Player Discussion Dominik Kubalik

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Thought on if there is a market for Kubalik ?

3rd round pick?

Or do we just waive him
I dont think anyone in the east is going to help Ottawa but you'd think/hope there is a team in the west that needs some depth at a great price. A late pick should be available you would think. Which teams in the west have cap space? Options are really limited it honestly just looks like Chicago, Anaheim or San Jose.

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
I dont think anyone in the east is going to help Ottawa but you'd think/hope there is a team in the west that needs some depth at a great price. A late pick should be available you would think. Which teams in the west have cap space?
Nashville

Chicago

LA ( if VA is placed on LTIR)

Seattle maybe?

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Nashville

Chicago

LA ( if VA is placed on LTIR)

Seattle maybe?
This should be the focus now. It is very difficult to see how VA avoids a long stint on LTIR after back surgery. LA sees themselves as a contender, so they need a body to replace him who can actually play. I also like the notion of burying our sad cap dump in the West so that the player is limited in how much he can hurt us...

Reactions: sennysensen

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Poor Batherson who plays with Chartier and Kubalik lol

I could see 3rd or 4th

Agreed, Kubalik current value should be a bit less than usual because teams who would want to acquire him would want to make a PROFIT at the deadline. So pay a 4th, sell for a 2nd or 3rd at the deadline depending on the season he has

Reactions: DrEasy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
So he's played 3 games on a new team averaging under 11 minutes 5v5; Do the 30 goals "possible" predicted when he was first acquired still stand?

I said we should be patient with Tarasenko and I think we should be patient with Kubalik and maybe lower those 30 goal expectations if there were any.
Some players have had good starts some have been slower out of the gate for a variety of reasons and determined to be so through a few factors.

Dorion has to make a decision to get Pinto into the fold and one possibility is Kubalik , that is just the reality based on his AAV and the relative impact to the team. Its been a small sample size under less than ideal circumstances.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
So he's played 3 games on a new team averaging under 11 minutes 5v5; Do the 30 goals "possible" predicted when he was first acquired still stand?

I said we should be patient with Tarasenko and I think we should be patient with Kubalik and maybe lower those 30 goal expectations if there were any.
Some players have had good starts some have been slower out of the gate for a variety of reasons and determined to be so through a few factors.

Dorion has to make a decision to get Pinto into the fold and one possibility is Kubalik , that is just the reality based on his AAV and the relative impact to the team. Its been a small sample size under less than ideal circumstances.

I always thought that Kubalik was intended to be redundancy in the face of adversity.

How the heck would he score 30 goals playing where he belongs in the bottom six with occasional PP2 time?

What planet are these people on? He'll be lucky to get 15 goals.

Maybe he'd get 25-30 goals playing on the top line for an entire season.

Our team isn't very deep. In a vacuum, I'd keep Joseph, Kubalik -and- Brannstrom. That's what is tricky about this affair.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I always thought that Kubalik was intended to be redundancy in the face of adversity.

How the heck would he score 30 goals playing where he belongs in the bottom six with occasional PP2 time?

What planet are these people on? He'll be lucky to get 15 goals.

Maybe he'd get 25-30 goals playing on the top line for an entire season.

Our team isn't very deep. In a vacuum, I'd keep Joseph, Kubalik and Brannstrom. That's what is tricky about this affair.

I saw him as a decent middle 6 winger that would be slotted on the 3rd line to offer depth scoring. We were missing depth last year and I was clamoring for it wrt the DeBrincat acquisition where I thought spreading the in the middle 6 was the way to go.. Kubalik would not have been on the top of my list to fill that spot but Dorion had to take what he could get for DeBrincat at the time without completely undressing.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I saw him as a decent middle 6 winger that would be slotted on the 3rd line to offer depth scoring. We were missing depth last year and I was clamoring for it wrt the DeBrincat acquisition where I thought spreading the in the middle 6 was the way to go.. Kubalik would not have been on the top of my list to fill that spot but Dorion had to take what he could get for DeBrincat at the time without completely undressing.

That's basically what I was thinking as well.

Plus if you need a guy to shoot the puck if injuries pile up, he can do that in the circles on the PP.

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
He is still trying to figure out the system. Let's see where he is in a couple of weeks.

He needs to gain some confidence again.
He's pretty redundant rn,

Pinto > Kubalik if I'm choosing between the two

Plus Pinto has a future with the team,

Kubalik likely signs elsewhere

Dorion risks alienating Pinto the longer this drags out ...

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
He is still trying to figure out the system. Let's see where he is in a couple of weeks.

He needs to gain some confidence again.
I agree with that, but as long as we keep winning, because you know damn well that if we lose a couple here, then the pressure will be immense on PD to make a move and signed Pinto. Something needs to happen soon with Pinto because we can't have this as distraction.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
If we lose him then Greig can move to W or even Golum gets recalled and Greig gets top minutes in Belleville.

I think Greig is showing he is an NHL player but more time in the A wouldn't hurt him.

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
Need Norris back to boost his value with Kubalik-Norris-Batherson for a few weeks.

Few weeks .... Dorion doesn't have a few weeks

Every day Dorion waits it's an additional $14k on the cap he needs to open up to sign Pinto.

So in one week already , Dorion needs an additional 98K in cap space to sign Pinto to $2.5M

So it's already at $ 2.6M

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
To be fair to Kubalik, playing with Chartier as your centre doesn't bode well for the type of game he plays, he needs a set up man. Chartier has been giving it all and has looked good defensively, better than Jesus Kastelic who seems to be a bit behind in plays. But Chartier is an offensive blackhole between Kubalik and Batherson. I would have liked to see him play with Pinto and/or Norris as Kubalik never was or will be a line driver.

If he is the easiest trade, then send him packing. His spot on the roster is replaceable by a less expensive My Precious Smejkal who can slot lower in the line up, allowing Greig to take that spot.

Depth chart (not necessarily line combos):

Tkachuk-Stutzle-Giroux
Greig-Norris-Batherson
Joseph/Kubalik-Pinto-Tarasenko
Smejkal-Kastelic-McEwen/Kelly (send one down if necessitated by cap availability, Kastelic can't feel comfortable with Chartier proving he can be a 4th line minute eater/PKer)

Chychrun-Chabot
Zub-Sanderson
Brannstrom/Kleven/JBD/Lassi-Hamonic

f*** yeah playoffs baby!

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Kubalik is a complimentary winger who needs a centre. Chartier is a centre who needs to be on a 4th line, he is playing well but he’s not a fit with Kubalik and Batherson.
I've been pleasently surprised with Chartier but you're right, he's not a fit on that line.

I wonder what happens with Norris and or Pinto are back, do we send him down, or has he stolen Kastelic's spot as 4th line center? I'm a big fan of what Kastelic could be but so far it's been far too aspirational and not enough actual performance on his part.

Reactions: Ice-Tray and DrEasy

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
To be fair to Kubalik, playing with Chartier as your centre doesn't bode well for the type of game he plays, he needs a set up man. Chartier has been giving it all and has looked good defensively, better than Jesus Kastelic who seems to be a bit behind in plays. But Chartier is an offensive blackhole between Kubalik and Batherson. I would have liked to see him play with Pinto and/or Norris as Kubalik never was or will be a line driver.

If he is the easiest trade, then send him packing. His spot on the roster is replaceable by a less expensive My Precious Smejkal who can slot lower in the line up, allowing Greig to take that spot.

When signed and healthy, the line-up can look like this:

Tkachuk-Stutzle-Giroux
Greig-Norris-Batherson
Joseph/Kubalik-Pinto-Tarasenko
Smejkal-Kastelic-McEwen/Kelly (send one down if necessitated by cap availability)

Chychrun-Chabot
Zub-Sanderson
Brannstrom/Kleven/JBD/Lassi-Hamonic

f*** yeah playoffs baby!
Kubalk and Tarasenko on the same line is pointless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad