Do you think this team is better or worse going into next season?

Do you think this team is better or worse going into next season?

• Total voters

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Athletic ranked us 8th for most improved this offseason. I'm sure we will add a D man at the deadline as well.
We could, but with what assets are we going to grab an impact dman. I don’t want a lyubushkin 3.0 for mid round picks

I want a true top4 RHD because that’s what this team needs. That’s going to cost a 1st+. We don’t have that, and we aren’t trading Cowan for one

Moreover, we haven’t considered if any regression from nylander and Matthews is possible, as well as tanev.

Maybe I’m just overly pessimistic, but I really believed last offseason was just as strong as this one, and we couldn’t make it out of the first round yet again.

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
We could, but with what assets are we going to grab an impact dman. I don’t want a lyubushkin 3.0 for mid round picks

I want a true top4 RHD because that’s what this team needs. That’s going to cost a 1st+. We don’t have that, and we aren’t trading Cowan for one

Moreover, we haven’t considered if any regression from nylander and Matthews is possible, as well as tanev.

Maybe I’m just overly pessimistic, but I really believed last offseason was just as strong as this one, and we couldn’t make it out of the first round yet again.

Tre will likely trade the 2nd for a D man by the tdl. The market rate this year will determine how good of a guy that gets

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

True, but this time we made it to game 7 OT against a healthy Boston team who was expected to beat us with Matthews and Nylander out half the series, then Woll only playing 2 games when he was clearly the better option than Samsanov. Realistically a healthy Leafs team either of these seasons should be able to win some rounds, but of course we say that every year.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Tre will likely trade the 2nd for a D man by the tdl. The market rate this year will determine how good of a guy that gets

Sure it's always a possibility but will depend of how Tanev and oel respond and who is available. I don't think leafs will be as desesperate to find D like they was last 3 years.

But i can see Treliving trying hard for a guy like Rasmus Andersson if he become available like Toronto alreqdy did with Muzzin one year before he hit free agency.

Reactions: arso40

Leafidelity

Existentially Drifting
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Maybe better than last year. A lean offense losing their top goal scorer outside the Core 4 will hurt.

Definitely not better than the group that won a round. Most likely first round fodder again

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021

I thought last off-season was concerning. Tre ended up salvaging it when Bertuzzi and Domi fell in his lap after Day 1. Reaves and Klingberg were awful signings (and I am OK with Reaves as a player)

This off-season has been very strong.

Yes, Matthews and Nylander could take a step back. Marner could be healthy and playing for a raise all year. Knies and McMann could take a next step. Domi could be second half Domi all year.

Reactions: arso40

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Maybe better than last year. A lean offense losing their top goal scorer outside the Core 4 will hurt.

Definitely not better than the group that won a round. Most likely first round fodder again
What made the Leafs a "lean offense" exactly? They finished second in the NHL in GF.

They lost a 21 goal scorer. There is reason to believe that gets absorbed by continued development from Knies, McMann, and Robertson.

Reactions: bax and arso40

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Doesn’t really matter to me whether they are better or worse this year because neither this year‘s version or last year’s is good enough, so whatever.

More of the same.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I thought last off-season was concerning. Tre ended up salvaging it when Bertuzzi and Domi fell in his lap after Day 1. Reaves and Klingberg were awful signings (and I am OK with Reaves as a player)

This off-season has been very strong.

Yes, Matthews and Nylander could take a step back. Marner could be healthy and playing for a raise all year. Knies and McMann could take a next step. Domi could be second half Domi all year.
I'd disagree

I think klingberg was a case of right idea, wrong player. We needed a secondary offensive piece and a puck mover who could play pp1/2. Had he stayed healthy if he was capable of giving us 45-55 points that would've been good. I remember he had it in him to play somewhat tough as well when we played boston the first time and he gave marchand a dirty af crosscheck to the back.

Whether bertuzzi and domi fell into tre's lap or not, I still give him credit for getting those. Bertuzzi was the bunting replacement and at the time a huge upgrade, and domi was finally the 3C we needed but ended up being a marner-lite for us. Benoit ended up being a very nice pickup who is a solid bottom pairer too

reaves was questionable, especially giving him term but at least the caphit was low enough that it wasn't that big of an issue.

This season, we are banking nylander continuing off a career year where he was playing like mcdavid for the first quarter of it, matthews to continue to score 60+. Moreover, marner was still pacing for what he usually does, I don't expect him to get better, and I for sure don't see him eclipsing his 2021=2022 season pace either. Knies sure I could see taking a step forward to fill bertuzzi's role, but who take's knies's role? Mcmann is too much of a wildcard to make a statement on right now, He was incredibly useful in the 50ish games he played, but I wouldn't say I am thrilled with him being penciled in as a contributer. Domi also had a ton of success paired with AM and Bert who is no longer here, so I wonder how that goes. Finally, Tavares is going to continue to decline, next year he might not even be playable in a top 6 role (not that he was really this season either).

The additions were good, but IMO we sacrificed offence for defence and we don't really struggle defensively in the playoffs, so I am a bit confused as to why we went this route
True, but this time we made it to game 7 OT against a healthy Boston team who was expected to beat us with Matthews and Nylander out half the series, then Woll only playing 2 games when he was clearly the better option than Samsanov. Realistically a healthy Leafs team either of these seasons should be able to win some rounds, but of course we say that every year.
I had Boston in 7 because we can't beat boston, but from a pure lineup comparison, we should've blown them the f*** out like florida. Not having Matthews and Nylander should've made this a 50/50 series as it was essentially Marner-Tavares-Rielly vs Pastrnak-Marchand-Macavoy, which should be a good matchup. They had f***ing pavel zacha as their 1C and he looked like dogshit. Woll injured himself on a meaningless play at the end of game 6, he has already shown injury concerns and I am cautious about those.

The games matthews missed we won both of...and I don't think a healthy Matthews is doing anything more in game 7. He probably had his second best game 7/elimination game of his career behind 2022. The sample is big enough to show that he isn't a guy who is going to go out there and win you the game 7, hell he hasn't shown he can even be a key contributor consistently.

Sure nylander wasn't healthy and wasn't up to speed until game 5/6, but he still had 3G in 4 games and Idk how much better he would've been, especially paired with the playoff 4C tavares.

I don't want to attack you, but it just seems incredibly foolish to even say "but this time we made it to game 7 OT"... this isn't 2016-17 and/or we aren't the washington capitals. Morale victories don't matter, excuses don't matter, Winning does. these guys are in their respective primes and we can't win a round, what happens when they get over 30?

Idk I just feel like we make this sort of laundry list of things every offseason and try to use it as justification as to what happened. Sometimes we just need to realize what we did and are doing is not enough and maybe rethink the plan

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

Sure, but we finally have a right handed D man, the theoretically perfect Reilly top pair compliment. Pessimism is warranted, but also true, if Nylander, Matthews and Woll didn’t have untimely illness, injury, we beat Boston imho. For my money, one of the best overall series I’ve seen. Add a Berube at the helm, who knows. Our division is murders row too, we are a top 10 team, perhaps we touch top 5 next year, a decent contender. We’re Leaf’s fans, forever waiting for tragedy, always a glimmer of next time. The sickness that unites us all lol.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I'd disagree

I think klingberg was a case of right idea, wrong player. We needed a secondary offensive piece and a puck mover who could play pp1/2. Had he stayed healthy if he was capable of giving us 45-55 points that would've been good. I remember he had it in him to play somewhat tough as well when we played boston the first time and he gave marchand a dirty af crosscheck to the back.

Whether bertuzzi and domi fell into tre's lap or not, I still give him credit for getting those. Bertuzzi was the bunting replacement and at the time a huge upgrade, and domi was finally the 3C we needed but ended up being a marner-lite for us. Benoit ended up being a very nice pickup who is a solid bottom pairer too

reaves was questionable, especially giving him term but at least the caphit was low enough that it wasn't that big of an issue.

This season, we are banking nylander continuing off a career year where he was playing like mcdavid for the first quarter of it, matthews to continue to score 60+. Moreover, marner was still pacing for what he usually does, I don't expect him to get better, and I for sure don't see him eclipsing his 2021=2022 season pace either. Knies sure I could see taking a step forward to fill bertuzzi's role, but who take's knies's role? Mcmann is too much of a wildcard to make a statement on right now, He was incredibly useful in the 50ish games he played, but I wouldn't say I am thrilled with him being penciled in as a contributer. Domi also had a ton of success paired with AM and Bert who is no longer here, so I wonder how that goes. Finally, Tavares is going to continue to decline, next year he might not even be playable in a top 6 role (not that he was really this season either).

The additions were good, but IMO we sacrificed offence for defence and we don't really struggle defensively in the playoffs, so I am a bit co

I'd disagree

The additions were good, but IMO we sacrificed offence for defence and we don't really struggle defensively in the playoffs, so I am a bit confused as to why we went this route

I'd disagree

I don't agree with your disagree.

You can't separate the intention from the execution. Klingberg was a terrible signing. He had deteriorated so much in the years prior that when I heard we signed him, I thought it would be a 1 x $1.5M type of move. There was no reason to spend our D dollars on him. Right away, I thought "wouldn't Gustafson have been the much better move here?"

If Domi and Bertuzzi were Day One signings I might give him more credit. No one expected Bert to be available for that number on a one year deal on Day Two. Possibly the same could be said for Domi. I really wonder what Tre would have done it those two weren't available.

This season? We were the second highest scoring team in the NHL in the regular season and we lost a FA that got 21 goals. Knies can step into that role and ipossibly improve upon it. Yes McMann can give us what Knies gave us last year. One of the kids can give us what McMann did. We had to open a spot up for Cowan or Grebenkin or Minten and we did. Yes, we are relying on our big guns to be our big guns again. I would very much like to see one of Nylander or Marner moved to C. That's what we need from the big guns

Robertson Matthews Domi
Tavares Marner Knies
Holmberg Nylander McMann
Dewar Kampf Jarnkrok

Let the big guys earn their dollars by playing C and elevating some less expensive wingers. Cowan, Grebenkin and Minten included.

We can say that D was fine last playoff and scoring let us down again. It might be true, but first of all we lost Edmundson, Lyubushkin, Brodie and Giordano. We did a very nice job replacing them. Also, we had terrible goaltending last year and we have improved it (no one can be as bad as Sammy was). Our moves could/should improve the PP and PK and if either of those were better, we beat the B's in R1 last year.

This off-season also includes overhauling the coaching staff. I believe that will help immensely.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
We won't know they are full of BS. What we will know, is that given what they know, and what they believe they could have traded Marner for... that it wasn't worth trading him... that they believe extending Marner is better than letting him walk, or making the trades that are available.

I've proposed many trades to move Marner, and I would have liked to do so... but I live in a fantasy world, and don't know if my trades were possible. I'd like change too.. but then, if we make trades that make this team LESS likely to achieve our goals, that doesn't make the team more likable. We all want the same thing... management too.. everyone wants to win. We probably have differing opinions on how to make that happen though. I can suggest trades, you can suggest trades, only management knows if those are possible...

Let's be honest... this has been a very successful regular season franchise... we aren't suffering like Buffalo who hasn't made the playoffs for a decade, or Senators fans... we've had a good regular season team to cheer for. But, the expectations are indeed much higher... we want playoff success...

What would be entirely accurate, without the accusations... is if they fail to achieve success, is that management, coaching and players weren't good enough.... that would be accurate... they've failed to deliver the stated goals...and at some point.... hopefully Shanahan down get replaced to try and achieve those goals. How many years have we said that?

While the core is unlikable.... it's also one of the most talented cores assembled anywhere... they just don't seem to play their best, or try hard enough when it matters.... If somehow, you get them to play right... you've got a winner, and that's probably what Berube is asking for... his chance to mould these guys into winners... that's understandable, even if we are impatient for change.

And I'm OK with the fact that he's getting his chance to coach this core.

One of the things I've always asked is if you give this core a real coach, that isn't Sheldon Keefe, that won't talk about respect in the handshake line,that won't blow a 3-1 series lead because he failed to make a SINGLE adjustment, that won't be critical of his team one day and back down the next like a bitch boy.

If you give this core a REAL coach with REAL credibility as a proven winner what happens?

Looks like we are about to find out.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
That’s a terrible idea because then you’re just diluting the offensive firepower.

Much better to have two solid scoring lines.

The third line should be a lockdown defensive checking line that can shut down the opposing team’s #1 line.

The fourth line is the crash line with a fighter and a couple of young guys who bring energy for a change of tempo. Ideally, the young guys on the 4th line develop into 1st and 2nd line guys. But in the meantime, while they’re still on the 4th line that’s a huge advantage to have.
Sure, but that's hard to do this year.

_____ - Matty - Domi
_____ - Willy - Mitch

With somewhat interchangeable LWs, that should be two solid scoring lines.

The problem is JT. He's past the 2C stage, and certainly doesn't qualify as either a defensive C or a young crash C.

Mitch would help the defensive side of the third line, and let Berube put a faster winger with Willy, but neither he nor JT are a line driver. Not to mention the idea of a $22M 3rd line.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
What made the Leafs a "lean offense" exactly? They finished second in the NHL in GF.

They lost a 21 goal scorer. There is reason to believe that gets absorbed by continued development from Knies, McMann, and Robertson.

The fact that 69 of those goals came from 1 player.

You look at a team like Dallas, who was 3rd highest in scoring, but their highest goal scorer potted 32. They had 8 different forwards score 20 or more goals; and I think a lot of people look at "that's what the Leafs need to be".

I think that realistically, for the Leafs, it's more about finding ways to "distribute" those goals. Marner has scored 35 goals in this league (in 72 games) and has paced at 30 or more over the last 3 years, but come playoff time, it's pass pass pass. Somehow they need to get him engaged a little more in scoring goals.

While not many teams have more than 5 20 goal scorers, I get the sense that not as many teams have as complete of a "dropoff" after their top 2 lines as the Leafs do. Sure, McMann & Knies both had 15 each; but it's probably important to remember thatt McMann had 1 huge hot streak, and pretty much all of Knies production came when he was playing in the top 6.

Personally, I believe that for the Leafs to "round out" their offence, they've gotta get another centre that can produce. McMann, Knies, Cowan, even Robertson have upside to be quality depth scorers... but Domi should be playing with Matthews, Marner with Tavares, and Nylander with somebody that can play at his level.

Reactions: Leafidelity

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
We won't know they are full of BS. What we will know, is that given what they know, and what they believe they could have traded Marner for... that it wasn't worth trading him... that they believe extending Marner is better than letting him walk, or making the trades that are available.

I've proposed many trades to move Marner, and I would have liked to do so... but I live in a fantasy world, and don't know if my trades were possible. I'd like change too.. but then, if we make trades that make this team LESS likely to achieve our goals, that doesn't make the team more likable. We all want the same thing... management too.. everyone wants to win. We probably have differing opinions on how to make that happen though. I can suggest trades, you can suggest trades, only management knows if those are possible...

Let's be honest... this has been a very successful regular season franchise... we aren't suffering like Buffalo who hasn't made the playoffs for a decade, or Senators fans... we've had a good regular season team to cheer for. But, the expectations are indeed much higher... we want playoff success...

What would be entirely accurate, without the accusations... is if they fail to achieve success, is that management, coaching and players weren't good enough.... that would be accurate... they've failed to deliver the stated goals...and at some point.... hopefully Shanahan down get replaced to try and achieve those goals. How many years have we said that?

While the core is unlikable.... it's also one of the most talented cores assembled anywhere... they just don't seem to play their best, or try hard enough when it matters.... If somehow, you get them to play right... you've got a winner, and that's probably what Berube is asking for... his chance to mould these guys into winners... that's understandable, even if we are impatient for change.
I would revise the bolded to say "they believe extending Marner or letting him walk, is better than making the trades that are available".

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Why not...and make 22m drive their own line

Knies Matthews Jarnkrok
Robertson Tavares Marner
McMann Domi Nylander
Because neither Tavares nor Marner is a line driver, and Nylander is our best offensive player after Matthews.

That's why I think you put Domi with Matty, Mitch with Willy (fill with whichever LWs you like) and JT at 3C.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I agree if healthy they should beat Bruins but the goal is not to win a Round, it is to win the Cup.

I think that’s the illusion that even the players still have, if only AM and Willie and Woll was healthy, we would be playing in the 2nd round….
2nd round means nothing as half of the teams in the playoffs make it to the 2nd round every playoffs.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
The fact that 69 of those goals came from 1 player.

You look at a team like Dallas, who was 3rd highest in scoring, but their highest goal scorer potted 32. They had 8 different forwards score 20 or more goals; and I think a lot of people look at "that's what the Leafs need to be".

I think that realistically, for the Leafs, it's more about finding ways to "distribute" those goals. Marner has scored 35 goals in this league (in 72 games) and has paced at 30 or more over the last 3 years, but come playoff time, it's pass pass pass. Somehow they need to get him engaged a little more in scoring goals.

While not many teams have more than 5 20 goal scorers, I get the sense that not as many teams have as complete of a "dropoff" after their top 2 lines as the Leafs do. Sure, McMann & Knies both had 15 each; but it's probably important to remember thatt McMann had 1 huge hot streak, and pretty much all of Knies production came when he was playing in the top 6.

Personally, I believe that for the Leafs to "round out" their offence, they've gotta get another centre that can produce. McMann, Knies, Cowan, even Robertson have upside to be quality depth scorers... but Domi should be playing with Matthews, Marner with Tavares, and Nylander with somebody that can play at his level.
If Matthews only scored 32 goals they would have still finished in the top half of the league in goals. I am not sure why we have to take away 37 of his goals when assessing up the Leafs offense. If he didn't score all those goals we should assume others might have got a few more too, no? On the PP for example.

The Leafs had five 20 goal guys. One of those with 69 and the other with 40. Two more guys on pace for 20 and Knies.

Why are we calling this offense lean?

• Haha
Reactions: TimeZone

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

A lean offense? Legitimately what are you talking about? The Leafs will have no issue scoring goals 5 of the top 6 forwards and now you have a 2nd waive of offensive depth coming up in Knies, Robertson, Mcmann, Cowan and Minten.

Bertuzzi loss will barely be felt.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Maple Leafs Rank as 8th-Most Improved Team in NHL on The Athletic’s List Despite Minimal Moves​

On top of bringing back Max Domi and Timothy Liljegren, the Leafs’ most notable additions have been Chris Tanev, Oliver Ekman-Larsson, and Anthony Stolarz in NHL free agency.

Despite making minimal moves, the Toronto Maple Leafs have still addressed their biggest holes found on the blueline and in the crease. While the club brought back forward Max Domi on a four-year, $15 million contract, and re-signed defenseman Timothy Liljegren on a two-year, $6 million contract, their most notable additions were made on the opening day of NHL free agency.

Headlined by Chris Tanev, Oliver Ekman-Larsson, and Anthony Stolarz, these are key moves that have strengthened the Leafs’ lineup in areas needing the most assistance. In a piece written by Dom Luszczyszyn of The Athletic, though minimal, the Leafs “Look better, and that closes the gap between them and the league’s best considerably”.

Out of the 32 NHL teams, Luszczyszyn has the Leafs ranked 8th with a Net Rating added of +14 – which provides a more comprehensive view of a player's impact beyond traditional statistics and is used to measure a player's overall impact on their team's performance. The ranking focuses primarily on external changes to the roster while balancing out key additions compared to key departures.

The priority from the get-go was to make upgrades defensively, and now, they have arguably their best-looking defensive structure in the ‘Core Four’ era. Though the team has a void to fill with the exit of Bertuzzi, adding upfront over the coming months will be the shifted focus – preferably at the 3C position and a top-six winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad