Does dubas remain GM if the leafs get bounced by Florida?

Does dubas remain Leaf’s GM if Toronto loses out in rd 2 ?

• Yes

Votes: 172 34.6%
  • No

Votes: 239 48.1%
  • Depends how the leafs lose in rd 2

Votes: 86 17.3%

• Total voters

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
I think dubas is a good gm with one huge flaw. Loyalty. Loyalty to his guys. Keefe, his big name players.

Lose the Loyalty. Grow some cojones. If he's on board to fire keefe and trade big names in a retool, do it. If not, buh bye and let's tear it all down and rebuild. Except we don't have our 1st picks, so might as well retool.
Loyalty isn't a fault, its a virtue. Stubbornness and arrogance are faults, both have shown through with Dubas.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Dubas will get an offer to come back, and he'll turn it down and go take the keys to the castle somewhere else for a bigger contract and autonomy.

MLSE will offer him 2-3 years, Pittsburgh/other will offer 5+. MLSE played with fire not extending him earlier and is about to get burned IMO.

Just pray it doesn't cost the team AM34 in the process given how tight they are.
yea because they have both done so much to bring playoff success to the team. At this point with the way things have gone the last few years who cares who goes? Seattle is already surpassing us in their 2nd year and have no stars. Should we just keep running it back over and over til Matthews retires? He has never risen to the occassion so I think what we see is what we are going to get....a regular season goal scorer who fades away in the big moments.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Dubas will get an offer to come back, and he'll turn it down and go take the keys to the castle somewhere else for a bigger contract and autonomy.

MLSE will offer him 2-3 years, Pittsburgh/other will offer 5+. MLSE played with fire not extending him earlier and is about to get burned IMO.

Just pray it doesn't cost the team AM34 in the process given how tight they are.
How tight are they? Legit question as other than the sweetheart contracts and never criticizing anything I don't really have a frame of reference for Kyle and the big 3 since the promise to Willie.

Reactions: JKG33

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think dubas is a good gm with one huge flaw. Loyalty. Loyalty to his guys. Keefe, his big name players.

Lose the Loyalty. Grow some cojones. If he's on board to fire keefe and trade big names in a retool, do it. If not, buh bye and let's tear it all down and rebuild. Except we don't have our 1st picks, so might as well retool.

Well, his other flaw is he doesn't understand goalies, doesn't put proper value on building a blueline with size, drafts a lot of project players who can't be promoted and used in support roles to help his core, spends too much on forwards, specifically on the wrong mix of forwards, seems unusually attracted to "Swiss Army Knife" forwards who don't hit, playmaker or score, and promotes prospects in a poorly thought out throw them into the fire type style,

Other than that he seems to be learning the playoff game, gets some good mileage out his Moneyball guys and seems to have found something nice in Knies.

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010
yea because they have both done so much to bring playoff success to the team. At this point with the way things have gone the last few years who cares who goes? Seattle is already surpassing us in their 2nd year and have no stars. Should we just keep running it back over and over til Matthews retires? He has never risen to the occassion so I think what we see is what we are going to get....a regular season goal scorer who fades away in the big moments.

Matthews had 5 goals in round 1. He was bad vs Florida but he isn't the problem. Tkachuk had zero goals in the series too. Hes the greatest player in the history of the franchise if he plays out his career here - its... pretty obvious why you try to keep him.

Anyone else - can move. I'd like to keep Nylander because I do think they need big changes and hes the one of the four that has consistently shown up every year in the playoffs.

Move Marner to Columbus where he was considering an offersheet for all I care, but priority needs to be to keep AM34.

How tight are they? Legit question as other than the sweetheart contracts and never criticizing anything I don't really have a frame of reference for Kyle and the big 3 since the promise to Willie.

Chris Johnston and Nick Kypreos (two opposite ends of the media spectrum IMO) both consistently talked about the risk MLSE is taking with Dubas not getting an extension and pointed to his relationship with Matthews.

No clue how tight they are, but both think a bit differently, and Dubas has put his neck on the line for the core of this team so many times i'd only be guessing, but I assume they're pretty tight.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Matthews had 5 goals in round 1. He was bad vs Florida but he isn't the problem. Tkachuk had zero goals in the series too. Hes the greatest player in the history of the franchise if he plays out his career here - its... pretty obvious why you try to keep him.

Anyone else - can move. I'd like to keep Nylander because I do think they need big changes and hes the one of the four that has consistently shown up every year in the playoffs.

Move Marner to Columbus where he was considering an offersheet for all I care, but priority needs to be to keep AM34.

Chris Johnston and Nick Kypreos (two opposite ends of the media spectrum IMO) both consistently talked about the risk MLSE is taking with Dubas not getting an extension and pointed to his relationship with Matthews.

No clue how tight they are, but both think a bit differently, and Dubas has put his neck on the line for the core of this team so many times i'd only be guessing, but I assume they're pretty tight.
Wait so you mean if Dubas goes Matthews likely will too? Seems too good to be true

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010
Well, his other flaw is he doesn't understand goalies, doesn't put proper value on building a blueline with size, drafts a lot of project players who can't be promoted and used in support roles to help his core, spends too much on forwards, specifically on the wrong mix of forwards, seems unusually attracted to "Swiss Army Knife" forwards who don't hit, playmaker or score, and promotes prospects in a poorly thought out throw them into the fire type style,

Other than that he seems to be learning the playoff game, gets some good mileage out his Moneyball guys and seems to have found something nice in Knies.

Which GM understands goalies? Dubas' approach is don't get locked into term with goalies because they're mostly voodoo. He may not pick the best guys, but at least he doesn't pretend like he understands them and signs them to immovable contracts ala Jack Campbell/Ken Holland

Reactions: sunstersun

myleafs

May 25, 2021

The same round 1 where the leafs got outplayed for the most part? 0 goals in 5 games when the going got tough. No shows previous years...grinning when being manhandled....Im not seeing a champion in Matthews...a prolific sniper yep...champion who will do anything to win....nope. and re Tkachuk who cares what he does but ...when not scoring he does other things. He is a force out there and the team follows him.

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010
The same round 1 where the leafs got outplayed for the most part? 0 goals in 5 games when the going got tough. No shows previous years...grinning when being manhandled....Im not seeing a champion in Matthews...a prolific sniper yep...champion who will do anything to win....nope. and re Tkachuk who cares what he does but ...when not scoring he does other things. He is a force out there and the team follows him.

Matthews did more "other things" than Tkachuk to be fair (didn't do enough, don't get me wrong, but Matthews was blocking shots and good defensively, just didn't score).

Can't have it both ways. Leafs dominated Tampa/MTL in previous years and lost. To say they got outplayed so we can't give them credit for beating Tampa this year (which is correct, tampa did outplay them) means you have to give them credit for when they outplay other teams.

I get everyone is emotional and wants change. I want major change (Coach, Marner, etc), but the idea Matthews, who has had good series and won an MVP for this franchise less than a year ago, can't win, is absurd IMO.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Matthews did more "other things" than Tkachuk to be fair (didn't do enough, don't get me wrong, but Matthews was blocking shots and good defensively, just didn't score).

Can't have it both ways. Leafs dominated Tampa/MTL in previous years and lost. To say they got outplayed so we can't give them credit for beating Tampa this year (which is correct, tampa did outplay them) means you have to give them credit for when they outplay other teams.

I get everyone is emotional and wants change. I want major change (Coach, Marner, etc), but the idea Matthews, who has had good series and won an MVP for this franchise less than a year ago, can't win, is absurd IMO.
Agree to disagree..........isnt that what he is paid to do?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

He has to score. You can't have one series on one series off. Him and JT 22M cap space combined and 0 goals. That's a big f***ing problem. AM has to be held accountable. But he won't. He will keep demanding 13-14 M dollars and the Leafs will give it to him.

Yes, and he did it in round 1. Needs to be better.

Is Tkachuk paid to get zero goals?

Yea, he didn't score but guys like Verhaghe, Barkov, Reinhart all contributed. While JT and Marner get 1 goal in 5 games. Barkov, Reinhart, Verhaghe, those guys are not making 11M + on the cap either.

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010
He has to score. You can't have one series on one series off. Him and JT 22M cap space combined and 0 goals. That's a big f***ing problem. AM has to be held accountable. But he won't. He will keep demanding 13-14 M dollars and the Leafs will give it to him.

Right so they replace him with someone else who is worse and will probably get less goals than Matthews.

He has to score more, and be better. I'd move Marner, I think he will always have trouble in the playoffs with his size frankly. I think different guys around 34 can make it work.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg

Yea, he didn't score but guys like Verhaghe, Barkov, Reinhart all contributed. While JT and Marner get 1 goal in 5 games. Barkov, Reinhart, Verhaghe, those guys are not making 11M + on the cap either.
"We can and we will" continue to overpay inconsistent stars and fail in the playoffs

sunstersun

May 12, 2017

Paying Matthews 13-14 mil means we're only going after the regular season trophy.

Reactions: PromisedLand

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010

Right and you can't move Tavares with his NMC and I'm saying i'd trade Marner

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
He did what he did and made it pretty clear he was succeeding with his choices or failing but either way was sticking to his plan. He bet on his way and lost. No grudges against this type of thinking, however its now time to pay the piper.
Agreed. I respect when people stick to their guns. It didn't work because the guns were loaded with blanks but at least he had the conviction.

Reactions: myleafs

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Which GM understands goalies? Dubas' approach is don't get locked into term with goalies because they're mostly voodoo. He may not pick the best guys, but at least he doesn't pretend like he understands them and signs them to immovable contracts ala Jack Campbell/Ken Holland

Labeling everything you don't understand as "voodoo" is a very self serving world view and I'd expect more insight from a front office with the resources it has.

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010
Tkachuk was noticeable all the games. Matthews was not. When Matthews is not scoring he brings nothing. When Tkachuk is not scoring he brings other elements.

Eh after game one i didn't really notice Tkachuk much at all to be honest. Matthews generated more than him (still needed to generate more)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad