Player Discussion Dominik Kubalik

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Kubalk and Tarasenko on the same line is pointless.

The line-up didn't include trades but was meant to show depth chart, which is very much a playoffs bound looking team with improvement in all areas of the line-up even if we lose a player to accommodate Pinto. Perhaps I would add that losing Brannstrom is riskier as the other D options from Belleville are waiver picks, Kleven is not yet ready.

I think Kubalik would produce with Norris and/or Pinto as a finisher. But trading Kubalik makes the most sense as he doesn't have a term and is the juicer sell than Joseph's 3 more years at $2.9x M.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
To be fair to Kubalik, playing with Chartier as your centre doesn't bode well for the type of game he plays, he needs a set up man. Chartier has been giving it all and has looked good defensively, better than Jesus Kastelic who seems to be a bit behind in plays. But Chartier is an offensive blackhole between Kubalik and Batherson. I would have liked to see him play with Pinto and/or Norris as Kubalik never was or will be a line driver.

If he is the easiest trade, then send him packing. His spot on the roster is replaceable by a less expensive My Precious Smejkal who can slot lower in the line up, allowing Greig to take that spot.

When signed and healthy, the line-up can look like this:

Tkachuk-Stutzle-Giroux
Greig-Norris-Batherson
Joseph/Kubalik-Pinto-Tarasenko
Smejkal-Kastelic-McEwen/Kelly (send one down if necessitated by cap availability, Kastelic can't feel comfortable with Chartier proving he can be a 4th line minute eater/PKer)

Chychrun-Chabot
Zub-Sanderson
Brannstrom/Kleven/JBD/Lassi-Hamonic

f*** yeah playoffs baby!
We'll have more clarity Wednesday, if hopefully Norris is ready to play. We could keep the lines that are working well so far intact, and providing a play driver for Kubalik.

With a healthy Norris on Wednesday (crossing fingers, toes and other appendages):

Chuck - Norris - Batherson <- reuniting a line that has worked in the past
Kubalik - Stu - Giroux <- give Kubalik some help
Joseph - Greig - TaraSENko <- our MVP line so far
Kelly - Chartier/Kastelic - MacEwen <- send one of Chartier or Kastelic down

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
We'll have more clarity Wednesday, if hopefully Norris is ready to play. We could keep the lines that are working well so far intact, and providing a play driver for Kubalik.

With a healthy Norris on Wednesday (crossing fingers, toes and other appendages):

Not a bad combo while Pinto is unsigned. Stu and Giroux have yet to hit their strides, but I prefer Tkachuk with them when everyone is healthy as I find that to be the stronger configuration as a dominant first line in the league. Greig-Norris-Batherson is intriguing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Chartier is the obvious guy to send down or keep around as the 13th forward, but they need Kastelic in the faceoff circle where he has been great so far this season & in the pre-season & they need his toughness in the lineup.

Reactions: Cosmix

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Kubalik is a complimentary winger who needs a centre. Chartier is a centre who needs to be on a 4th line, he is playing well but he’s not a fit with Kubalik and Batherson.
I completely agree, but it goes to show that Kubalik is a dependent winger who doesn’t bring much when he isn’t scoring

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
People who expect Kubalik to be much more than what he is have not watched him play before.

He is a luxury we don't need at the expense of Pinto

Reactions: Bileur and DJB

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
People who expect Kubalik to be much more than what he is have not watched him play before.

He is a luxury we don't need at the expense of Pinto

I think he's just not a good fit with the current configuration but I also think Batherson has been very bad to start the season and it's really not helping Kubalik. The line is not playing horrible as a unit but there's something missing. They're playing like a forechecking line, which is not bad in itself, but it just doesn't compliment these players.

Batherson is at his best when he has the puck on his stick. He can slow down the game and find passing lanes and keep goalies on their toes with his shot. He's skating really well and bringing a ton of energy but it's almost like he forgot what makes him succesful.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Its too bad we can't evaluate these guys when they are properly slotted with a full roster.

The slotting now, has helped players, and hurt others. The coaching staff could improve the balance in the top 9 lines but they will stick with the success they are having and given their predicament I don't blame them. It is in their best interest however, to get Batherson and Kubalik going.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
That's kind of the problem with hockey & hockey players they are so superstitious that nobody wants to change anything when it's working.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Right like tkachuk-Norris-batherson
But now the Brady / Stu / G line is more dominant than that line was.

The most amazing and impactful development from the Norris/Pinto saga to start the year is how impressive a line Joseph/Riddler/Tank has been so far.

3 guys who we didn't even know would be on the Senators roster a few months ago may become the best 3rd line we have had in ages.

Even numbering the 2nd and 3rd lines will be hard if Josh is back.

Reactions: Bileur and DrEasy

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
This is a the guy we need to move to fit in Pinto.

He’s not going to be back next year anyways and he’s been outplayed by everyone else just about.
He's not the kind of player that you assess after 3 games. He's always been really, really streaky (I only know this because i looked into him after we acquired him). I can see it though, he will score in bunches. One night he'll look invisible - maybe even for a stretch of games, then he'll score 8 goals in 3 games, it's the way these guys are.

Reactions: robsenz and aragorn

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
This is a the guy we need to move to fit in Pinto.

He’s not going to be back next year anyways and he’s been outplayed by everyone else just about.
No way.

Incredible how short people's memories are around here. Joseph was hot garbage last year. He was scratched for disciplinary reasons last year. Get rid of him while you can.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
But now the Brady / Stu / G line is more dominant than that line was.

The most amazing and impactful development from the Norris/Pinto saga to start the year is how impressive a line Joseph/Riddler/Tank has been so far.

3 guys who we didn't even know would be on the Senators roster a few months ago may become the best 3rd line we have had in ages.

Even numbering the 2nd and 3rd lines will be hard if Josh is back.
Given that Norris is returning from injury and has not played any games yet in preseason or season, I think we should ease him into the lineup and retain the top 2 lines that are working now instead of inserting Norris and potentially disrupting the effectiveness of those lines.

Tkachuk - Stutzle - Giroux
Joseph - Greig - Tarasenko
Kubalik - Norris - Batherson
Kelly - Kastelic - MacEwen

Reactions: DrEasy and OD99

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Wondering if at this point Dorian is just waiting for an inevitable injury to free up some money to sign Pinto.

One is going to happen sooner or later. Someone significant will probably go down days after he pulls the trigger on a trade.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Given that Norris is returning from injury and has not played any games yet in preseason or season, I think we should ease him into the lineup and retain the top 2 lines that are working now instead of inserting Norris and potentially disrupting the effectiveness of those lines.

Tkachuk - Stutzle - Giroux
Joseph - Greig - Tarasenko
Kubalik - Norris - Batherson
Kelly - Kastelic - MacEwen
Agree. Not sure those lines should change once Norris is back in the swing, anyway.

Obviously he should be on PP1 right away as well. Adding a sniper 1 timer from right halfway will have the PK thinking about a lot of things at once!

Reactions: Cosmix

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Every minute Dorion spends trying to trade Joseph or Brannstrom instead of the obvious Kubalik (even if it's for a 6th round pick) will be judged harshly by Staios who will decide on Dorion's future probably next summer.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Wondering if at this point Dorian is just waiting for an inevitable injury to free up some money to sign Pinto.

One is going to happen sooner or later. Someone significant will probably go down days after he pulls the trigger on a trade.
I think it would have to be an LTIR type injury to create cap space to sign Pinto, and it would have to be for the rest of the season to avoid having to make a trade of a roster player to create such space if the injured player returns during the season. I don't think LTIR injuries lasting for an entire season happen often. As a GM I would not like to count on a season long LTIR to create the cap space to sign Pinto.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I think it would have to be an LTIR type injury to create cap space to sign Pinto, and it would have to be for the rest of the season to avoid having to make a trade of a roster player to create such space if the injured player returns during the season. I don't think LTIR injuries lasting for an entire season happen often. As a GM I would not like to count on a season long LTIR to create the cap space to sign Pinto.

They do sometimes.

And even if the one that happens soon isn't a season ending injury, there will be others.

Play cap twister the rest of the way and waive or trade when you have to

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Every minute Dorion spends trying to trade Joseph or Brannstrom instead of the obvious Kubalik (even if it's for a 6th round pick) will be judged harshly by Staios who will decide on Dorion's future probably next summer.
Pretty sure all that has been decided and none of this matters in terms of Dorion’s “future”.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

I think if it was as easy as trading Kubalik for future considerations, let alone a draft pick, this would be done.

I doubt anybody would take Kubalik right now.

How many teams have 2.5M without going into LTIR?
*How many of those teams aren't budget teams?
**How many of those teams need a middle 6 winger?
***How many of those teams want to waste the opportunity cost of banking cap space on a middle 6 winger?

You're left with nowhere to trade him to without taking back cap, which defeats the point. Teams are probably asking for a 2nd or 3rd round pick to take Kubalik.

Reactions: GCK

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
No way.

Incredible how short people's memories are around here. Joseph was hot garbage last year. He was scratched for disciplinary reasons last year. Get rid of him while you can.
Last year is over and it was a down season for him.

He is fired up, using his speed and very clearly put a ton of time into improving his release and power. How about appreciate a kid making his game better?

Reactions: R We A Team

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think if it was as easy as trading Kubalik for future considerations, let alone a draft pick, this would be done.

I doubt anybody would take Kubalik right now.

How many teams have 2.5M without going into LTIR?
*How many of those teams aren't budget teams?
**How many of those teams need a middle 6 winger?
***How many of those teams want to waste the opportunity cost of banking cap space on a middle 6 winger?

You're left with nowhere to trade him to without taking back cap, which defeats the point. Teams are probably asking for a 2nd or 3rd round pick to take Kubalik.

So, a couple things,

Teams don't need 2.5 mil to fit Kubalik, they need about 1.5 plus a willingness to waive a guy he'd be replacing. No team is acquiring Kubalik on top of their current roster, they'd either waive a player or send one back for us to waive.

Teams don't need to carry 23 or 22 roster players, if they are willing to go down to 21 or even 20, they can add 1.5 to 2.3 just by dropping one additional healthy scratch beyond the guy Kubalik replaces. I don't see any teams willing to drop to a 20 man roster to accommodate Kubalik but that only eliminates 5 teams.

So with that in mind, the min needed to accomodate Kubalik is a 22 or more man roster, and 200k to 1 mil in cap space depending on the players you remove from your roster.

Reactions: H2O

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
So with that in mind, the min needed to accomodate Kubalik is a 22 or more man roster, and 200k to 1 mil in cap space depending on the players you remove from your roster.
I must be tired because I don’t follow your math. How does 200K-1M work. Most waiver exempt players are below 1M.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad