Does Marner lose his 'A' with the leadership changes?

Does he?

• Yes

Votes: 55 46.2%
  • No

Votes: 64 53.8%

• Total voters

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
The best leader on that team is Tanev. Doesn't matter who wears the letter he is the one that will lead by example and give everything every shift.

Remind me how many cups the Canucks and Flames won with his leadersip? I am assuming you are abstracting not winning with poor leadership so it is a fair criticism. Tanev is not the only player who gives everything every shift.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Remind me how many cups the Canucks and Flames won with his leadersip? I am assuming you are abstracting not winning with poor leadership so it is a fair criticism. Tanev is not the only player who gives everything every shift.
True. But he's 1 of the few guys on the Leafs who does that ATM.

Reactions: Racer88

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
True. But he's 1 of the few guys on the Leafs who does that ATM.

I can't agree with that. Tavares does it, he's just not what he was. Matthews does it, I won't accept he doesn't and can score 69 goals or else you are basically saying if he did he scores 100. McCabe and Benoit are warriors. Domi gives his all. I can keep going

Reactions: Bust
Sep 18, 2009
I would keep Matthews and Nyalnder
Marner would be good to trade (impossible)
Tavares would be good to trade (possible)
Rielly would be good to trade but wnat to see the Tanev experiment first

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Marner should absolutely be stripped of the A. But if the captaincies were actually given out to players who deserved them instead of to the highest paid player that sells jerseys, Matthews wouldn't have a letter either. The group would be Rielly, Tanev, McCabe.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
If you are going to make changes, make em all at once. Marner with or without an A, don't really care. Either way, whatever respect and currency he might have had with his teammates, disappeared. The players know who the leaders are... they always know.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Refuses to accept personal accountability.

Points the fingers at his teammates. Instead of demanding more from the man in the mirror. This is on top of waging his own personal war with anyone not in his inner circle.

Does this sound like leadership material to you?

Stripping Marner of his "A" should be the very next step. Make it clear to this loser he's not wanted here anymore. He can be a crybaby about it and try to hold the team hostage by refusing to waive

😭 😭 😭

He won't be getting another contract from the Toronto Maple Leafs.

The only thing Marner led was the charge to the bank anyway. His guerilla negotiation tactics made clear he worships at the altar of mammon. Now he can lead the charge out the door.

Take Tavares, Treliving, and Shanahan with him too.
So you're saying you're a fan of the rest of the roster and coach's.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I can't agree with that. Tavares does it, he's just not what he was. Matthews does it, I won't accept he doesn't and can score 69 goals or else you are basically saying if he did he scores 100. McCabe and Benoit are warriors. Domi gives his all. I can keep going

We know Nylander never does it ... 98 points is just easy for him ... or so the story goes.

marner should only get the 'A' if he plays center.

Is that an incentive?

Reactions: HockeyVirus

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
We know Nylander never does it ... 98 points is just easy for him ... or so the story goes.

marner should only get the 'A' if he plays center.

Is that an incentive?

Hah yeah according to some Nylander is floating around and avoiding contact while scoring 40+ goals and 95+ points haha. I guess he must just be that good..

I don't want Marner playing center. He has never shown the ability to go to the areas good centers thrive in

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Jesus, what's wrong with you people?

Marner has been a productive, hard working Leaf who has given us over half a decade of all star caliber play

It's not his fault our GM was a moron who overpaid him and gave him everything he wanted contractually, that's on management not the player

Not changing the team composition is on management as well, they had plenty of opportunity to make changes but didn't, that's on them not the player

Marner is still a Leaf and as such we should all hope he kills it next season and I'd have zero problems with him keeping the A, he hasn't done anything to have it stripped off him

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Jesus, what's wrong with you people?

Marner has been a productive, hard working Leaf who has given us over half a decade of all star caliber play

It's not his fault our GM was a moron who overpaid him and gave him everything he wanted contractually, that's on management not the player

Not changing the team composition is on management as well, they had plenty of opportunity to make changes but didn't, that's on them not the player

Marner is still a Leaf and as such we should all hope he kills it next season and I'd have zero problems with him keeping the A, he hasn't done anything to have it stripped off him
Is there a reason why this entire post makes absolutely no mention of Marner’s playoff performance/non-performance? The omission is quite glaring and it speaks for itself by saying nothing at all.

Has he delivered All-Star calibre play in the playoffs, or do they not matter?

Considering that is the reason that a segment of the population has soured on Marner, I think you need to at least acknowledge it as well.

The argument here is Marner’s lack of playoff performance (he’s actually been terrible) multiple times, added that he will be 28, added that he’s expected to ask for $12m a season, yes, he isn’t worth what he will ask and I don’t care about any player on this team who doesn’t earn his pay.

He is a soft player that doesn’t show up for playoff hockey who wants to be paid a premium. We don’t need that.

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Is there a reason why this entire post makes absolutely no mention of Marner’s playoff performance/non-performance?

Has he delivered All-Star calibre play in the playoffs, or do they not matter?

Considering that is the reason that a segment of the population has soured on Marner, I think you need to at least acknowledge it as well.

The argument here is Marner’s lack of playoff performance (he’s actually been terrible) multiple times, added that he will be 28, added that he’s expected to ask for $12m a season, yes, he isn’t worth what he will ask and I don’t care about any player on this team who doesn’t earn his pay.

He is a soft player that doesn’t show up for playoff hockey who wants to be paid a premium. We don’t need that.

He's an all situations, matchup winger who's put up over 50 points during our playoff failures

He's not the reason we can't win ****

Why don't you try blaming the real culprits here, management, there the ones who didn't want to do anything so kept on doing the same thing year after year

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
He's an all situations, matchup winger who's put up over 50 points during our playoff failures

He's not the reason we can't win ****

Why don't you try blaming the real culprits here, management, there the ones who didn't want to do anything so kept on doing the same thing year after year
I do blame management, 100%.

I also blame Marner for not being what is needed and insisting on being paid like an elite player, which he has proven he is not

Marner is not the only problem, but he is a part of the problem, and all problems need to be moved on from, particularly one that wants $12m to do nothing in the playoffs.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
This.
You don’t pull a letter from the teams most popular player. The letters will remain with the same players, Tavares will just go back to an A.

Nylander is too immature and selfish to be given a letter.

in fact, Marner should be given the C

he is, after all, the heart and soul of the team; the straw that stirs the drink; the one with a hockey IQ exceeding that of Wayne Gretzky; the hometown kid; the ever jovial youth; and much more.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Last edited:

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Every leader doesn't win doesn't make them less of a leader. Could give many examples. However I'll just give one Wendel Clark nobody can deny he was a leader heart and soul player your very own.

Last edited:

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Why would he lose the A? To me that makes as much sense as, since Mathews is the Captain will the Leaf logo change?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
in fact, Marner should be given the C

he is, after all, the heart and soul of the team; the straw that stirs the drink; the one with a hockey IQ exceeding that of Wayne Gretzky; the hometown kid; the ever jovial youth; and much more.
It was always going to be Matthews, right choice IMO.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Screenshot_2024-05-15-11-43-19~3.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad