Does dubas remain GM if the leafs get bounced by Florida?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Does dubas remain Leaf’s GM if Toronto loses out in rd 2 ?

• Yes

Votes: 172 34.6%
  • No

Votes: 239 48.1%
  • Depends how the leafs lose in rd 2

Votes: 86 17.3%

• Total voters

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
I think the best approach, whether Leafs lose to Florida or not, is to test this punk. Ownership (not Shanahan) must put Kyle's feet to the fire: "If Matthews does not want to sign a contract extension before July 1, are you willing to trade him before his NTC kicks in?"

Kyle says no I'll never trade him, he's fired that second. Kyle says yes I'll do that, he stays.

Then get that boatload of returns from the LA Kings.

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
I think the best approach, whether Leafs lose to Florida or not, is to test this punk. Ownership (not Shanahan) must put Kyle's feet to the fire: "If Matthews does not want to sign a contract extension before July 1, are you willing to trade him before his NTC kicks in?"

Kyle says no I'll never trade him, he's fired that second. Kyle says yes I'll do that, he stays.

Agreed I think one of the core 4 has to go. I vote Marner.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Out of the 16 playoff teams Leafs are 15th in CF% , 13th in FF%, 13th in SF%, 13th in GF%, 10th in xGF%, 15th in SCF%, 14th in HDGF% and 15th in HDSV%

And we're discussing re-signing the GM :laugh:

This feels like a /thread moment
As a leaf fan watching this playoffs, this looks about what the eye test is saying. They don't belong here.... Knies, a college player, came to this team without experience instantly looks better than most of the NHL players. It's clear that this team is the worst-coached team in the league.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I think our offseason would be less dramatic than that. You get Kyle Dubas signed to a new contract and road map what the next 5 years might look like. I think you get that commitment from Matthews July 1 and make level headed decisions on Marner and Nylander on cost benefit and not emotional mandating.

Matthews committed, minus some or all of the rest of the Big 3 are palatable for me as the most extreme version of a retool.

No Matthews, but Tavares, Marner, Nylander staying, I would lean towards scorching the earth. I don't want to build a team around Marner and Nylander as the foundation. If that makes sense.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I can't either....I doubt he stays if Keefe is forced out by MLSE. I think they are a package deal and if he doesn't realize that this is all too much for Keefe...then let Dubas follow Keefe out the door. If Dubas does good things as GM but at the same time undermines the team with a subpar coach...what can you say about him?
mlse is still paying babcock's salary, i doubt they would let dubas make any decision that would impact next 3 to 4 years financially.

rogers+shaw merger may make it easier for Rogers but Bell losing market share would press for more financial accountability.

If i was on the MLSE board purely based on finances I would dump Dubas forget about hockey results (which have been mediocre IMO)

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
This is my biggest gripe with the roster. It is still soft. Schenn and Acciari have helped. But its not enough.

the "toughness" had to come from the core. Marner/Nylander play like scared babies in playoffs. Tavares is so slow its not even funny. Matthews plays body and isn't not afraid to get hit or dish it out but one man can only do so much.

now compare that to the forward "cores" of other team when it comes to toughness:

just recent cup winners:

1) Avs: Mack, Rantanen, Landeskog
2) Bolts: Stamkos, Kucherov, Point, Palat/Killorn
3) Pens: Crosby, Malkin,
4) Blues: Schenn, ROR, Tarasenko
5) Caps: Backstrom, Ovi, Oshie

etc... even the Kings/Hawks forward core wasn't as soft.

we can add as much "toughness" as we want surrounding the core, but if the core itself is charmaine soft its not gonna matter.

Hell even McDavid and Drai play heavy hockey, lay hits and take them, play body and don't play like sissies

Last edited:

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I think our offseason would be less dramatic than that. You get Kyle Dubas signed to a new contract and road map what the next 5 years might look like. I think you get that commitment from Matthews July 1 and make level headed decisions on Marner and Nylander on cost benefit and not emotional mandating.

Matthews committed, minus some or all of the rest of the Big 3 are palatable for me as the most extreme version of a retool.

No Matthews, but Tavares, Marner, Nylander staying, I would lean towards scorching the earth. I don't want to build a team around Marner and Nylander as the foundation. If that makes sense.

Without Matthews I want to see this team blown up. Tavares/Marner/Nylander are not the players you win cups with. Matthews on the other hand is different, in his prime and doesn't play like a wuss.

If Matthews is not a Leaf for the next 8 years, This team should be blown up and restart the rebuild. And I want a new GM to do it. I have ZERO faith in dubas' competence. Dude has shown how to ruin a rebuild and screw the team and doesn't have hockey IQ of what to move and when to move for the benefit of the team and the franchise that pays his salary or the fans that support this team,

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Not sure how connected Adam Wylde is but according to him, it sounds like turmoil with the higher ups and MLSE and Dubas won’t be back based on what he’s hearing. This makes sense because there was major drama with getting Masai resigned.

If there was major drama signing an exec that brought championship to the city and the franchise (Raptors); I wonder how the exec who has just managed to break the 1st round while front loading contracts and still paying babcock's salary to sit at home would fair.

BoC increasing interest rates would also have hit the finances all throughout 2022, as some fans were turned off of dubas' doings anyway they don't have any interest in the team, some fans who still would have had interest with high cost of living would not buy Leafs crap anymore, and dubas spending to the cap every freakin' year while also taking on murray this year I am sure there are some rumblings at the top asking

"why the F are we paying people to sit at home (babcock), not playing (known from before injury issues - murray), front loaded contracts but no financial gains in playoff revenues, largest pool of hockey execs (i.e. dollars out in ridiculous salaries) in the organization (ex: more AGMs, Assistant Directors, etc. compared to other franchises)"

If I owned the Leafs I would be pissed. I'd offer new contracts to GMs/Coaches based on results. If results are not achieved we reserve the right to discontinue our contract and we will not pay you for the full amount of the duration the contract was signed for

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
The moment he is fired or not re signed in Toronto will become a league wide fan favourite and fan bases will want him on their team. Especially Islanders fans.
I can see how Kyle has that young prodigy charm that attracts some ownership mindsets. But who would want their franchise to be based on his "none for all and all for none" philosophical team style? Ask concussed Knies and tracheotomy Bunting how that's working for them.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
What job did he do? Get gifted 4 amazing talents and push NuHockey on us which resulted in 0 playoff round wins until he gave up on new hockey this year? The level of performance is on Dubas not Keefe because Keefe shouldn't even be there after what happened in MTL.

We're sitting down 2 freaking games as a result of losses AT HOME and have a 13% chance of coming back and you think he has done his job? 40 freaking million dollars in 4 forwards with no results is done his job?

What is not doing his job to you? Taking a freaking flame thrower and burning down MLSE on live TV with a maniacal laugh? The guy wasted 5 years of our fan lives.
Such a spazzy, melodramatic take, as always.

Talk to yourself, and switch to decaf.

When you are done with the screaming meemee’s maybe we can talk hockey…..

Last edited:

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Nobody is giving up a Tkachuk. Next season will be challenging for whoever is running the team.
Matthews. Marner. Tavares. Nylander.

None of these guys are a Tkachuk.

This team has been missing a couple Tkachuks for years now. That's been the problem all along. Heart, grit and soul.

Watch the interviews with our top 4. Aside from one of them, the rest have a "I don't care if we win or lose" demeanour about them. Ho-Hum personalities. If we win good, and if we lose it's good too, because the cottage starts tomorrow and I don't have to go through any more pain for a trophy I'm really not all that concerned about.

Move on down a bit to O'Reilly, and you can see the difference. The positivity and personality shine through in his interviews. He's there to win and wants to win.

But what can we do when we only have one of him, while the majority of the rest of the guys are impartial. Ryan is in a losing position if he's ready to win and most of the rest aren't and he knows it. Is he still as positive as the day he arrived?

Reactions: ToneDog

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
mlse is still paying babcock's salary, i doubt they would let dubas make any decision that would impact next 3 to 4 years financially.

rogers+shaw merger may make it easier for Rogers but Bell losing market share would press for more financial accountability.

If i was on the MLSE board purely based on finances I would dump Dubas forget about hockey results (which have been mediocre IMO)

Though Dubas' can fairly point out he didn't hire Babcock and probably wouldn't have if he had been in charge at the time.

The accountability for the Babs decision lies with Shanny who hired him to beging with then approved the firing

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Such a spazzy, melodramatic take, as always.

Talk to yourself, and switch to decaf.

When you are done with the screaming meemee’s maybe we can talk hockey…..

The content is fact though, it's backed by the lack of results. That's why you responded the way you just did. It's not like I didn't know this about Dubas right off the hop years ago. The hire was a huge risk and it was a failure. The only thing for defenders to do is to defend to the very end and then about face and hope nobody remembers their position after he is gone.

I can admit to my mistakes and eat humble pie, most can't.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
In pro sports all GM’s do is pay players based on potential. Especially in the NHL. Winning a championship means dick all in contract negotiations. If that was the case players like Justin Williams would be getting 10 million contracts but they don’t.

Players have always and will continue to be paid for regular season success and the teams perceived potential of said players.

I agree to a point. The Leafs get some pretty good looks and the kids have a track record by the time they get a larger contract.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
The content is fact though, it's backed by the lack of results. That's why you responded the way you just did. It's not like I didn't know this about Dubas right off the hop years ago. The hire was a huge risk and it was a failure. The only thing for defenders to do is to defend to the very end and then about face and hope nobody remembers their position after he is gone.

I can admit to my mistakes and eat humble pie, most can't.
If you consider me a Dubas defender, you don’t know anything about me then, which is fine.

Calm down bruh. Can’t talk to you all wound up.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
Dubas should have been fired when he said
We can and we will
Also for guaranteeing nylander as long as he was gm he would not be traded especially after nylander was the only one of the big four who held out and missed months of the season
The biggest problem with dubas is his ego

Reactions: centipede2233

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
I feel like it might be an AA / Jays situation all over again where he builds a team with lots of talent, the fan base has reason to hope they have a championship team on their hand, they come up short, then the GM moves on to a team with a fully stacked cupboard and wins there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad