Salary Cap: Do you trust Kyle Dubas with salary negotiations?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Do you trust Kyle Dubas with salary negotiations?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
This board is all about what;s happening this week. Thank god none of you are GMs. My favourite is people who said drafting Mitch Marner was a massive mistake now saying they'll have to pay him too much because he's too good.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
This board is all about what;s happening this week. Thank god none of you are GMs. My favourite is people who said drafting Mitch Marner was a massive mistake now saying they'll have to pay him too much because he's too good.
This week? This topic has been ongoing since he was hired.
Regarding Marner, who are those people?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Kuch will be one of the comparables used. 9.5M at the time of that deal is now well over 10M . If Dubas was smart he would have signed Marner at the number they were looking for in the summer, but again like nylander it wasn't a priority. Now he'll learn from Nylander and sit out and end up with 11M.
That's assuming that NIck Kyrpreos report was accurate. No one else has said that.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Nylander's ten best comparables had a cap hit over $7M. Ehlers was the by far best contract signed of any comparable. By that argument, you are using the best case scenario as your expectation. That's a good way to end up disappointed in all things.

I am absolutely using the best case scenario for management. Nylander used the best case scenario for a player and got everything. $7 million is on the high end. As a RFA, the Leafs held all the power as employer. Nylander can withhold his services but Leafs can withhold NHL play and NHL pay.

It’s not even a moot point where we can say what’s done is done, because his contract will impact how Matthews and Marner perceive Dubas as a negotiator.

Dubas is an asset when recruiting UFAs who want to be here. I’ve yet to be convinced he can be a tough negotiator. I don’t think he’s had the experience in life to make tough bargains, and learning on the job as GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs just as the most important contact talks in team history come up is a pretty daunting thought. I’m hoping Matthews and Marner will WANT to take less.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
For some reason Dubas thinks that he can build a valid contender when he spends 15-17 mil in D. Keep dreaming sweet millennial prince. It is so stupid to build a team around four forwards (cap wise). 40 mil price tag is way too much for four forwards.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I am absolutely using the best case scenario for management. Nylander used the best case scenario for a player and got everything. $7 million is on the high end. As a RFA, the Leafs held all the power as employer. Nylander can withhold his services but Leafs can withhold NHL play.

It’s not even a moot point where we can say what’s done is done, because his contract will impact how Matthews and Marner perceive Dubas as a negotiator.

Dubas is an asset when recruiting UFAs who want to be here. I’ve yet to be convinced he can be a tough negotiator. I don’t think he’s had the experience in life to make tough bargains, and learning on the job as GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs just as the most important contact talks in team history come up is a pretty daunting thought. I’m hoping Matthews and Marner will WANT to take less.

I wish people could read the Athlletic. They broke down every single contract and said Nylander was worth 6.7-7.2 per season.

Reactions: Nifty Willy

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
You don't recall the constant talk of Marner being a mistake?
Sure but you said the same people are now worried about his salary. I don’t keep track of this stuff so was wondering who they are. I know it’s not me.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
I wish people could read the Athlletic. They broke down every single contract and said Nylander was worth 6.7-7.2 per season.

Athetic has done a lot. But let's not pretend the issue here. Mirtle is Dubas's BFF and of course he and rest of group (Siegel etc.) will kiss Dubas's ass.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Sure but you said the same people are now worried about his salary. I don’t keep track of this stuff so was wondering who they are. I know it’s not me.
Our buddy Mess is certainly ontop of the list.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
They showed stats and facts. It isn't like they just said that # without proof.

With cherry picking you pick the stats which will advance your agenda and case. Athletic won't write anything against what Dubas has or will do. It's small boys club and it's hilarious when podcasters laugh about it, but when you're the guy in the inner circle that changes everything.

It is pretty sad that people will believe everything if a person adds a "reporter" to his resume. Mirtle and Co are bias when Dubas is involved.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Not sure one constitutes a list.

Anyway, Mess seems to have come around on Marner.
I'm not a huge fan of naming names. There are others.

My point is I find people just forget about larger sample sizes and go for this week's hot take.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
With cherry picking you pick the stats which will advance your agenda and case. Athletic won't write anything against what Dubas has or will do. It's small boys club and it's hilarious when podcasters laugh about it, but when you're the guy in the inner circle that changes everything.
Nylander had the same stats as Pastyrnak and Draissaitl.

I don't think people are getting what 2 61 point seasons to start your career will get you.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

What you have to understand is if you have an anti-Dubas agenda, reality doesn't matter. If people want to pretend that a 6.9 cap hit is caving when there were clear comparables and the player wanted 8.5, what can you really do with that?

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
if he was signed to be traded after July 1st, then I'll cut Dubas some slack, but what about Willy spouting off about promises of not being traded? Is he just doing that to get back at Dubas?
100 % LOL lip service.
I think Nylander outted himself. He knows more than I do. And he knows he's trade bait.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I'm not a huge fan of naming names. There are others.

My point is I find people just forget about larger sample sizes and go for this week's hot take.
Whether Dubas is right for the job has been discussed pretty much daily since he was hired. Sample size is getting larger every day.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
What you have to understand is if you have an anti-Dubas agenda, reality doesn't matter. If people want to pretend that a 6.9 cap hit is caving when there were clear comparables and the player wanted 8.5, what can you really do with that?

It’s irrelevant that he wanted 8.5. In no universe did he ever deserve anything close to that. Leafs could’ve offered 4.5 too, it wouldn’t have meant a thing.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Exactly. No one mentions Nylander wanted 8.5 million per anymore.
Edmonton screwed us with that contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad