Do you think this team is better or worse going into next season?

Do you think this team is better or worse going into next season?

• Total voters

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
Something not really talked about is that we got both JT and Marner in a contract year and we all know how players tend to up their game in a contract year. Could bode well for the Leafs. Really hoping JT rewinds the clock a bit.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The defense is absolutely improved.

Goaltending has the potential to be better - but is a big question mark (I still like the gamble/moves regardless)

Forwards worse, but depends on part in if any prospects make a strong early impact. Has the potential to get even worse if they have to trade Robertson for a pick

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
They’re better defensively and in goal.

Basically the same team at the forward position which may or may not lack depth depending on McMann, Robertson, Knies and possibly Cowan taking bigger steps next year. If the kids step up then they could be a better all around team.

One has to wonder how the Marner drama will affect the team. Things didn’t look good on the bench in the playoffs.

If the Marner situation begins to fester then it could become a distraction.

Reactions: arso40

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Knies-Matthews-Nylander
Tavares-Domi-Marner
McMann-Jarnkrok-Holmberg
Dewar-Kampf-Reaves

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Even if they hadn’t acquired a single player, the Leafs are MUCH better now that Bozo the Keefe is gone.

It’s a bonus that he stayed in the east - - now he can “coach” New Jersey to a bunch of first round flops. Assuming NJ can even manage to qualify for the playoffs.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Even if they hadn’t acquired a single player, the Leafs are MUCH better now that Bozo the Keefe is gone.

It’s a bonus that he stayed in the east - - now he can “coach” New Jersey to a bunch of first round flops. Assuming NJ can even manage to qualify for the playoffs.
Keefe wasn’t the problem. He wasn’t the solution either but he wasn’t the problem.

Reactions: Takurcitee

Killswitch

May 22, 2022
Absolutely better. Can't even begin to grasp how the opposite could be true. We have a defence and goaltending which helps the forwards. We have a coach who has actually won something before. Happy days

Reactions: arso40 and SprDaVE

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
You’re complaining about nothing changing because four players who can’t be moved are still here… no shit, they can’t be moved unless they want to be. Thanks for stating the obvious. The fact of the matter is the team is not the same even with the four core players still here. It’s not even close to the same team and it’s still going to change from now until the season starts.

That’s not even including whatever prospects can make the team out of camp. Not to mention a whole new coaching staff and a Stanley cup winning coach.
Dude quit it with your projection. What about this post is complaining?

They'll do some stuff in the regular season that'll be exciting and interesting for the blue and white goggle cheerleaders and then we'll see another inevitable early exit as the Core 4 + pawn shop squad team structure always does.

Stating an opinion is not complaining no matter how much you wanna try and tone police people. I'm not even saying anything about the core 4 changing or anything Tre can do about it, you're literally just putting these words in my mouth cause you're triggered my opinion is different than yours.

How the hell do people get through everyday life being this sensitive about everything?

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Better defense and goaltending. I think some of our in house scoring depth will surprise.

Similar playoff results.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Should be a bit better due to the defense.

Not too worry about goalies as long as Woll stays healthy.

Offence will once again be rely on AM and Willie to score goals, don't see them not scoring 100-115 goals combine.

PP should be better with OEL on PP1 instead of Reilly.

Depth scoring and having a balance top 9 will once again be a huge questions mark.

As I really don't think

Knies-AM-Domi
Robbie-JT-MM
McMann-Holmberg-Willie
Dewar-Kampf-Reaves

Thats not really a lineup that you can say, Cup or Bust.

Going to be a playoffs team but don't expect them to advance at this moment in time.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
While it's much easier to be optimistic than pessimistic, especially with the benefit of hindsight. I get the feeling that they're not better.

Take last year's team for example, many of us were excited about John Klingberg... he played 14 games. Going into last year... TJ Brodie was a VERY solid minute munching defenceman. His game tailed off pretty dramatically. Ilya Samsonov was coming off a year where he was 2.33 and .919 in 42 games... his numbers dropped off dramatically, although he was still able to get wins.

Our realistic opening night lineup is basically the following:
Knies-Matthews-Marner
McMann-Tavares-Nylander
Jarnkrok-Domi-Robertson
Holmberg-Kampf-Dewar

Rielly-Tanev
McCabe-OEL
Benoit-Liljegren

Woll-Stolarz

You look at the changes made..... and objectively, where can we say we have materially improved?

John Tavares, likely continues to take a step back.

Matthew Knies, we'd hope will take a step up.

Bobby McMann, likely not the player Tyler Bertuzzi was projected to be.

Tanev questionably an upgrade on what Brodie should have been.

OEL probably a downgrade on what Klingberg was expected to be.

Benoit roughly comparable to what Giordano was expected to be.

Woll we'd hope to continue developing, and Stolarz / Samsonov, both likely face similar "projections".

Beyond that, it's a lot of the same interchangable pieces up front with Reaves, Robertson, Holmberg, Gregor, Dewar.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Defense is definitely stronger.

Goaltending is a question but I think we improved...last years display between injuries and whatever the heck is wrong with Sammy's head is not a high bar to improve on.

Forwards are about the same. Yes we lost Bertuzzi but it is not like he was lighting the world on fire offensively. Matthews, Nylander and Marner will continue to dominate during the regular season. Keeping Domi was a good move and several of our young players in Knies, McMann and Robertson (if he stays) have potential to continue to improve.

Coaching should be interesting. I liked Keefe but Berube looks like the kind of guy who might be able to get the team to actually put in a consistent effort for a change of pace. Only time will tell on that one.

I would have to say that the team looks a little better on paper than they did last year.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Lots went wrong last year and we comfortably made the playoffs so I’m going to need you to elaborate on how exactly we fell apart?

Lots went spectacularly wrong in the playoffs and we still pushed a very good bruins team to the brink. Is anyone satisfied with losing round 1? No of course not.
Matt Murray could play 50 games for this team next season and they would still comfortably make the playoffs.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Better but it doesn’t matter because the core 4 are a joke when it matters….. playoffs

Life, death and first round exits

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
While it's much easier to be optimistic than pessimistic, especially with the benefit of hindsight. I get the feeling that they're not better.

Take last year's team for example, many of us were excited about John Klingberg... he played 14 games. Going into last year... TJ Brodie was a VERY solid minute munching defenceman. His game tailed off pretty dramatically. Ilya Samsonov was coming off a year where he was 2.33 and .919 in 42 games... his numbers dropped off dramatically, although he was still able to get wins.

Our realistic opening night lineup is basically the following:
Knies-Matthews-Marner
McMann-Tavares-Nylander
Jarnkrok-Domi-Robertson
Holmberg-Kampf-Dewar

Rielly-Tanev
McCabe-OEL
Benoit-Liljegren

Woll-Stolarz

You look at the changes made..... and objectively, where can we say we have materially improved?

John Tavares, likely continues to take a step back.

Matthew Knies, we'd hope will take a step up.

Bobby McMann, likely not the player Tyler Bertuzzi was projected to be.

Tanev questionably an upgrade on what Brodie should have been.

OEL probably a downgrade on what Klingberg was expected to be.

Benoit roughly comparable to what Giordano was expected to be.

Woll we'd hope to continue developing, and Stolarz / Samsonov, both likely face similar "projections".

Beyond that, it's a lot of the same interchangable pieces up front with Reaves, Robertson, Holmberg, Gregor, Dewar.

OEL is a 100% an upgrade on Klingberg because OEL can actually step on the ice, that automatically makes him an upgrade

it doesn't matter what Klingberg was expected to be because he didn't exist for 80% of the year, he literally got on a plane and never played again, a plane ended his seas, and probably his career.

I'm not even making fun of it, even though I know it reads that way but that's what happened.

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
Going INTO last season we are worse at forward and goaltending and better on D.

Were the same forward group minus Bertuzzi. Not sure how that can even be argued.

Our G going into last year was Woll and a 919 Sammy who won a playoff round. That is definitively better than what we have now. The goalies this year could shake out much worse than they did last year but GOING IN last year was better.

Our D is better but we likely handicapped our future for it.

f***ing team has no chance unless by some divine miracle the fraud 4 decide to play like they’re getting paid 46.5 f***ing million dollars.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Going INTO last season we are worse at forward and goaltending and better on D.

Were the same forward group minus Bertuzzi. Not sure how that can even be argued.

Our G going into last year was Woll and a 919 Sammy who won a playoff round. That is definitively better than what we have now. The goalies this year could shake out much worse than they did last year but GOING IN last year was better.

Our D is better but we likely handicapped our future for it.

f***ing team has no chance unless by some divine miracle the fraud 4 decide to play like they’re getting paid 46.5 f***ing million dollars.
Samsonov is a terrible goalie, just as Campbell before him was too. These guys are barely backups.

One year older, more experienced Woll and Stolarz is better than what we had last year. It can't get much worse than Samsonov as your starter. Glad him and his fish out of water positioning and no rebound control style is gone. He had among the worst high danger shot save percentages among all NHL goalies.

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
Samsonov is a terrible goalie, just as Campbell before him was too. These guys are barely backups.

One year older, more experienced Woll and Stolarz is better than what we had last year. It can't get much worse than Samsonov as your starter. Glad him and his fish out of water positioning and no rebound control style is gone. He had among the worst high danger shot save percentages among all NHL goalies.
No, going into last year we looked better than going into this year. Samsonov was fresh off a .919 season and stole us game 6 vs Tampa, something no goalie has done for us in 20 years. If you think 20 game Stolarz is better than that then I’d say you are using hindsight and not being objective about what we in fact had going into last season.

And I’m pretty sure Sammy had one of the highest high danger sv% in the year proceeding, which is what I’m talking about. Going in vs going in. And barely a backup is a perfect description of Stolarz by the way.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
We are better but haven't made the moves needed to win a cup. If we could move Tavares for Crosby and get Scott Stevens then Woll stays healthy we could make the semis at least

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

NJ actually has a lot of talent, probably a little more and distributed a little better than Leafs, but I can’t wait until the I hear about the PP sucking with “all that talent”!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad