Does dubas remain GM if the leafs get bounced by Florida?

Does dubas remain Leaf’s GM if Toronto loses out in rd 2 ?

• Yes

Votes: 172 34.6%
  • No

Votes: 239 48.1%
  • Depends how the leafs lose in rd 2

Votes: 86 17.3%

• Total voters

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Don’t know and don’t care, but pretty much anyone other than Murray at 4.7 mil caphit would have been better
He wasnt the only goalie to change teams and Ottawa did not retain enough to mitigate the risk attached. Murray hadn't been solid since 2018 but I think many of us hoped the club had information beyond the obvious which made it safer than we could see. This was a Hail Mary for the GM that didnt pan out. They would have been better off just extending Freddie and finding better guys to put in front of him.

Reactions: LeafEgo

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Like I said to you once before, wait until the playoffs are over whether it's 4 games or 21 and shut the hell up and let the rest of us enjoy whatever is left. I don't think we're coming back so go and gloat since you were one of the people cheering against any sort of success. I don't get the idea of cheering against the team just so you can enjoy being right to a bunch of randoms on the internet but have at it.
Man, do some yoga or something. Release the rage

• Haha
Reactions: Racer88 and ACC1224

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Like I said to you once before, wait until the playoffs are over whether it's 4 games or 21 and shut the hell up and let the rest of us enjoy whatever is left. I don't think we're coming back so go and gloat since you were one of the people cheering against any sort of success. I don't get the idea of cheering against the team just so you can enjoy being right to a bunch of randoms on the internet but have at it.
Please point to any post I ever made where I cheered against the team. Hint: You won't find one.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Don’t know and don’t care, but pretty much anyone other than Murray at 4.7 mil caphit would have been better
He ducked out on the other guy that went to Edmonton and didn't sign him long-term, though.

There really weren't a lot of good goaltending options out there, and those that seemed good really weren't. Husso. Talbot. Campbell. Georgiev. Fool's Gold, all of them.

At least with these two there was no acquisition cost and no long-term commitment.

Reactions: Menzinger

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
He ducked out on the other guy that went to Edmonton and didn't sign him long-term, though.

There really weren't a lot of good goaltending options out there, and those that seemed good really weren't. Husso. Talbot. Campbell. Georgiev. Fool's Gold, all of them.

At least with these two there was no acquisition cost and no long-term commitment.
I’ll repeat myself, 4.7 million cap space was more valuable then the acquisition cost

Reactions: JKG33

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Which in the worst case scenario his contract ends at the end of next season and you let him walk. No long term damage. Its not like we're stuck with him for several more years. If not Murray then who available would you have signed to be Leafs goalie last year?
Dubas was supposed to be "all in" this year and he wasted $4.68M cap space on Matt Murray.

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
As we've seen this isn't true at all. Marner, Matthews and Nylander aren't getting it done now even with all the help they're getting. No reason to believe that in the absence of Tavares that they would be even better than what they've shown so far in the playoffs. Also Rielly has only looked really good in the playoffs this year and perhaps last season. He hasn't looked like a number one Dman for much of the regular season and in previous playoff seasons.

As for Kadri he was good while he was here, but offensively he was never putting up star level numbers. With the Avs he really only had one very good season which he then converted into a nice payday and then went back to his career average in points in his first season with the Flames.

Only speculation as to whether Tavares' contract pushed Marner and Matthews contract higher rather than being what they would've asked for regardless. Also before Tavares many Leafs fans were hoping Stamkos would sign here when he became a free agent and Leafs management made a pitch for him as well so its not like this is the first time the Leafs organization wanted to sign a major star when they became available.

Also isn't apart of the reason why players sometimes want more when signing with Canadian teams is because of taxes? What Stamkos, Kucherov and Point signed for in Tampa would they sign for that same amount to play for Toronto if they were available? Probably not because of taxes and they'd want more to compensate.

I don't see Tavares as an 'all in', but rather a significant addition to becoming a playoff contender. Matthews and Tavares down the middle. Who would say that was a bad thing? He was brought in to add experience as well as improving the Leafs offense and Its worked well over the years, just not as well as Leafs fans had hoped when it comes to playoff results.

Turn back the clock and say the Leafs don't go after Tavares. Hard to say with that Tavares cap space if the players they sign would be as good or better than signing Tavares with that money.
I would take Kadri, Hyman, Brown/Kap/Mikheyev and that first they lost when they had to dump Marleau cause Dufus rushed the rebuild and signed no heart Tavares.

Mar 26, 2010
With the way things are here and the sweep inevitable, good chance Dubas could be out.

Reactions: Leterman

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I would take Kadri, Hyman, Brown/Kap/Mikheyev and that first they lost when they had to dump Marleau cause Dufus rushed the rebuild and signed no heart Tavares.

Kadri and Hyman would be nice. If we had both of them on this team and ROR it'd probably be very different right now. Forget Mik, Brown and Kap has like a year left on the books. He's sucked mostly.

HandshakeLineRespect

Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
Kadri and Hyman would be nice. If we had both of them on this team and ROR it'd probably be very different right now. Forget Mik, Brown and Kap has like a year left on the books. He's sucked mostly.
Yea, just sayin. Probably another handful of players in that bottom tier they could have kept too. Just making the point that once they signed gud pro tavares the bloodletting of depth began.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Yea, just sayin. Probably another handful of players in that bottom tier they could have kept too. Just making the point that once they signed gud pro tavares the bloodletting of depth began.

I hear ya. If we trade Matthews and Marner or either or, we'll be doing some serious dumpster diving. ROR would be a good get though.

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
Pittsburgh Penguins Could Have Great Interest in Kyle Dubas - The Hockey News

With the Toronto Maple Leafs a game away from being swept out of the second round of the playoffs, the rumors have already boiled again regarding the Pittsburgh Penguins and Kyle Dubas.

The Penguins and Fenway Sports Group (FSG) are searching for a new front office staff following the firing of Ron Hextall, Brian Burke, and Chris Pryor.

If Dubas is on his way out of Toronto, there is no reason why he shouldn’t be first on every team’s list for a new general manager.

Elliotte Friedman of the 32 Thoughts Podcast stated that the Penguins are still in the early phases of the search, but might have their sights set on Dubas.

“I think they are potentially interested in waiting to see what happens with Dubas in Toronto,” Friedman said. “We’re not sure how many people Pittsburgh will be hiring or what the structure will be.”

Friedman doesn’t believe the Penguins are close to making an announcement, but if Dubas is on their radar, interviews might start soon.

The Maple Leafs are down 3-0 in their series with the Florida Panthers and that might spell the end of Dubas in Toronto.

Something the Penguins have that most teams searching for a new face don’t, is the ability to give Dubas more than just a role as general manager.

FSG and the Penguins can hand Dubas the keys to the castle and make him general manager as well as president of hockey operations.

Seems like FSG don't know what they're doing.

Hope sid loves playing for Keefe next year

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Good ridden's Dubas. Dubas isn't some boy genius.... There are plenty of teams using analytics. He made many mistakes that show incompetence and immaturity. The fact that he hired a green rookie coach is proof that he has no idea what he's doing and obviously had an inflated ego.

Bill Zito, Florida's gm was a masterful hire by Florida and is a great comparison. Zito played college hockey at Yale, got a law degree, was a player agent, and then made his way up the ranks I'm the NHL and was known got his analytical scouting and his contracts at the nhl level. As an agent he represented top players Tim Thomas, Rask, Rafalski, Timonen and John Madden. Someone who played the sport, someone who has experience negotiating top player contracts, someone with top notch education, someone older mid 50's and more experienced, someone with a track record and relationships at the NHL level. Zito didn't go out and hire a young green coach, he hired one of the most experienced coaches in P.Maurice. Zito picked up Bennett, Verhaeghe, Marchment, Montour on the cheap and masterfully traded for Tkatchuk for his aged veterans who would be looking for retirement contracts. He signed Tkatchuk to a 8 year 9.5 million dollar contract.

Shanahan watched MoneyBall a few too many times before sitting down with Dubas and though he met his Peter Brand.
All this greatness from Bill Zito and yet his team barely made it into the playoffs by a single point over the Pens and Sabres. Would you be saying the same things about him if they had missed the playoffs? Good for him that his team is having playoff success right now, but lets not pretend that his team was doing very good for much of the season and the Flames who missed the playoffs actually finished with one more point than the Panthers and yet they're out.

With Tkachuk signing at that price isn't that because of Florida? Would he sign at 9.5 elsewhere with a higher tax rate? Good for him for getting Verhaeghe, but it took him forever to develop and start putting up points as he's been doing with the Panthers. 8 years from the time he was drafted until he signed with the Panthers and started putting up points. Marchment one good year with Florida and playing OK after signing with Dallas. Montour looking OK, but not great with the Sabres so good for him with his improvement with the Panthers.

Right now Bob who had looked like garbage for much of his time with the Panthers suddenly looks good and his team while playing well is pretty far from being unbeatable. If any of the Leafs stars had shown up for even a little bit this could easily be 2-1 or 3-0 for the Leafs right now.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Marleau was signed by Lou so blame him for that mistake. Same with getting Martin and signing Zaitev to that horrible deal. Also did you already forget that Mik and Kapanen had been pretty underwhelming while they were here and you want them BACK? OK. :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

Dubas was supposed to be "all in" this year and he wasted $4.68M cap space on Matt Murray.
So which goalie was available and affordable at around Murray's price that Dubas could've gone for?

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
All this greatness from Bill Zito and yet his team barely made it into the playoffs by a single point over the Pens and Sabres. Would you be saying the same things about him if they had missed the playoffs? Good for him that his team is having playoff success right now, but lets not pretend that his team was doing very good for much of the season and the Flames who missed the playoffs actually finished with one more point than the Panthers and yet they're out.

With Tkachuk signing at that price isn't that because of Florida? Would he sign at 9.5 elsewhere with a higher tax rate? Good for him for getting Verhaeghe, but it took him forever to develop and start putting up points as he's been doing with the Panthers. 8 years from the time he was drafted until he signed with the Panthers and started putting up points. Marchment one good year with Florida and playing OK after signing with Dallas. Montour looking OK, but not great with the Sabres so good for him with his improvement with the Panthers.

Right now Bob who had looked like garbage for much of his time with the Panthers suddenly looks good and his team while playing well is pretty far from being unbeatable. If any of the Leafs stars had shown up for even a little bit this could easily be 2-1 or 3-0 for the Leafs right now.
Florida didn't draft and develop Verhaeghe so why would they care how long it has taken him to develop. All they care about is getting value for the period of time he is under contract to them, so far so good on that front.

Florida didn't think there was value in resigning him to the contract he signed with Dallas. Montour is having a career season with Florida. All examples would point to Zito doing a good job, I don't think that was what you were trying to say was it?

HandshakeLineRespect

Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
Marleau was signed by Lou so blame him for that mistake. Same with getting Martin and signing Zaitev to that horrible deal. Also did you already forget that Mik and Kapanen had been pretty underwhelming while they were here and you want them BACK? OK. :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

So which goalie was available and affordable at around Murray's price that Dubas could've gone for?
Its quite obvious you didnt comprehend the point i was making. Dufas lovers still using that Zaitsev excuse hahahaha

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021

You realize we did the exact same thing Dubas's second year right?

Except that we got pumped in the 8/9 playin game

He had the balls to shake up the team after a year of playoff embarrassment took them a bit to adjust but working out for him now.

Could easily be 2-1 leafs this series but it also could have easily ended 4-1 lightning last series it all kinda evens out

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018

Here you can take a look at the current cap hits for goalies in the league, as far as who was available. Since I am not hockey executive currently employed in the NHL, I don't know the full list of players available (trade targets).

Reactions: hockeywiz542

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
Pittsburgh Penguins Could Have Great Interest in Kyle Dubas - The Hockey News

With the Toronto Maple Leafs a game away from being swept out of the second round of the playoffs, the rumors have already boiled again regarding the Pittsburgh Penguins and Kyle Dubas.

The Penguins and Fenway Sports Group (FSG) are searching for a new front office staff following the firing of Ron Hextall, Brian Burke, and Chris Pryor.

If Dubas is on his way out of Toronto, there is no reason why he shouldn’t be first on every team’s list for a new general manager.

Elliotte Friedman of the 32 Thoughts Podcast stated that the Penguins are still in the early phases of the search, but might have their sights set on Dubas.

“I think they are potentially interested in waiting to see what happens with Dubas in Toronto,” Friedman said. “We’re not sure how many people Pittsburgh will be hiring or what the structure will be.”

Friedman doesn’t believe the Penguins are close to making an announcement, but if Dubas is on their radar, interviews might start soon.

The Maple Leafs are down 3-0 in their series with the Florida Panthers and that might spell the end of Dubas in Toronto.

Something the Penguins have that most teams searching for a new face don’t, is the ability to give Dubas more than just a role as general manager.

FSG and the Penguins can hand Dubas the keys to the castle and make him general manager as well as president of hockey operations.
Hope so, one less team to worry about. Give him 18 months.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Not sure about long term commitment. Murray eats up 2 years at a stout cap pct and gives nothing. This is money for O'Reilly next year. $9M over 2 years is a big number with a club trying to deal with Tavares and still resign Wilie and AM.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I’ll repeat myself, 4.7 million cap space was more valuable then the acquisition cost
Your reply is no more convincing the second time than it was the first time.

Better than "pretty much anyone" is utterly meaningless. Name names if you think they signed the wrong guy. Who should they have acquired?

Not sure about long term commitment. Murray eats up 2 years at a stout cap pct and gives nothing. This is money for O'Reilly next year. $9M over 2 years is a big number with a club trying to deal with Tavares and still resign Wilie and AM.
Two years is not a long-term commitment.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I think it's funny when people he say he got everything handed to him on a platter but then blame those same players for no showing when it matters. He got handed a flawed core, no GM was going to make these guys win in the playoffs.
Well, some of us were smart enough to see that years ago. Maybe our gm should have been that smart as well. To me, it was clearly obvious after game 5 vs Columbus. You think our core 4 didn't show up last game against Florida? Well, go watch that Columbus game 5 again. As you watch, ask yourself this question: "Are the core 4 intentionally losing this game." I swear to god you'll come out of the game undecided. They were that bad.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
That we're still bringing up Kadri is part of the problem. Kadri was fired because he kept getting suspended in the playoffs. Accountability for players is exactly what we want and need for htis core now. Matthews, Marner, and Dubas have all failed to deliver and the pink slips are going to start coming out because just like Kadri, they can't get it done here.

People are going to moan in a few years about Marner's success and how could we have possibly let him go? His ass is grass, it doesn't matter if we lose the trade and he finds success elsewhere, he couldn't do it here. It sucks that we lost the Kadri trade so badly, but that trade is legitimately the lesson that whoever the hell our GM this summer is needs to pull on and have the guts to move a core piece and fan favourite in order to implement serious change.

Reactions: Leterman

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
That we're still bringing up Kadri is part of the problem. Kadri was fired because he kept getting suspended in the playoffs. Accountability for players is exactly what we want and need for htis core now. Matthews, Marner, and Dubas have all failed to deliver and the pink slips are going to start coming out because just like Kadri, they can't get it done here.

People are going to moan in a few years about Marner's success and how could we have possibly let him go? His ass is grass, it doesn't matter if we lose the trade and he finds success elsewhere, he couldn't do it here. It sucks that we lost the Kadri trade so badly, but that trade is legitimately the lesson that Dubas needs to pull on right now to have the guts to move a core piece and fan favourite in order to implement serious change.

Kadri and the whole Leafs team got screwed by Refs that absolutely 100% had an agenda in mind. They let everyone take liberties, real liberties on us until someone snapped and did that. It was just Kadri that got goaded into it.

Dubas never liked the guy, he wanted NuHockey which is the trash all the little fairy fans around here raved about and blinked about at with wide eyes of naivety.

Marner is a wimp, he is a whiny wimp that got Babcock fired. He is a cry baby that can't handle when the going gets tough. He can just go and I will never again care about what he does anywhere.

• Haha
Reactions: baton elevated

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad