Does dubas remain GM if the leafs get bounced by Florida?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Does dubas remain Leaf’s GM if Toronto loses out in rd 2 ?

• Yes

Votes: 172 34.6%
  • No

Votes: 239 48.1%
  • Depends how the leafs lose in rd 2

Votes: 86 17.3%

• Total voters

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
The point I'm making is we know the leafs don't have an impressive defense. They don't have good goaltending.

What has dubas done? Schenn and Murray. That is 100% not going to move the needle.

I don't know why you're comparing a deep 7th round pick that has luckily panned out for Edmonton Schenn. I agree I'd like Schenn as well over desharnais.

I'd much rather have ekholm to add to the team. Easily him or chychurn were the top dmen available. What was done to improve the goaltending?

Dubas was gifted marner, Matthews, Nylander. Tavares wanted to come to toronto. I'd say your forwards are at a good starting point improve the defense massively and he didn't.

Defence: Muzzin Brodie McCabe Liljegren Giordano Sandin Niemela oh and Schenn. Also signed Rielly to great deal.

Goalie: Franchise goalie Samsonov Woll and a bunch of good goalie prospects.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
If Dubas has done all he can and these are the results then he deserves to go. Yes, it's on the players not showing up but it's been obvious for a while that this core is not going to get it done. Dubas has done nothing to fix that. You can't put lipstick on a pig and call it a beauty pageant winner.
Again that's why Dubas made the deadline moves that he did in bringing in more experience, leadership and toughness because he believed that that's what this core needed to boost them and get them to perform better. Now he knows that this isn't enough and that a major change or two is probably needed to really try and fix things.

This core is young so I don't you wouldn't have given them at least one more chance before deciding to blow things up. Now that they've been given that chance and if they fail then making major changes should definitely be an option if not absolutely necessary.

Kanedogg

Apr 23, 2023
Defence: Muzzin Brodie McCabe Liljegren Giordano Sandin Niemela oh and Schenn. Also signed Rielly to great deal.

Goalie: Franchise goalie Samsonov Woll and a bunch of good goalie prospects.

It's subjective but none of those dmen moves the needle. Schenn has been ok. Ekholm was the marquee free agent this deadline. If dubas is such a good gm why didn't he use his first round pick for someone with first round value like ekholm?

Did the leafs need oreilly? They did the same thing with folgino and that didn't work either which raises more issues with dubas.

As for the goaltending his big move was to acquire an injured unplayable Murray who's under term next year.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
It's subjective but none of those dmen moves the needle. Schenn has been ok. Ekholm was the marquee free agent this deadline. If dubas is such a good gm why didn't he use his first round pick for someone with first round value like ekholm?

Did the leafs need oreilly? They did the same thing with folgino and that didn't work either which raises more issues with dubas.

As for the goaltending his big move was to acquire an injured unplayable Murray who's under term next year.
Cap for 1. Ekholm is basically equivalent to Brodie.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Leaffan197703

May 29, 2021
Dubas did a good job it was the coach who kept being the second best coach in the series is what sank toronto. A legitimate coach probably would have defeated florida in 5 to 6 games

Kanedogg

Apr 23, 2023
Cap for 1. Ekholm is basically equivalent to Brodie.

Yes cap but you get what you paid for hence why leafs just don't have the assets/space for an ekholm.

Also who messed up their cap situation? Why gave away all the first round picks for Marleau trades, foligno and now oreilly?

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Dubas did a good job it was the coach who kept being the second best coach in the series is what sank toronto. A legitimate coach probably would have defeated florida in 5 to 6 games
This is the same team that gave up on Babcock too. It’s rotten from top to bottom. IMO

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
And who's fault is it that the cap is a mess? Oh, right...

So we should move on from a talented GM bc of mistakes made his first year as NHL GM? If you think he will repeat them, sure move on.

If he's a talented GM and you think hes learned from those mistakes, you keep him. You don't let talent walk out the door. Period.

Personally I think he will be a great GM in NHL for decades and we will all hate it when that happens. He will win a cup one day, hopefully for the Leafs.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
So we should move on from a talented GM bc of mistakes made his first year as NHL GM? If you think he will repeat them, sure move on.

If he's a talented GM and you think hes learned from those mistakes, you keep him. You don't let talent walk out the door. Period.

Personally I think he will be a great GM in NHL for decades and we will all hate it when that happens. He will win a cup one day, hopefully for the Leafs.

He totally nuked our team from a flawed philosophy that he abandoned. He also kept us with and incompetent coach and in a situation we are backed against the wall with star players. He is like the biggest failure I have ever seen in my life outside that AZ guy and you think he is awesome.

I don't get it

I can't blame Dubas for the cap too much coz of covid shock.
There was a financial crisis brewing. If they had good advisors they would have told them that tough times were ahead and the cap may stall. I remember that because during negotiations I mentioned that based off some articles I had read. Covid just hastened it and made it worse.

Reactions: myleafs

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
He totally nuked our team from a flawed philosophy that he abandoned. He also kept us with and incompetent coach and in a situation we are backed against the wall with star players. He is like the biggest failure I have ever seen in my life outside that AZ guy and you think he is awesome.

I don't get it
It was a bad plan. It was also his first year in the NHL as GM too. I think that should be taken into consideration.

Since then he signs players well, attracts talented players, drafts well, trades well. Admits and moves on from bad signings.

Since the first year, he's done well.

Agree that the coach needs a new home.

Kanedogg

Apr 23, 2023

He traded a first rounder for Marleau then he did it again with mrazak.

Then he did it again for foligno no term grit experience rental then he's done it again for oreilly.

This isn't someone who is learning from mistakes.

I don't get it

There was a financial crisis brewing. If they had good advisors they would have told them that tough times were ahead and the cap may stall. I remember that because during negotiations I mentioned that based off some articles I had read. Covid just hastened it and made it worse.

Yeah he trotted out his arrogant "we can and we will" which has reached meme status.

He refuses to realize that he was wrong. He should just have taken the l and admit about 10 million for the offensive core should have been used on a stud #1 dman instead.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
He traded a first rounder for Marleau then he did it again with mrazak.

Then he did it again for foligno no term grit experience rental then he's done it again for oreilly.

This isn't someone who is learning from mistakes.
Marleau traded with a 1st and Kapanen traded for a 1st.

Oreilly traded for a 1st, Sandin traded for a 1st.

2023 and 2021 they were clearly going for it. Most GMs make those types of trade when going for it.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg

You keep referencing this talented GM in a thread about Dubas.

He's shown 0 indication to prove he's anything above mediocre at best.

He inherited a core that had the potential to be great, failed to identify that it wasn't and continued to double down.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
You keep referencing this talented GM in a thread about Dubas.

He's shown 0 indication to prove he's anything above mediocre at best.

He inherited a core that had the potential to be great, failed to identify that it wasn't and continued to double down.
If you don't think so that's fine. I think he's a talented GM amd will win a cup one day.

I think he's learned from his first year. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I like the approach the organization takes in terms of development, trades, signings, drafting, use of analytics, etc.

digger1188

Oct 13, 2020
Scotty Bowman couldn’t have made the Leafs top players be willing to throw, and take body checks to make plays. Marner gets a bit of a mulligan, because he’s a munchkin, but there’s zero excuse for guys like Matthews, Nylander, Tavares, etc. to be constantly choosing fly byes, instead of finishing their checks. Not only do these guys constantly pass up on finishing checks, they constantly give up on opportunities to come up with loose pucks, because they’re afraid to be hit. The leafs best players are comfortable on the perimeter, they are lost in the areas you need to get tough in to win playoff hockey games. Ryan O’Reilly really wasn’t the best example to be bringing into that room either. The guy is a perennial lady bing trophy winner, and doesn’t exactly use his big frame to punish anyone. That being said, I thought he’d at least bring a defensive responsibility mindset to the group, and be good in the faceoff circle. Neither of those things has occurred. In fact, he’s actually been more of a defensive liability out there, with how slow he gets around. The bottom line is the leafs best players are too soft mentally to be successful in the playoffs. Dubas has had plenty of time to recognize that, and he’s stubbornly worn rose coloured glasses instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: myleafs

Mopar

May 3, 2021
Conference final appearance and it's a discussion on whether you extend him or not. Like a 50/50.

Cup final or Cup win and you extend him.

Anything less? Fired.

He's had his chance. If they lose this round he's gotta go. His time is up.

It's a results league.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Conference final appearance and it's a discussion on whether you extend him or not. Like a 50/50.

Cup final or Cup win and you extend him.

Anything less? Fired.

He's had his chance. If they lose this round he's gotta go. His time is up.

It's a results league.
Shanny needs to go to but still under contract so he likely stays

Last edited:
Reactions: HolyCrap

digger1188

Oct 13, 2020
The scary part is there are wicked fast teams like New Jersey and Ottawa who are only getting better with experience. Detroit and Buffalo are also on the rise in a hurry. Things are not going to get easier anytime soon for the Leafs. Do I think the Leafs need to go into a total rebuild? No, but they better start thinking about swapping out a couple of their big money guys for some quality youth if they hope to keep up with what’s going on around them. Even Montreal has to be viewed as a team with the potential to eventually pass Toronto in the power rankings if things stay stagnant for too long.

Last edited:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I cannot fathom how "many" of your Leafs fans still defend tour GM Dubas.

If there wasnt money ball, this kid would have never gotten that SOO GM first place, not to mention AHL/NHL job.

He hired his buddy from SOO, dead give away, deaaaad give away..

Signed the biggest fish of the free agency just because he wanted to impress everyone. - but Leafs didnt need another center, center position was your strength

That was the signing thar ruined everything, it created bad blood among players, core players was displeased.

Then more shit started to hit the fence, the whole Nylander saga,then followed the over paying your top guys, making the cap control impossible, that effects you guys even today so hard.

Constantly brings in the wrong players and lets go the right players. Dubas also seems to brake under fan pressure as well; maybe thats the biggest reason why he makes such bad decisions, or... he just sucks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad