Do you think this team is better or worse going into next season?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Do you think this team is better or worse going into next season?

• Total voters

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
It can also hurt us.

I am not sure Berube is considered a good coach.

We will see how his style meshes with the group.

I agree, but when you are 35, the clock is ticking, so whenever it happens for Tanev, it may happen quickly.

He did such a good job they demoted him back to the 5th D and sheltered him.

I am not saying he is not capable, but pretending like he will step into top 4 role and be good is a little too optimistic for me.
Why are you not sure? Have you never followed him to pick a side? Are you just saying you don't know only because you watched him alot and can't figure out if you like him or not?

The things I would have done is retroactive .
Not signed Tavares
Fire Dubas when it became evident that his crazy build model would not work but refused to pivot.
Fire Keefe a few years ago
Shanny should have been fired this year for allowing all this to happen
Then you bring in a bunch of guys that also fail with less wins overall and get fired.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Why are you not sure? Have you never followed him to pick a side? Are you just saying you don't know only because you watched him alot and can't figure out if you like him or not?

His record is terrible, no one speaks about him as a good coach, just that he is a good motivator and tough.

His best season is the season he had the least amount of time to influence the team, that is likely the biggest red flag I see, it is similar to Lou in New York, the team got worse the longer he had his influence over them (obviously a GM and coach are different and it is not a 1 to 1 comparison).

I won't pretend I know the styles of every coach, but watching St Loius under him I wasn't impressed.

Not like I watched a ton though, nor was I paying attention to systems, that is why I am not sure.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
The things I would have done is retroactive .
Not signed Tavares
Fire Dubas when it became evident that his crazy build model would not work but refused to pivot.
Fire Keefe a few years ago
Shanny should have been fired this year for allowing all this to happen
I see. This doesn't really seem like a list of grievances against the new guy, now does it?

That was your comment I was responding to.

Reactions: bax

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
It can also hurt us.

I am not sure Berube is considered a good coach.

We will see how his style meshes with the group.

I agree, but when you are 35, the clock is ticking, so whenever it happens for Tanev, it may happen quickly.

He did such a good job they demoted him back to the 5th D and sheltered him.

I am not saying he is not capable, but pretending like he will step into top 4 role and be good is a little too optimistic for me.

#1 quality you need to be a head coach is to be a good motivator to be able to get max from your player.

People don't realize than the stl who won the cup was not an amaizing team. I would compare this team with a team like actual NY islanders. It's a good team but not an elite one and he lost probably his key player with pietrangelo. Now he start with a team with more tool he ever had in his carreer, let's see if he's able to find the right mix.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
#1 quality you need to be a head coach is to be a good motivator to be able to get max from your player.

Being a good motivator is the number one quality? Nope.

People don't realize than the stl who won the cup was not an amaizing team. I would compare this team with a team like actual NY islanders. It's a good team but not an elite one and he lost probably his key player with pietrangelo. Now he start with a team with more tool he ever had in his carreer, let's see if he's able to find the right mix.

There is a thread comparing the cup winning team to ours, doesn't seem to be the consensus there.

You'd compare this team to a team like the Islanders? Not a chance.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Being a good motivator is the number one quality? Nope.

There is a thread comparing the cup winning team to ours, doesn't seem to be the consensus there.

You'd compare this team to a team like the Islanders? Not a chance.
If you can't motivate get the best of your player, you can be the best on strategy or get the best system in the world... There no system who's working with player playing at 50%, no one... So yes it's extremeluly important

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

Then you bring in a bunch of guys that also fail with less wins overall and get fired.
Or actually succeed like other teams do

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
If you can't motivate get the best of your player, you can be the best on strategy or get the best system in the world... There no system who's working with player playing at 50%, no one... So yes it's extremeluly important

Does motivation get the best out of them?

I'd suggest running systems that they fit in is better.

Was Keefe such a good motivator that Barrie turned his game around or did he run a system that was more offensive for him?

If the players need motivating, trade them all.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I see. This doesn't really seem like a list of grievances against the new guy, now does it?

That was your comment I was responding to.
Actually he shouldn’t have spoken like he did at the introduction presser.
Comments like they are not there to sell jerseys maybe knowing their hands were tied with the core. Firing Shanny on the spot was within his reach so that’s on him. The way Shanny handled the entire Dubas firing was comedy show material. Don’t get me wrong I wanted Dubas gone but Shanny should have been canned by the new guy for his handling of it.
The bottom line is they are just playing it back again with a different coach. I hope he makes a difference but the 2 coach’s with totally different styles failed to get them over the hump. So ya I’m not holding out much hope that this year will be much different

Reactions: myleafs and ToneDog

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Actually he shouldn’t have spoken like he did at the introduction presser.
Comments like they are not there to sell jerseys maybe knowing their hands were tied with the core. Firing Shanny on the spot was within his reach so that’s on him

Who did he replace again? When you say th new guys is like the old guy...who was the old guy and what did he say at his presser?

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Who did he replace again? When you say th new guys is like the old guy...who was the old guy and what did he say at his presser?
I don’t think the old guy said much or did many pressers so maybe the new guy should lead by action and not just be one more talking head

Reactions: myleafs

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
His record is terrible, no one speaks about him as a good coach, just that he is a good motivator and tough.

His best season is the season he had the least amount of time to influence the team, that is likely the biggest red flag I see, it is similar to Lou in New York, the team got worse the longer he had his influence over them (obviously a GM and coach are different and it is not a 1 to 1 comparison).

I won't pretend I know the styles of every coach, but watching St Loius under him I wasn't impressed.

Not like I watched a ton though, nor was I paying attention to systems, that is why I am not sure.

Every coach and manager has a shelf life.

Reactions: therealkoho

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I don’t think the old guy said much or did many pressers so maybe the new guy should lead by action and not just be one more talking head
Right. So the new guy (Pelley) addresses the media and fanbase and says things are going to be different and that it is not just about selling jerseys. Then they make about as much change as they possibly can (new coach(es), new captain, new D, new G, and room for young guys to break in. No extension for JT or MM and no saying that it is a priority). The last guy never held a presser or addressed the fan base.

How are these the same exactly?

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

Was Keefe such a good motivator that Barrie turned his game around or did he run a system that was more offensive for him?

being friendly and liked by player doesn't mean at all being a motivator. You need to be able to say the truth to your player and be fair with every... Exemple a night exemple nylander/matthews/marner taking a day off defensively , been able to say it and if needed made them missed couple of shift to send the message it would not be acceptable.

Be fair with every one is also a part a motivator for me.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
being friendly and liked by player doesn't mean at all being a motivator. You need to be able to say the truth to your player and be fair with every... Exemple a night exemple nylander/matthews/marner taking a day off defensively , been able to say it and if needed made them missed couple of shift to send the message it would not be acceptable.

Be fair with every one is also a part a motivator for me.

Too bad Berube could only motivate his team one year then I guess since that is the most important trait of a coach...

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

Be fair with every one is also a part a motivator for me
Too bad Berube could only motivate his team one year then I guess since that is the most important trait of a coach...

the next year he was first when covid-19 broke up everything and get the random covid empty arena playoff...

and after he lost the key player, the heart and the soul of his team, its similar than exemple removing Josi of Nashville amd hope to get similar result...

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
First of all Ryan is no authority on winning. Second, there is zero evidence this story has any truth to it whatsoever. It’s less substantiated than the reports around media scrutiny and some disagreement on coaching tactics were that you seem all so ready to cast aside to support your narrative.
Uhm what?

And what makes you think he's talking about 34, he could just as well be talking about 91. Oh an do you believe that he asked Nashville mgmt staff to try and put together an offer for 16?

When he left he said that there were things that needed to be addressed in the Leafs room, and I don't think he was talking US Mail

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

That St Louis team didn't have a whole lot of talent, but he pushed them over the finish line. The team for whatever reason responded to two things, the first of course was getting Yeo replaced who has proved again and again that he is not a head coach. The second thing was replacing Jake Allen with Jordan Binnington. Allen is just not a trusted starter, too many early goals and too many leads surrendered. Something like Johnny Burns the guy who was sold as a starter in waiting to the Leafs. Sadly a lot of LeaFlanders took a big bite out of that apple before checking for worm holes.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

13 and a half just ain't enough, but is enough to love Trawnna😉

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Uhm what?

And what makes you think he's talking about 34, he could just as well be talking about 91. Oh an do you believe that he asked Nashville mgmt staff to try and put together an offer for 16?

When he left he said that there were things that needed to be addressed in the Leafs room, and I don't think he was talking US Mail

He did not. And I never said anything about Matthews.

All players are going to need to be motivated by their coach to some extent. It’s kind of absurd to suggest otherwise. Conversely, coaching decisions can also demotivate.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad