Does dubas remain GM if the leafs get bounced by Florida?

Does dubas remain Leaf’s GM if Toronto loses out in rd 2 ?

• Yes

Votes: 172 34.6%
  • No

Votes: 239 48.1%
  • Depends how the leafs lose in rd 2

Votes: 86 17.3%

• Total voters

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Kadri and the whole Leafs team got screwed by Refs that absolutely 100% had an agenda in mind. They let everyone take liberties, real liberties on us until someone snapped and did that. It was just Kadri that got goaded into it.

Dubas never liked the guy, he wanted NuHockey which is the trash all the little fairy fans around here raved about and blinked about at with wide eyes of naivety.

Marner is a wimp, he is a whiny wimp that got Babcock fired. He is a cry baby that can't handle when the going gets tough. He can just go and I will never again care about what he does anywhere.
Crying about the refs is only slightly less cringy than watching Marner attempt playoff hockey. That Kadri wasn't mentally strong enough to avoid the goading is why he got his pink slip. It doesn't matter which part of playoff hockey you can't hack, the pressure, the refs putting whistles away, or the physicality, if you can't handle it you're gone. Preaching accountability for players and then pointing to the one player who was held accountable as one of the GM's great mistakes tells me that you're not serious about accountability. Holding people accountable means holding the guys you love and the guys you hate to the same standard.

Saying Dubas never liked the guy is irrelevant speculation. There was nothing in Kadri's game that runs counter to Dubas's visions of NuHockey. Kadri got suspended in the playoffs again after leaving the Leafs before he finally figured it out, he was FIRED for hurting his team in the playoffs time after time after time.

I agree entirely about Marner. Like Kadri, he'll probably figure it out somewhere else, but as long as that somewhere else ain't here, I'm happy.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Crying about the refs is only slightly less cringy than watching Marner attempt playoff hockey. That Kadri wasn't mentally strong enough to avoid the goading is why he got his pink slip. It doesn't matter which part of playoff hockey you can't hack, the pressure, the refs putting whistles away, or the physicality, if you can't handle it you're gone. Preaching accountability for players and then pointing to the one player who was held accountable as one of the GM's great mistakes tells me that you're not serious about accountability. Holding people accountable means holding the guys you love and the guys you hate to the same standard.

Saying Dubas never liked the guy is irrelevant speculation. There was nothing in Kadri's game that runs counter to Dubas's visions of NuHockey. Kadri got suspended in the playoffs again after leaving the Leafs before he finally figured it out, he was FIRED for hurting his team in the playoffs time after time after time.

I agree entirely about Marner. Like Kadri, he'll probably figure it out somewhere else, but as long as that somewhere else ain't here, I'm happy.

No it's not. They were poorly officiated games and Kadri got mad. Bunting did the same. When something is what it is, it just is. It's not cringy to speak the truth and the idea of that is most cringy of all.

Look I have just had it with this team again. I hope we clear house and get competent people in. I am pretty ticked off at them not anyone here.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Your reply is no more convincing the second time than it was the first time.

Better than "pretty much anyone" is utterly meaningless. Name names if you think they signed the wrong guy. Who should they have acquired?

Two years is not a long-term commitment.
What is convincing is my post to like ratio then yours

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
No it's not. They were poorly officiated games and Kadri got mad. Bunting did the same. When something is what it is, it just is. It's not cringy to speak the truth and the idea of that is most cringy of all.
The NHL has been poorly officiating games for 100 years. Did Gilmour and Clark cry about the Gretzky high stick in '93? I'm sure they thought it was garbage, but they went back to the Conference Finals again the next year because they had guts and didn't make excuses for themselves. Blaming the refs is nothing more than an excuse, it doesn't matter how "true" it is. Liberties was the name of the game for decades, the "Broad Street Bullies" won cups. Kadri did the right thing to stand up for his teammates, we need more of that, but he still went to far. The mistake wasn't getting rid of Kadri, the mistake was not replacing him with someone who knew how to ride the line better than he did.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Personally, I think Dubas is an idiot. You'd be better off getting someone with way more analytical skills in there who didn't have ANY hockey experience. WHY would you hire someone so young without DIRECT experience in the NHL? Shanahan needs to be fired immediately.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Personally, I think Dubas is an idiot. You'd be better off getting someone with way more analytical skills in there who didn't have ANY hockey experience. WHY would you hire someone so young without DIRECT experience in the NHL? Shanahan needs to be fired immediately.

Ya I would fire him as well. I leave him out because he is in witness protection right now and nobody sees him. Out of sight out of mind on purpose no doubt.

Reactions: Leterman

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
All they had to do was make it a series and we wouldn’t be having these conversations. All Marner had to do was play half as well as he’s capable of and we wouldn’t be having these conversations.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I would be very surprised if Dubas is not back. There just isn’t enough time for what is coming.
It’s May now, on July 1st Matthews/Marner will join JT with a NMC. Nylander has a limited NTC kicking in.
There just isn’t enough time for someone new to come in, evaluate, decide on the core, go to the draft, etc etc.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think he will get a pay raise and stay with team as a special advisor but he won't be GM
I'd be surprised if his ego will allow that. IMO, he'll want to be in charge, if not here somewhere else.

IMO, he is extended and he removes Keefe.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
I'd add that being a GM requires a network across the entire league. Did Dubas have relationships established in NHL while being AGM in 2014-18, being age 28-32 during this period? I'm still shocked this wonderboy got hired. Is it any surprise he got smoked on so many deals?

Reactions: fahad203 and JKG33

horner

May 22, 2007
I want a gm that knows how to build a team.
His first mistake was signing JT.
We could have had 2 or 3 players with that money maybe another million
Two players that I wanted us to trade for

Bennett C 4.25 mil for 2 - 2nd rd pks
Nick Paul C/LW 3.1 mil for prospect + 4 th
Hyman L/Rw 5.5 mil I think we should have signed . I think he would have signed for less to stay here
Total = 12.85 mil

Also we had
McMann C 5 mil we kept Holl
Verhege LW 4.16 mil he was in our system

Bjorgstrand R/Lw 5.4 mil Was acquired for a 3rd + 4th

Could have signed a FA
Dylan Strome C 5 mil

Resign
ORielly C 5.5 mil
Accuri L/RW 1.3 mil

Knies RW .95 mil

Total = 40.36 mil

Without the core 4

You need a gm that knows how to build a team
A couch that knows how to coach

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I want a gm that knows how to build a team.
His first mistake was signing JT.
We could have had 2 or 3 players with that money maybe another million
Two players that I wanted us to trade for

Bennett C 4.25 mil for 2 - 2nd rd pks
Nick Paul C/LW 3.1 mil for prospect + 4 th
Hyman L/Rw 5.5 mil I think we should have signed . I think he would have signed for less to stay here
Total = 12.85 mil

Also we had
McMann C 5 mil we kept Holl
Verhege LW 4.16 mil he was in our system

Bjorgstrand R/Lw 5.4 mil Was acquired for a 3rd + 4th

Could have signed a FA
Dylan Strome C 5 mil

Resign
ORielly C 5.5 mil
Accuri L/RW 1.3 mil

Knies RW .95 mil

Total = 40.36 mil

Without the core 4

You need a gm that knows how to build a team
A couch that knows how to coach
Dubas cleared the decks in order to overpay 4 frauds that he bet everything on and it has blown up in his face in what will be 5 straight playoffs. Time to end this charade.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He. Paid. The. Players. He. Doubled. Down. On. The. Core.

Yes, Dubas did that. Fire him, now.
Your right.. he shouldn't have paid them... Instead of waiting on elite talent to mature... like Colorado, or Tampa, or Detroit in the past... he should have moved them all for more futures. Great move.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Dubas cleared the decks in order to overpay 4 frauds that he bet everything on and it has blown up in his face in what will be 5 straight playoffs. Time to end this charade.
So did he waste an elite young core and squander guaranteed cups or did he bet on duds?

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Your right.. he shouldn't have paid them... Instead of waiting on elite talent to mature... like Colorado, or Tampa, or Detroit in the past... he should have moved them all for more futures. Great move.
After the Montreal series, it was quite apparent this core was going nowhere and trades should have been made. And who said move them for futures? Not me.

horner

May 22, 2007
So did he waste an elite young core and squander guaranteed cups or did he bet on duds?
He wasted a young core by signing JT.
I never thought JT was elite he was a good players.
I also thought Lou caddled our young players to much bringing Marleau who I never liked even on SJ.

We let good veterans go for free
Matt Martin
Bozak
JVR

Now we have a soft team that doesn't fight for there teammate or puck.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Or maybe there's a middle ground and realizing you're not winning with this core and with this combination of 10 mill players, no matter how you try and pad the 3rd and 4th lines. Adjust the course - Dubas didn't and won't.

Reactions: horner and ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
At last count, he's won nothing and bled assets doing it. The cherry on top is if they are embarrassed tomorrow night by being swept. But hey, keep supporting a failure. Five unsuccessful attempts by Dubas to shuffle the deck chairs around this core is enough. It has not and will not work.

Last edited:

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
At last count, he's won nothing and bled assets doing it. The cherry on top is if they are embarrassed tomorrow night by being swept. But hey, keep supporting a failure. Five unsuccessful attempts by Dubas to shuffle the deck chairs around this core is enough. It has not and will not work.
Did we waste an elite young core and squander guaranteed cups, or did he bet on duds?

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Your reply is no more convincing the second time than it was the first time.

Better than "pretty much anyone" is utterly meaningless. Name names if you think they signed the wrong guy. Who should they have acquired?

Two years is not a long-term commitment.
Literally any goalie at league minimum would've been better than Murray at 4.7. Should've started the year with Kallgren or Woll and used the cap space elsewhere.

Literally any non negative use of cap space is better than Murray

Kadri and Hyman would be nice. If we had both of them on this team and ROR it'd probably be very different right now. Forget Mik, Brown and Kap has like a year left on the books. He's sucked mostly.
Ah yes, 50 point Kadri for $7m. What a positive addition he'd be

Reactions: horner

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
For Dubas, it almost feels like the goal was to win with this core, rather than win period.
Win with this core. And up until this year, his way with ultrasoft depth players he was acquiring and drafting.

I'll never get over picking Amirov over Schneider, and that's completely ignoring what eventually happened to Amirov. Mind blowing decision even on draft day

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad