20 pts. I guess it depends on what you want on that 3rd line, do you want an energy player or do you want more secondary scoring when the top two lines have bad nights or go into droughts? Do you want a 40 pt player on the 3rd line that can be moved up when injuries occur on the top two lines or do you move up an energy player?

Kubalik has had two 40 pt plus seasons & two 30 plus pt seasons in the last 4 yrs which makes him the better pt producer, at least on paper. Kubalik isn't slow either, he is pretty fast too, but he doesn't play the energy game that Joseph does & they still have a number of guys who are fast & with the addition of Norris & Pinto eventually they are fast as well & both are good defensively & can play on the PK or PP. Arguable yes, but they could have much more versatility on the roster with Kubalik than Joseph in this regard. It's a tough decision.

I do agree Joseph is a prototypical top 9 tweener. If we weren't missing Pinto & Greig needed more time in Belleville I would agree to keep him because he is off to such a good start, but with a full lineup up does his ice time get reduced, does his chances get reduced therefore affecting his productivity? It will be interesting to see how this plays out & what there solution is that supposedly is already in place once Pinto's camp agrees to a contract.
He had 30 points in 69 games less than a year and a half ago.

He’s paced for 25+ points in every season he’s been in the league aside from his sophomore season.

His ppg for his last season + 4 games into this season is 30+.

As a Sen, he has 34 points in 71 games, ~40 point pace.

His career ppg is just under 30.

He’s every bit expected to be a 35+ point guy for the remainder of his contract, along with the other parts of his game.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Why do Tarasenko (4 pts in 4 games) and Greig (3 pts in 4 games) need to be woken up? They've been fine, and were even used in a shutdown role the other night...
It's a good point & true. If Pinto replaces Joseph on that line would Pinto improve that line or make it worse given the chemistry that has been built with Joseph? I think most agree they want Pinto back, so where does Pinto fit in now? If it comes down to Joseph or Kubalik where does Pinto fit in the lineup if Joseph stays with Greig & Tarasenko because the line works or with Norris & Batherson to replace Kubalik? Does Pinto stay at C or do they move him to RW? Does Norris or Greig stay at centre or move to LW? How many lines get disrupted to get Pinto into the lineup? It's facinating to think about given I have some time on my hands.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I do see him as an effective 200ft player that has scored over 20 quite a few times.

He is making the little plays, such as the play that led to Norris's second goal. He was snake bit on some glorious opportunities in Carolina and Philly game.

They need the cap space. It sucks, but true. While Kubalik is a UFA, does Ottawa really want Joseph for another 2 years after this year, at $3M?
Well, if he keeps playing the way he has, I'd say heck yeah.

He's now played 71 games for the sens, and scored 34 pts while being a top penalty killer, with no PP time. That's about a 40 pts pace,

I don't think he's the pt per game player he was to finish the year after the trade, but he also clearly isn't the zero ES goal player we saw last year, somewhere in the middle is a pretty good depth piece though

The issue is we're in a cap crunch this year, things get a lot better next year and beyond, and if push comes to shove, Joseph's contract gets more moveable as his play evens out over the bigger sample (not artificially devalued by the one year) and his remaining term reduces along with an increased cap.

I think Joseph can become an asset to the team going forward, while Kubalik is likely leaving as a UFA (or getting a much bigger contract)

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
He had 30 points in 69 games less than a year and a half ago.

He’s paced for 25+ points in every season he’s been in the league aside from his sophomore season.

His ppg for his last season + 4 games into this season is 30+.

His career ppg is just under 30.

He’s every bit expected to be a 35+ point guy for the remainder of his contract, along with the other parts of his game.
These are his stats since he has been in the league nowhere do I see a 30 pt season, pacing is not achieving. He could just as easily not make those numbers you mention, especially with the return of Pinto his ice time could go down, his chances might not be there especally if he plays on a lower line. I'm not saying he doesn't have the potential to do that, he may, I don't know but he hasn't yet.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
These are his stats since he has been in the league nowhere do I see a 30 pt season, pacing is not achieving. He could just as easily not make those numbers you mention, especially with the return of Pinto his ice time could go down, his chances might not be there especally if he plays on a lower line. I'm not saying he doesn't have the potential to do that, he may, I don't know but he hasn't yet.

2021-2022 he had 30 points in 69 games.

12g-18a-30p

In his 71 games as a Sen he has 34 points.

Reactions: Micklebot

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It's a good point & true. If Pinto replaces Joseph on that line would Pinto improve that line or make it worse given the chemistry that has been built with Joseph? I think most agree they want Pinto back, so where does Pinto fit in now? If it comes down to Joseph or Kubalik where does Pinto fit in the lineup if Joseph stays with Greig & Tarasenko because the line works or with Norris & Batherson to replace Kubalik? Does Pinto stay at C or do they move him to RW? Does Norris or Greig stay at centre or move to LW? How many lines get disrupted to get Pinto into the lineup? It's facinating to think about given I have some time on my hands.

Personally, I'd like to see Kubalik traded since Greig has more experience on the wing.

Greig-Pinto-Joseph

or

Kubalik-Greig-Pinto?

I like the added speed Joseph brings, and he's a threat on the PK which pays dividends.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

I think he is showing the player he can be now. People mature or change habits based on experiences.

Perhaps being scratched against his brother was a wake up call (I don't know what happened or if he even needed it) but regardless, he is demanding a spot on the team through his play this season.

Kubalik is fine, but as far as the construction of the current team I think he is redundant and MJ provides more. Kubalik may also demand more than $3M next season so the question becomes which player is more desired after Kubalik's new price is established.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
2021-2022 he had 30 points in 69 games.

12g-18a-30p

In his 71 games as a Sen he has 34 points.

He did, my mistake with Tampa & the Sens, I missed that, but is he a better pt producer than Kubalik who has had over 30 pts 4 yrs in a row especially given Kubalik is playing with Norris & Batherson? We'll see sooner or later who management decides to move once Pinto agrees to a contract.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He did, my mistake with Tampa & the Sens, I missed that, but is he a better pt producer than Kubalik who has had over 30 pts 4 yrs in a row especially given Kubalik is playing with Norris & Batherson? We'll see sooner or later who management decides to move once Pinto agrees to a contract.
If both are in the bottom 6? Absolutely.

Kubalik is a top 6 flank guy, he was perfectly suited in that spot until we signed Tarasenko.

For this roster construction, Joseph is the guy you’d keep without a doubt if you want to ice the best team.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If both are in the bottom 6? Absolutely.

Kubalik is a top 6 flank guy, he was perfectly suited in that spot until we signed Tarasenko.

For this roster construction, Joseph is the guy you’d keep without a doubt if you want to ice the best team.
Kubalik is still in a top flank position IMO playing LW on a line with Batherson & Norris, that's their defacto second line isn't it? Tarasenko is playing with Joseph & Greig, if Pinto returns it's likely he plays with Tarasenko & Greig doesn't he?
Greig - Pinto - Tarasenko.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
I was very high on Kubalik coming in, you can go see my old posts praising his past performance and how I thought he would be a great fit here.

That being said, he hasn't look too good so far in this early season. I think, right now, he is the best candidate to move as Joseph has some good chemistry with this line mates, and has shown a marked improvement all over the ice since last season.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Kubalik is still in a top flank position IMO playing LW on a line with Batherson & Norris, that's their defacto second line isn't it? Tarasenko is playing with Joseph & Greig, if Pinto returns it's likely he plays with Tarasenko & Greig doesn't he?
We don't know what the Sens would do. That is what I would do but the "right answer" is subjective

Reactions: aragorn

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Grieg would likely take Kubalik’s spot.

Tkachuk-Stu-Giroux
Grieg-Norris-Batherson
Joseph-Pinto-Tarasenko

They are going to keep Grieg and his PK time playing a lot, likewise with Joseph.

Kubalik is a bottom 6, with no special teams play once Pinto returns.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad