Does dubas remain GM if the leafs get bounced by Florida?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Does dubas remain Leaf’s GM if Toronto loses out in rd 2 ?

• Yes

Votes: 172 34.6%
  • No

Votes: 239 48.1%
  • Depends how the leafs lose in rd 2

Votes: 86 17.3%

• Total voters

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Were we lucky to win round one? :huh:
This was a much inferior TB club to the one they met last year so not luck I think. Just less of an accomplishment then we maybe thought. The goalies are not quite as good as some believed and I think Matthews may be playing hurt. That and I don't think Keefe is a very good coach. The Leafs have not played Leaf hockey against Florida yet. You can't win playing the other team's game and its the coach who adapts the team's strategy when things aren't working.

Last edited:

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Do we need a fresh set of eyes to determine if we should continue building around Auston Matthews knowing his big game shortcomings?
Do we have time for that? Doesn’t his no trade clause or whatever start after draft? If we don’t trade him we could lose him for almost nothing.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He should not even be allowed to get on the charter flight back to Toronto after Wednesday but I’m betting Shanny will give him a contract so we can run it all back again and waste another year

A good owner would intervene and fire the lot of them tbh. If it were my time they were gone long ago, but right now is good justification. Then get some vet GM to restructure and make the trades that need done.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
By they you mean Samsonov saved them right?

We’re literally losing this Florida series because matthews has disappeared and marner is playing for Florida
That's why Dubas brought in the guys that he did to try and give them some backbone and leadership. It worked alright in the 1st round and so far in the 2nd round it hasn't been as successful, but I don't know why that would be on Dubas when he's done about as much as he can to put a team on the ice that can compete in the playoffs.

This is on the players and they aren't getting it done. If these moves can't make a difference, then I doubt getting a Meier or Chychrun or anyone else would make a difference either. Our stars aren't showing up and they haven't been anywhere near clutch as they were in the 1st round. Can't blame the GM for the Leafs best players mostly not showing up in this series so far.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
TBH Dubas cut his teeth here and there were going to be mistakes. He's going to be a top GM in the league whether it's here or elsewhere.

MLSE would be stupid to not identify he is a talented GM. Best we've had and will have.

Keefe and Tavares and Murray gone would do wonders for this roster. A coach who doesn't get out coached, cap room to insulate the stars and eliminate pressure will make this team better.

Hopefully MLSE is smart to figure out what the problems are and what the problems aren't.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
That's why Dubas brought in the guys that he did to try and give them some backbone and leadership. It worked alright in the 1st round and so far in the 2nd round it hasn't been as successful, but I don't know why that would be on Dubas when he's done about as much as he can to put a team on the ice that can compete in the playoffs.

This is on the players and they aren't getting it done. If these moves can't make a difference, then I doubt getting a Meier or Chychrun or anyone else would make a difference either. Our stars aren't showing up and they haven't been anywhere near clutch as they were in the 1st round. Can't blame the GM for the Leafs best players mostly not showing up in this series so far.
100% agree it’s on the players but after year after year of losing with similar performances he unconditionally backed them.
Brought in help this year to make a run and the big boys are why we’re losing
Samsonov good in round 1 but cause us some losses in round two. This years questionable goaltending decision does not help dubas staying on

I can def finger point Samsonov and marner as the main reasons were here

dalewood12

Oct 9, 2017
If it's a sweep, yes. Unless the Cats absolutely railroad the CF and SC opponents and win the Cup.

If it's not a sweep, then no.

• Haha
Reactions: Bomber0104

digger1188

Oct 13, 2020
Do we need a fresh set of eyes to determine if we should continue building around Auston Matthews knowing his big game shortcomings?
I honestly think Matthews is the one who needs to be moved on from the most. I don’t even think he’s interested in re-signing anyway. You could get a major haul and reset the entire franchise with that one move. He may go on to score 60 in the regular season after you trade him, but the bigger picture is he’s never going to will a team to playoff victories with leading by example type of efforts. The problem with the leafs top forwards is that they are comfortable on the perimeter, and lost everywhere else. They are not willing to get in the trenches to win.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
TBH Dubas cut his teeth here and there were going to be mistakes. He's going to be a top GM in the league whether it's here or elsewhere.

MLSE would be stupid to not identify he is a talented GM. Best we've had and will have.

Keefe and Tavares and Murray gone would do wonders for this roster. A coach who doesn't get out coached, cap room to insulate the stars and eliminate pressure will make this team better.

Hopefully MLSE is smart to figure out what the problems are and what the problems aren't.
What else that would elevate this team would be stars that show up when it matters.
As far as getting rid of Murray and Tavares this “top GM” is the reason they are here in the first place

Mar 26, 2010
Leafs got swept. MLSE should clear the slate clean. It starts with Shanahan, he has to go.

Lots of denial in here, but this team is officially going into rebuild mode. Matthews and Nylander will both be traded after they refuse to re-sign (same as Tkachuk did to Calgary). ROR is a UFA, and 100% going to walk.

this team is a hot mess. What a f***ing disaster Dubas has left this team in by trading all the draft picks. Dubas needs to be fired.

digger1188

Oct 13, 2020

Yes you absolutely can blame Dubas for his top players not showing up. He’s the one who has adamantly stuck with this core group, even after going through multiple playoff disappearances already! He gambled on the same losing hand repeatedly.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Yes you absolutely can blame Dubas for his top players not showing up. He’s the one who has adamantly stuck with this core group, even after going through multiple playoff disappearances already! He gambled on the same losing hand repeatedly.
I always thought a weatherman was the only job where you can be constantly wrong but still have a job.

Turns out you can add Toronto Maple Leafs GM to that list

Reactions: digger1188

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach

Only Leafs fans think Kyle Dubas is a "top GM in the league." Watch other teams in these playoffs, most of them are constructed better than we are to win a Cup. Does that mean all of those GMs are "top GMs in the league" too?

If I were a fan of a rival team, I would pray that the Leafs kept buying into the narrative that Dubas is somehow smart despite his consistent failures.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I honestly think Matthews is the one who needs to be moved on from the most. I don’t even think he’s interested in re-signing anyway. You could get a major haul and reset the entire franchise with that one move. He may go on to score 60 in the regular season after you trade him, but the bigger picture is he’s never going to will a team to playoff victories with leading by example type of efforts. The problem with the leafs top forwards is that they are comfortable on the perimeter, and lost everywhere else. They are not willing to get in the trenches to win.

I'm not saying you're wrong... I could go either way on this one, but I see what you mean.

Matthews is a flawed player. I don't think he's a big game player like Steven Stamkos isn't a big game player, etc. and if we can re-sign him, there's some merit to walking away from it.

But I could also see a scenario where a revamped Big 4 where Tavares and Marner are gone for example and 2x-3x other big game players, power forward types are brought in and that can be a better playoff contender with Matthews involved.

On the other hand, I'm not interested in a Matthews trade but we continue with Tavares, Marner and Nylander. Under that scenario, I'd just be rid of Marner and Tavares as well. Nylander isn't that big of a fish and if he's kept, no biggie.

Kanedogg

Apr 23, 2023
Only Leafs fans think Kyle Dubas is a "top GM in the league." Watch other teams in these playoffs, most of them are constructed better than we are to win a Cup. Does that mean all of those GMs are "top GMs in the league" too?

If I were a fan of a rival team, I would pray that the Leafs kept buying into the narrative that Dubas is somehow smart despite his consistent failures.
I'd agree. I'm looking at Edmonton and I'm critical of Ken Holland and some of his contracts like Darnell nurse.

But he got ekholm a true top pairing dman. Proper shut down dman. It's what Edmonton needed and cost a first round pick.

Dubas gave up a first rounder to get rid of Marleau. He gave another first rounder for muzzin. The big leaf defense acquisition is Schenn. I wouldn't be happy if some of the name floated like Schenn and Edmundson were on the Oilers.

What has he done to improve the goaltending? A washed up Matt Murray?

Don't see anything amazing dubas has done aside being blessed with a good offensive core from draft position.

You're right, rest of league isn't impressed by dubas. He can wear those silly "I wanna look smart" glasses all he wants for when the camera is on him. Doesn't mean he is smart.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
What else that would elevate this team would be stars that show up when it matters.
As far as getting rid of Murray and Tavares this “top GM” is the reason they are here in the first place
Yes there were mistakes I agree.

The big 3x11m signings handcuffed this team and he 100% needs to own that. Dubas tried to supplement with bargain bin deals and it didnt work.

At the end of the day Dubas ultimate mistake was in his first year as GM in the NHL. Should we fire a talented GM (if we think this) because he made a rookie mistake, especially if he looks like a great GM after the fact ever since.

Hes made similar bets that all GMs do. He's been able to find great cheap deals and get out of bad signings. Looks like he drafts well and his contract signings have gotten better.

Do I think he's learned from his 5 years as GM and will be better for it? Absolutely. Hes going to GM a team to Stanley Cup. That's how it looks to me.

• Haha
Reactions: IceBoxHockey

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I'd agree. I'm looking at Edmonton and I'm critical of Ken Holland and some of his contracts like Darnell nurse.

But he got ekholm a true top pairing dman. Proper shut down dman. It's what Edmonton needed and cost a first round pick.

Dubas gave up a first rounder to get rid of Marleau. He gave another first rounder for muzzin. The big leaf defense acquisition is Schenn. I wouldn't be happy if some of the name floated like Schenn and Edmundson were on the Oilers.

What has he done to improve the goaltending? A washed up Matt Murray?

Don't see anything amazing dubas has done aside being blessed with a good offensive core from draft position.

You're right, rest of league isn't impressed by dubas. He can wear those silly "I wanna look smart" glasses all he wants for when the camera is on him. Doesn't mean he is smart.
You are right, but IMO for the wrong reasons

Muzzin was a good trade. Schenn played with hedman on their bubble cup, he’s a good move. I’d take him over desharnais if I was an oilers fan. We needed McCabe to be peak muzzin and Brodie to not be a turd. Those are looking like bad moves. Marleau was a bad move. Kadri was a terrible move. Holl over McCann was a terrible move. Johnson for Andersen was a terrible move.

JT was a bad signing, not needed. Brodie was alright but has not been worth his contract save year 1 maybe. Mrazek was a failure. Murray was atrocious

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
I don't see a problem with Dubas standing behind the core and thinking that these young stars can mature and become even better. These guys are all in their mid 20s so its not like they're nearing the end of their primes or something.

However now that he's put his trust in the core and it hasn't turned out well outside of a 1st round win, if he does re-sign and stay then Dubas should really look at shaking up the core and making a big move. Don't know how you can say you believe in this core yet again after potentially getting swept by the Panthers who you should be doing much better against.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Oh…hey there.

IMG_5965.jpeg

Reactions: PromisedLand

Mr. Fancy Pants

Sep 20, 2002
Gifu
Visit site

If Dubas has done all he can and these are the results then he deserves to go. Yes, it's on the players not showing up but it's been obvious for a while that this core is not going to get it done. Dubas has done nothing to fix that. You can't put lipstick on a pig and call it a beauty pageant winner.

Kanedogg

Apr 23, 2023
You are right, but IMO for the wrong reasons

Muzzin was a good trade. Schenn played with hedman on their bubble cup, he’s a good move. I’d take him over desharnais if I was an oilers fan. We needed McCabe to be peak muzzin and Brodie to not be a turd. Those are looking like bad moves. Marleau was a bad move. Kadri was a terrible move. Holl over McCann was a terrible move. Johnson for Andersen was a terrible move.

JT was a bad signing, not needed. Brodie was alright but has not been worth his contract save year 1 maybe. Mrazek was a failure. Murray was atrocious

The point I'm making is we know the leafs don't have an impressive defense. They don't have good goaltending.

What has dubas done? Schenn and Murray. That is 100% not going to move the needle.

I don't know why you're comparing a deep 7th round pick that has luckily panned out for Edmonton Schenn. I agree I'd like Schenn as well over desharnais.

I'd much rather have ekholm to add to the team. Easily him or chychurn were the top dmen available. What was done to improve the goaltending?

Dubas was gifted marner, Matthews, Nylander. Tavares wanted to come to toronto. I'd say your forwards are at a good starting point improve the defense massively and he didn't.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad