Salary Cap: Do you trust Kyle Dubas with salary negotiations?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Do you trust Kyle Dubas with salary negotiations?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I was thinking more of the building a broke junior team from nothing into a powerhouse, both competitively and financially - type of success.

You sound like a Rangers fan though ! :D

You do realize Dubas did that with the Soo too right :laugh:. He did that with Soo for 3 years before going to the NHL. He turned them from bottom-feeders with no future to a powerhouse team with a strong player develoment system. That's what he also did with the Leafs in his first 3 years as well, as he was heavily involved in player development in the AHL. Look at our player development system now.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Yzerman was highly coveted leaving Detroit? There is no reports right now because he walked away from the game...

And it was reported that Mark Hunter was perfectly happy going back to owner/manager of the Knights.

If someone isn't looking or available for a position , why would they interview?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
And it was reported that Mark Hunter was perfectly happy going back to owner/manager of the Knights.

If someone isn't looking or available for a position , why would they interview?
That's not accurate gieven Hunter's quotes. He wants to be a GM.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
You do realize Dubas did that with the Soo too right :laugh:. He did that with Soo for 3 years before going to the NHL. He turned them from bottom-feeders with no future to a powerhouse team with a strong player develoment system. That's what he also did with the Leafs in his first 3 years as well, as he was heavily involved in player development in the AHL. Look at our player development system now.

Now you're comparing the Greyhounds to the Knights...

Please.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Yzerman was highly coveted leaving Detroit? There is no reports right now because he walked away from the game...

He was in fact. And leaving Tampa to be home (i.e. the Detroit area) might not be as incidental as his initial exit explanation implies. I could easily see Holland taking on a more advisory role to allow Yzerman the GM's portfolio after his two year extension has expired. Certainly it's up to Chris Illitch, but, stranger things...

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
What?

Look at his contract.
William Nylander - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

His contract pays him slightly over 45m over 6 years.

Nylander forfeited 3.6 million in salary by sitting out, cap friendly doesnt account for that. In real numbers he is being paid 41.4 million over 6 years or the equivalent of 6.9 million per.

That 11th-hour communication resulted in a six-year, $41.4 million contract extension for Nylander, putting an end to a stalemate that has dragged on through the first 26 games of the regular season.

Reactions: Menzinger

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
They were bankrupt before the Hunters bought it.

They made it the premier team in the OHL.

Why does this even need to be explained?

Yes, Hunters did a fantastic job turning the franchise around, but at the point where Dubas and Hunters OHL careers overlap, Hunter was working with significantly more resources.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

If someone isn't looking or available for a position, why would they interview?
When Hunter quit his job in Toronto the Leafs haters on here were convinced he would go the Islanders and work with Lamoriello so he could "Stick it to the Leafs for not naming him the GM." However not once did Hunter's name ever get mentioned as being a candidate to be a GM in Minnesota and Carolina when they were also looking for new GM's, at the same time before Dubas was named the Leafs GM. Hell I even remember on July 15, 2018 when Hunter was allowed to talk with other teams a certain someone started a Mark Hunter watch thread on the National Hockey League Talk section and in the end he went back to the London Knights.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
He lost 8 percent of his money because he didn’t report to work for 8 percent of his contract. He’s still getting paid at the rate of 7.5 per season.

Yes, as i said it is a fictional number to accommodate the time missed. But in real dollars and cap it is 6.9 so 7.5 is really insignificant.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Yes, Hunters did a fantastic job turning the franchise around, but at the point where Dubas and Hunters OHL careers overlap, Hunter was working with significantly more resources.

Granted.

And this wasn't and isn't the focus of the thread - Mark Hunter.

The focus is on the present and future and that's Dubas and the upcoming negotiations of Matthews, Marner, and heck even Kapanen.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Nylander forfeited 3.6 million in salary by sitting out, cap friendly doesnt account for that. In real numbers he is being paid 41.4 million over 6 years or the equivalent of 6.9 million per.

What’s to account for? He signed a contract for 45 million. He didn’t work part of it, so he doesn’t get paid for it.

Reactions: rumman

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
What’s to account for? He signed a contract for 45 million. He didn’t work part of it, so he doesn’t get paid for it.

I get it, but if thats not the amount that he is being paid, nor is it his cap hit, why would that number matter?

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Oddly enough, I do still have some confidence. I think (hope) he learned a lesson with the Nylander negotiations and won’t screw around with our two best players by letting them sit right ‘til the very end and still not come up with a favourable outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad