Salary Cap: Do you trust Kyle Dubas with salary negotiations?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Do you trust Kyle Dubas with salary negotiations?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
That narrative has never been correct. Burke changed 100% of Murray's defense. Remember Pronger, Neidermeyer, Beauchemin? He didn't just inherit everyone and do little.
OK, bring back Brian Burke to tweak this Leafs defence and win the first Stanley Cup since 1967.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
At the end of the day, Dubas is an unexperienced kid who doesn't want to mess up the Golden Goose of players that he has inherited. That inexperience and concern led him to overpay for Nylander. It will result in him overpaying for Matthews.

Exactly. I'm pretty sure Dubas just graduated highschool too. What was he thinking giving a 21 year old star (one of the guys we called a 'big 3' Leafs player) a long term contract at a fair price? His inexperience will likely result in the Leafs overpaying a 6th D to a 4.5 mill 7 year contract (Zaitsev) . Oh wait, that was the super experienced Lou Lameriello. Maybe it will result in the Leafs overpaying a washed up MTL D (Komiserak) a big contract. Oh wait, that was super experienced Brian Burke.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Exactly. I'm pretty sure Dubas just graduated highschool too. What was he thinking giving a 21 year old star (one of the guys we called a 'big 3' Leafs player) a long term contract at a fair price? His inexperience will likely result in the Leafs overpaying a 6th D to a 4.5 mill 7 year contract (Zaitsev) . Oh wait, that was the super experienced Lou Lameriello. Maybe it will result in the Leafs overpaying a washed up MTL D (Komiserak) a big contract. Oh wait, that was super experienced Brian Burke.
That's fair and I agree, a lot of GM's overpay. I just think Nylander had the upper hand because Dubas wasn't capable of walking away at this point of his career.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
That's fair and I agree, a lot of GM's overpay. I just think Nylander had the upper hand because Dubas wasn't capable of walking away at this point of his career.

Okay enough with my sarcasm.

But why do you think Nylander got the upper hand on Dubas in this deal? I don't understand where this statement is coming from? Did I miss a news conference or something where they admitted what each side was offering and who gave in?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Nylander wants 8.5 million, settles on 6.9 and he destroyed Dubas? The Athletic and others broke down that NYlander was a 6.7-7.2 million per player.
I saw people crapping on the Leafs on here once Kypreos claimed their top offer was 6.3.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
A less-talked about situation that's arisen as well but probably worth pointing out is that Kasperi Kapanen is tracking for a 50+ point season in his first full year in the NHL. Currently producing and is leaned on by the coach far more than William Nylander.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
A less-talked about situation that's arisen as well but probably worth pointing out is that Kasperi Kapanen is tracking for a 50+ point season in his first full year in the NHL. Currently producing and is leaned on by the coach far more than William Nylander.

Our genius coach would still have him on the 4th line if Nylander signed in the summer.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Okay enough with my sarcasm.

But why do you think Nylander got the upper hand on Dubas in this deal? I don't understand where this statement is coming from? Did I miss a news conference or something where they admitted what each side was offering and who gave in?
I just think an inexperienced GM, especially a kid, will fold to ensure he does not kill the Golden Goose of players he inherited. It's not his money and it's too easy to say, "I'd rather overpay than lose Nylander".

Of course, I don't know for sure. I just know how I thought when I was Dubas' age and I know I would have given in.

Then again, perhaps Nylander will start producing and it will end up being a good deal for the Leafs.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I just think an inexperienced GM, especially a kid, will fold to ensure he does not kill the Golden Goose of players he inherited. It's not his money and it's too easy to say, "I'd rather overpay than lose Nylander".

Of course, I don't know for sure. I just know how I thought when I was Dubas' age and I know I would have given in.

Then again, perhaps Nylander will start producing and it will end up being a good deal for the Leafs.
So what would you have signed Nylander for?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
So what does what he wanted have to do with his horrible contract 7.5m per is the real amount. A vast over payment for too short of a deal. Dubas got bent over and then said thanks we will not trade you as long as I am the GM.
6.9 million cap hit. That's what I expected him to get.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Nylander wants 8.5 million, settles on 6.9 and he destroyed Dubas? The Athletic and others broke down that NYlander was a 6.7-7.2 million per player.
I saw people crapping on the Leafs on here once Kypreos claimed their top offer was 6.3.

Was that the article where they used Tarasenko as a comparable after he score 37 goals in a season?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Yes Kappy is a keeper.
Sometimes a one of skill player is not as important to team synergy as 2 players with a different skill set/multifunctional + a solid D when it comes down to cap/team/dynamic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad