Salary Cap: Do you trust Kyle Dubas with salary negotiations?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Do you trust Kyle Dubas with salary negotiations?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
You make good points. I just think, because of Dubas' age and inexperience, there was zero chance of Nylander not being overpaid. But, then again, as you and other have said, experienced GM's overpay all the time so... maybe Old Man Lou would have done the same thing.
You're probably correct. Older player Blake Wheeler took Jets GM Chevy to the cleaners to the tune of 5-years at $8.25 per season.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
6.9 million cap hit. That's what I expected him to get.
You would as you are his biggest fan putting him ahead of the team. I expected him to get a two year deal at 3.5m per as a prove it type contract. He is a player that you do not give term to as he needs to play every part of the game before you consider paying him any where near what he got.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
This is an excellent post. People need to realize that 1 person isnt making all the decisions. They have the same guy in place that they would have under Lou or any other GM dictating the numbers.

Yeah agreed. It's decisions made by committee, not just by one person. Dubas now has the final say if we're being political, but it's a process and decision by commitee.

Also side-note, wasn't Pridham promoted to his new role recently? He joined when Dubas came too but became more prominent last year I think.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Matthews and Marner are obviously going to be even tougher negotiations than Nylander since they have more leverage due to being better to this point. There's also extra incentive to not let either negotiation go into the season this time around.

Ideally, I would have preferred Nylander's AAV to be slightly less. However, what was the alternative? Not signing him at all likely would have resulted in an eventual trade IMO because of the aforementioned - and other - RFA's that soon have to be re-signed. Otherwise, it's tough to know how close any trade was, if it all, not to mention the team and return involved if there was a possibility of it happening.

That's exactly how I see it as well.

Dubas was stuck between a rock and a hard place with the Nylander negotiation.

No other team would have traded a premium to deal with a difficult negotiation in Nylander. The same fans complaining about the contract would also be upset if Nylander brought back a crappy trade return or sat out all season.

So instead Dubas simply got a deal done and front loaded the heck out of it. That way after Nylander collects his 8.3M bonus he will have a lot of trade value and despite Nylander's comments he will be moved.

Reactions: Buds17

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
You would as you are his biggest fan putting him ahead of the team. I expected him to get a two year deal at 3.5m per as a prove it type contract. He is a player that you do not give term to as he needs to play every part of the game before you consider paying him any where near what he got.
Yeah I am sure he was game for that.

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Yeah agreed. It's decisions made by committee, not just by one person. Dubas now has the final say if we're being political, but it's a process and decision by commitee.

Also side-note, wasn't Pridham promoted to his new role recently? He joined when Dubas came too but became more prominent last year I think.

Promoted to AGM, but always in charge of working the cap

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Yup managing with shady tactics gives him the upper hand clearly.

I mean ya in the NHL, Hunter could've used his shady skills and bribed players under the table too? Could've used MLSE's money to do it eh.

I was thinking more of the building a broke junior team from nothing into a powerhouse, both competitively and financially - type of success.

You sound like a Rangers fan though ! :D

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Nylander is paid the equivalent to 6.9 x 6 (41.4 million), not 7.5 (45 million). He lost ~ 3.5 million to time missed. The 7.5 million is a fictional number to give him the real number of 6.9, reflected in both pay and cap hit.
Our GM made him whole. He lost nothing by holding out. He got 7.5m per year.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Players play their butts off to get the big pay days. After that, it's not as easy to get motivated.

Last edited:

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Our GM made him whole. He lost nothing by holding out. He got 7.5m per year.

He got 6.9 million. He will be paid 41.4 million over 6 years and has a cap hit of 6.9.

At least give an argument as to why youre staying firm on 7.5. Is actual dollars and cap hit not good enough for you?

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Absolutely no reports of any team interviewing Yzerman, just like Hunter.

So based on your very well thought out deduction skills, Dubas is better Yzerman?

:help:

Yzerman was highly coveted leaving Detroit? There is no reports right now because he walked away from the game...

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
I don’t have faith in Dubas, in any aspect of being a GM. Tavares wanted to come to Toronto. Anyone could’ve brought him in. He has had a poor draft, did nothing in FA period besides Tavares, got rid of the perfect backup goalie for trash, got bent over in Nylander deal, looks like a clown in the media.

This team needs a lot of work to get over the top IE: deadline deals. He will probably get worked over in trades next. The best thing that could happen to the organization is broom Shanny and Dubas and hand the keys to Stevie Y. This is year 5 for Shanny. 5 years without a playoff win really should be enough to get him fired.

Sandin at 29th overall looks like an absolute steal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad