Salary Cap: Do you trust Kyle Dubas with salary negotiations?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Do you trust Kyle Dubas with salary negotiations?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Interesting...i view it completely different than you. Sounds like you don't like Kyle or something. It takes two to tango and you weren't at the dance!
I had my concerns with him being so green. But I wouldn't say I have a bias towards disliking him. Don't like what he did with our backup situation....the willy hing....trading Leivo for a water bottle.....his actions have made me question him.

Explain your different view then. I don't see how anyone can spin that situation as good.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Wouldn't Dubas not care about the no state tax for the Lighting players? I mean in the end Kucherov still signed for an AAV of $9.5 million for 8 years and I think that's what matters the most when looking at comparable contracts. Plus what if the Leafs could work out a signing bonus like they gave Tavares, because that's an advantage they have over a lot of teams.

Kuch will be one of the comparables used. 9.5M at the time of that deal is now well over 10M . If Dubas was smart he would have signed Marner at the number they were looking for in the summer, but again like nylander it wasn't a priority. Now he'll learn from Nylander and sit out and end up with 11M.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
A lot of great stuff in this thread.

My favorite is people defending the Nylander signing saying he's got tons of trade value. Yup, guy with 1 goal in a quarter of the season has tons of trade value this summer. Tons!

Good to see half the fanbase has come around to my line of thinking on nylander. Glad to see people are reading and then learning from my posts. Good job!

Reactions: Al14

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I'm starting to question the entire management team.

Our roster, even with our poor defense, should be getting more wins IMHO.

Something is OFF with this team. Shanahan and Dubas need to get to the root of our problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: rumman

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Nylander's agent got it all in that negotiation.

On top of that, our inability to recognize that Marner was going to go off this season (which many of us saw as a virtual certainty given his last half season, playoffs, combined with natural progression and his lionesque heart), meant that his inability to get Nylander inked has serious ramifications on many fronts. We went to the wire with Willie, only to craft a deal that left you wondering why it wasn't done months prior. That delay meant Marner couldn't get done and we will pay for that timeline.

Do I trust Dubas? Sure. Do I like how this has gone so far with RFA's, a big time no. There has been some miscalculations here, no question in my mind.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Nylander's agent got it all in that negotiation.

On top of that, our inability to recognize that Marner was going to go off this season (which many of us saw as a virtual certainty given his last half season, playoffs, combined with natural progression and his lionesque heart), meant that his inability to get Nylander inked has serious ramifications on many fronts. We went to the wire with Willie, only to craft a deal that left you wondering why it wasn't done months prior. That delay meant Marner couldn't get done and we will pay for that timeline.

Do I trust Dubas? Sure. Do I like how this has gone so far with RFA's, a big time no. There has been some miscalculations here, no question in my mind.
I agree with your post but how can we trust him after this as he has cost us a good player at a minimum as our cap is going to increase by focusing on a complimentary piece and not the two important players.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I agree with your post but how can we trust him after this as he has cost us a good player at a minimum as our cap is going to increase by focusing on a complimentary piece and not the two important players.
Lesson learned.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Nylander deal was disgusting. After a holdout that long, it should be a team friendly deal, not a player friendly deal.
Team Melander to blame, not Dubas.
Nylander knows he's going to Carolina.

The Dec 1 signing was predictable. All Michael Nylander.

Dubas was kind to Willy and the team to let him back with an overpay. But Nylander is 100% gone for it.

Team Melander is toxic.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
What cap hit should Nylander be getting?
closer to league minimum than what he got thus far, like Ennis money, kids out of shape, doesn't want to compete, and whines that because of the hold out he's having a hard time getting up to speed. Now, who held out on who?

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
Worst part of this deal IMO is that it gives Marner and Matthews agents more power in negotiations. He f***ed up 3 deals in one when he bent over to Nylanders agent. Should've sat him for the year.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
He hasn’t given me a reason to trust him with salary negotiations. He was too soft with Nylander.

Dubas can be a great friend to the young Leafs. I don’t know if he can be a great GM opposite them on the negotiating table.

Reactions: diceman934

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
He's had one negotiation, and it was a tough one that ended up looking just about as expected based on previous comparables and prediction models. Way too early to form an opinion. I guess we'll know by the end of the year though. This is a crucial summer.

Reactions: Menzinger

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Team Melander to blame, not Dubas.
Nylander knows he's going to Carolina.

The Dec 1 signing was predictable. All Michael Nylander.

Dubas was kind to Willy and the team to let him back with an overpay. But Nylander is 100% gone for it.

Team Melander is toxic.
if he was signed to be traded after July 1st, then I'll cut Dubas some slack, but what about Willy spouting off about promises of not being traded? Is he just doing that to get back at Dubas?

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
7 mil for guy with career high 22 goals. Add to that he was no-show in the playoffs twice. He's scorer and won't to anything else on ice. You can forgave that if a player is like a prime Kovalchuk, but this guy is some pretty boy with average resume. Only reason why he's so highly regarded is because he was part of the "hope". Well time is here now and he's still the same lazy ignorant dud what has always been. Some people just won't change, especially when his father is Michael Nylander. Millennial Dubas though he was so much smarter than anyone else and he got played.

Last edited:

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
if he was signed to be traded after July 1st, then I'll cut Dubas some slack, but what about Willy spouting off about promises of not being traded? Is he just doing that to get back at Dubas?
I said before Nylander signed that any gained offseason trade value by signing him instead of sitting him wouldn't be worth the damage done. I think I've been proven correct.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
He's had one negotiation, and it was a tough one that ended up looking just about as expected based on previous comparables and prediction models. Way too early to form an opinion. I guess we'll know by the end of the year though. This is a crucial summer.

He should’ve gotten the exact same amount as Ehlers. $6 million. Throw in a couple hundred thousand if needed.

The optics of giving Nylander $7 million looks terrible, and did us no favours for future negotiations this upcoming summer. Although thankfully, Nylander with his play is doing a heck of a job showing management what could happen if they allow a star player to sit for so long.

Reactions: The CyNick
Mar 14, 2015
7 mil for guy with career high 22 goals. Add to that he was no-show in the playoffs twice. He's scorer and won't to anything else on ice. You can give player that forgave that if he's like a prime Kovalchuk, but none some pretty boy with average resume. Millennial Dubas though he was so much smarter than anyone else and he got played.
Another Leafs fan that have bad memory, he was great against Washington.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I said before Nylander signed that any gained offseason trade value by signing him instead of sitting him wouldn't be worth the damage done. I think I've been proven correct.
I would have let him sit too, but if he's gone after July 1st like some think I'll be happy with that out come. It sends just as clear a message to upcoming free agents imo.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
7 mil for guy with career high 22 goals. Add to that he was no-show in the playoffs twice. He's scorer and won't to anything else on ice. You can give player that forgave that if he's like a prime Kovalchuk, but none some pretty boy with average resume. Millennial Dubas though he was so much smarter than anyone else and he got played.
8 points in 13 playoffs games.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
He should’ve gotten the exact same amount as Ehlers. $6 million. Throw in a couple hundred thousand if needed.

The optics of giving Nylander $7 million looks terrible, and did us no favours for future negotiations this upcoming summer.
Nylander's ten best comparables had a cap hit over $7M. Ehlers was the by far best contract signed of any comparable. By that argument, you are using the best case scenario as your expectation. That's a good way to end up disappointed in all things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad