Does dubas remain GM if the leafs get bounced by Florida?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Does dubas remain Leaf’s GM if Toronto loses out in rd 2 ?

• Yes

Votes: 172 34.6%
  • No

Votes: 239 48.1%
  • Depends how the leafs lose in rd 2

Votes: 86 17.3%

• Total voters

digger1188

Oct 13, 2020
I don’t think he should be back. He’s assembled a great EA sports roster. Problem is the core group he’s put his job on the line to stick with have proven once again that they aren’t willing to be as physical you need to be in the playoffs to win.

Florida knows they aren’t going to get hit out there. They’re outworking the Leafs all over the ice. Much in the same fashion as Tampa did, but it got overshadowed by a lot of lucky bounces that went the Leafs way. In my opinion the Leafs are as far in the playoffs as this manager, and core group of players is ever going to take them. 2 of the big money forwards gotta go. Bring some guys in who are willing to throw an actual body check out there once in a while!

When you add to that the part where he failed to address the goaltending, and you have an AHL goalie in a pressure situation like tonight it doesn’t look too good on Dubas. O’Reilly has been a massive dissapointment as his big deadline acquisition as well. He’s supposed to be this incredible defensive forward, who can win a lot of draws. He’s been nothing but a slow liability out there. Stuck out of position behind the play constantly. He’s been terrible at doing the job he was brought in to do. Another oversight by Dudas. The forward group was already on the slow side. Adding another slug who doesn’t hit wasn’t going to help matters.

Last edited:

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I think we all were. I’ve bashed Dubas and this core for years, but got suckered when they added at the deadline. I should have known better. That first round was a fraud of lucky goals I guess.
The first round wasn't luck, that was this core showing that they had the talent and ability to get it done. Then, because they have the mental toughness of toddlers in tiaras, they sit on their laurels and think they've got it easy.

The talent this team has isn't an illusion. They're good enough to go all the way, they just have zero guts and zero killer instinct. They are a hockey club for talented players, they are not a hockey team.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I don’t think he should be. He’s assembled a great EA sports roster. Problem is the core group he’s put his job on the line to stick with have proven once against that they aren’t willing to be as physical you need to be in the playoffs to win. Florida knows they aren’t going to get hit out there. Their outworking the Leafs all over the ice. Much is the same fashion as Tampa did, but it got overshadowed by a lot of lucky bounces. In my opinion the Leafs are as far in the playoffs as this manager and core group of players is ever going to take them.

He sold the premise that hard nosed hockey was over with and that NuHockey would be soft play. They actually fostered and developed their stars with this mindset until this year where they tried something different.

They spoiled the core literally and figuratively. For no reason and most people were cheering for it while I was horrified he was our GM

Last edited:

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
He should not even be allowed to get on the charter flight back to Toronto after Wednesday but I’m betting Shanny will give him a contract so we can run it all back again and waste another year

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
The 1st round series win feels more and more like a complete fluke. Sober after thought accepts that the Leafs really only played one strong game in that entire series while getting outplayed slightly to whole lot in the other games. Truth is they played better in the 2022 playoffs.

No more performative displays of the GM aping out in the press box are going to pass the sniff test. This championship build is over ripe and has started to rot. Time to cull the bad apples and pare the tree.

Reactions: sunstersun

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Dubas made the trades that he thought would help put this team over the top and it worked for the 1st round. Can't blame him for this 2nd round disaster so far when the Leafs' best players haven't shown up for much of the series.
Did you watch the 1st round

We were horrible and were incredibly lucky to win and it also took their too defenders to be injured
Those are the types of series that mislead management into thinking we’re on the right path so that we can throw away another 2/3 season

Dubas is the one that committed to these players unconditionally

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
It'd be cool if they all fired each other in the reverse order they were hired.

Dubas fires Keefe.

Shanahan fires Dubas.

MLSE fires Shanahan.

That's kinda where I'm at. I just kinda want to see a total reset of the organization at this point. Don't care which players that may or may not be here next season. I just want to see the organization purged from the top down so I can turn the page on this failed era of the Leafs.

Reactions: klmdg

SoVi3t

Sep 16, 2009
Were we lucky to win round one? :huh:

Tampa had tons of injuries that held em back. Even then we kept winning our games by pulling our goalie in the last few minutes of the game to tie it up, and you can't keep relying on that for your victories.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Said it before - his downfall has perpetually been sticking with this core group.

That Montreal series was a major red flag.

If he's willing to retool and shuffle the deck, I'm ok with keeping him. But Keefe has to go on as well.

He's evolving as a GM, so you don't want to fire him in 2023 for what he decided in 2021...

But that Big 4 needs to be torn apart. They've had all the chances and we can't do this anymore. I said I didn't believe in a mandate summer but we need some direction.

John Tavares needs to go. But he can't be moved with all the contractual protections so I think you just have to live with it.

Marner needs to go. He's never going to be a winner. For all the good he does, he's not a serious player in big moments. I've never heard of nervous playoff players before Marner. The guy has literal stage fright on nights like this. I don't want to wait around till he's 32. I don't care if he has success somewhere else.

Matthews probably isn't that elite drive train player he was advertised as way back when. I watch the effort level and buy in and every game is something different. Sometimes he's a power forward. Sometimes he's defensively dominant. Sometimes he doesn't feel like scoring. Sometimes he's just saving it for the playoffs. Oh, looks like he didn't have anything left for the playoffs.

Nylander's unreliable but will try to raise his game after he's screwed up. He's always going to be good and bad and playing guilty. But he's not a franchise centerpiece like the other 3.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
He did too much damage in too short a space of time when he was hired. There was no way he could undo it in the time he'd be given.

Reactions: centipede2233

digger1188

Oct 13, 2020
He sold the premise that hard nosed hockey was over with and that NuHockey would be soft play. They actually fostered and developed there stars with this mindset until this year where the tried something different.

They spoiled the core literally and figuratively. For no reason and most people were cheering for it while I was horrified he was our GM
Well if that’s the case, he’s really gotta go. A Stanley Cup will never be won by a team full of players who aren’t willing to give and take body checks to make plays. I don’t care how many players with a lack of toughness enter the NHL. Even the incredible Oilers of 1983 realized they weren’t going to win a cup without getting their noses dirty, after the islanders knocked them around and swept them in 4 games.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
I suppose there's a possibility that the Leafs come back to force game 7 and lose only due to a magnificent career-defining performance by Bobrovsky, but in any other scenario, I can't imagine being Shanahan and announcing in a press conference that Dubas has management's full confidence and just needs one more year to figure things out. Nobody can eat that much shit at once.

Reactions: centipede2233

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Did you watch the 1st round

We were horrible and were incredibly lucky to win and it also took their too defenders to be injured
Those are the types of series that mislead management into thinking we’re on the right path so that we can throw away another 2/3 season
The Leafs were outplayed by Tampa for large parts of many games, but they still kept at it and didn't give up and they scored on the relative few good chances that they got. This series they've had a number of good chances that they didn't capitalize on and it came back and bit them in the ass.

Every game so far the Panthers have looked beatable and they just couldn't get it done. Then they go and make dumb mistakes that the Panthers were able to capitalize on and that's the difference between possibly being up in the series to being down 3-0.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
We cant trust him to do Matthews new contract.

We cant trust him to move on from the core 4.

He does decently on trades but has made mistakes as well.

Tavares signing looks worse every single year.

No reason to keep him. Failing grades when you tally up his career as a gm IMO. Good deadline deals this year doesnt keep his job imo.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Leafs are losing in the one way that would’ve lost him all the goodwill from the first round victory. Shame.

At the very least Keefe needs to be shown the door at the end of this series. He can’t coach his way out of a paper bag. Thought he’d learned how to make adjustments against Tampa but clearly that’s not the case.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
The Leafs were outplayed by Tampa for large parts of many games, but they still kept at it and didn't give up and they scored on the relative few good chances that they got. This series they've had a number of good chances that they didn't capitalize on and it came back and bit them in the ass.

Every game so far the Panthers have looked beatable and they just couldn't get it done. Then they go and make dumb mistakes that the Panthers were able to capitalize on and that's the difference between possibly being up in the series to being down 3-0.
By they you mean Samsonov saved them right?

We’re literally losing this Florida series because matthews has disappeared and marner is playing for Florida

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad