Do you think this team is better or worse going into next season?

Do you think this team is better or worse going into next season?

• Total voters

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
Much better, They now have a NHL coach, and more than 1 defenseman. They have a slight chance of winning a round this year.

Still very far away from making a run, and their signings will make their chances significantly worse after a year or 2. Completely delusional management group.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The stars need to be more dialled in from a workmanlike perspective and the defense and goaltending needs to emerge as a strength, allowing the team a better foundation to do everything else. We’ll see.

Reactions: myleafs and arso40

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Same old stuff. New names and new hopes that people fall for every season.

Brodie was a very good defenseman for a long time. Just because he fell off doesn't change that fact. With that in mind, it's basically the same old supplementary changes. Tanev is great but so were Brodie or even Muzzin.

Did anyone claim they weren’t? When comparing to last season however, Muzzin did not play at all and Brodie was pretty bad. Not sure what them once being good for us has to do with comparing this year to last year?

The goalie tandem is built on hope that Woll doesn't get injured.

Yep, and pretty much everyone has acknowledged that. I actually wouldn’t sleep on Stolarz though. Not going to suggest he definitely takes this opportunity and really grabs it, but I see potential.

1-2 things go wrong and this team will fall apart again.

Lots went wrong last year and we comfortably made the playoffs so I’m going to need you to elaborate on how exactly we fell apart?

Lots went spectacularly wrong in the playoffs and we still pushed a very good bruins team to the brink. Is anyone satisfied with losing round 1? No of course not.

Even if things go right, I think they will likely still lose in the first round. The one positive is that Keefe is gone because he truly was a terrible playoff coach, which Berube should help with.

Losing round one is a possibly for sure, but without knowing how the new coaching goes or an opponent or how the new guys fit or what we do at the deadline, there’s literally nothing to base your loser, defeatist bs “I think they will likely lose in the first found, even if things go right” take on.

The same. Better D with a worse offence.

The D is improved by a much greater margin than the offense has been impacted. They lost Bertuzzi, big whoop. He was slow and just does not handle the puck well.

Goaltending has always potentially improved by a good amount over what we got last year.

Reactions: arso40 and ACC1224

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Did anyone claim they weren’t? When comparing to last season however, Muzzin did not play at all and Brodie was pretty bad. Not sure what them once being good for us has to do with comparing this year to last year?

Because the core didn’t do anything when those two were at the top of their game, nothing suggests Taney will change things on that end.

They went a step back with the two falling off and now a step forward.

A net neutral result and maybe worse cause the forward group looks worse.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Basically the same.

But more than anything, the same core group is still there, and until they make the meaningful move to alter the team's chemistry, the outlook and confidence the fans have will likely stay the same,

It does appear, as of now, that they're too afraid/prideful to make them.

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
I literally mentioned nothing about Tre or anything he could do about it, just said that it's likely going to be the same result as the last 8 years.

You're literally getting triggered at things I never even said, that doesn't look You’re complaining about something that can’t be changed and stating the obvious that the four core players who can’t be moved are still here… no shit, you can’t trade them.
You’re complaining about nothing changing because four players who can’t be moved are still here… no shit, they can’t be moved unless they want to be. Thanks for stating the obvious. The fact of the matter is the team is not the same even with the four core players still here. It’s not even close to the same team and it’s still going to change from now until the season starts.

That’s not even including whatever prospects can make the team out of camp. Not to mention a whole new coaching staff and a Stanley cup winning coach.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Brodie was gawd awful in the playoffs the year before last. He was a big concern going into the season and when they didn’t trade him last off season we had hopes that he’d do well enough to be a trade deadline move.
Meh, he was insane against tampa but struggled heavily against florida. He had a solid regular season, but nothing too special

Yes it was time to move on, but he wasn’t sooo bad last offseason to the point I’d expect him to be unplayable, his fall off was hard this season

Reactions: myleafs

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
And what's your point? You're comparing Brodie to Tanev which is not comparable in any way, shape or form. Tanev is better and has always been better, Tanev is one of if not the best defensive d-man in the league and has been for a long time now, Brodie is not. Tanev is the same age and hasn't fallen off, plus you don't even know if Brodie fell off he could be a completely different player in Chicago.
My point is is Rielly-Brodie really much worse than Rielly-Tanev? From last years you could argue it will be because they weren’t that great but 2020-2021 and 2021-2022 Rielly-brodie was an elite pairing and I don’t expect tanev to do much better considering his age and our current makeup of the team.

I’m not claiming tanev is worse than brodie, I’m claiming a pairing or Rielly and him vs Rielly And Brodie isn’t as big of an upgrade as it seems. Tanev went from playing on a stacked Dallas defence where he played 19 minutes in the RS and 22 in the playoffs. Whereas brodie averaged 21 pretty consistently here, and in the playoffs he averaged 23. Can a 35 year old tanev take those minutes? I’m skeptical.

and while brodie CAN be a different player in Chicago, I wouldn’t bet on it. His footspeed mixed with his inability to use his body to seperate his man and the puck made it hard for him to play any pairing, unless we see a stylistic change, idk how effective he will be.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Meh, he was insane against tampa but struggled heavily against florida. He had a solid regular season, but nothing too special

Yes it was time to move on, but he wasn’t sooo bad last offseason to the point I’d expect him to be unplayable, his fall off was hard this season
After he returned from injury he was terrible. He lost two steps.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
A lot will depend on how they adapt to Berube style hockey.
I'll pass on voting because I believe better/worse/same are all around equal odds.

Reactions: myleafs

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Well, I think we're almost definitely getting less production from Willy and Auston, pretty hard to top

Goaltending was almost a disaster last year. Perhaps we see better health this time. Sammy was terrible then bounced back.

D appears to be improved knowing what we know about Brodie and replacing that with Tanev

F appears to be worse

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Yep, and pretty much everyone has acknowledged that. I actually wouldn’t sleep on Stolarz though. Not going to suggest he definitely takes this opportunity and really grabs it, but I see potential.

Lots went wrong last year and we comfortably made the playoffs so I’m going to need you to elaborate on how exactly we fell apart?

Lots went spectacularly wrong in the playoffs and we still pushed a very good bruins team to the brink. Is anyone satisfied with losing round 1? No of course not.

Losing round one is a possibly for sure, but without knowing how the new coaching goes or an opponent or how the new guys fit or what we do at the deadline, there’s literally nothing to base your loser, defeatist bs “I think they will likely lose in the first found, even if things go right” take on.

The D is improved by a much greater margin than the offense has been impacted. They lost Bertuzzi, big whoop. He was slow and just does not handle the puck well.

Goaltending has always potentially improved by a good amount over what we got last year.

We have an 8 year sample size with this loser core that suggests it doesn’t matter who is around them, and that a 1st round exit is very likely. I can’t believe how people keep getting duped “oh next season will be different” Oh and Boston wasn't very good. They got dispatched fairly easily by a real SC contender.

Reactions: hamzarocks

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Definitely better because of the new coach. He gives every underachiever on the club a chance for a reset. Stolarz hasn't been proven over a large sample but he will be better than Sami. Tanev, for at least this year, will be better than last season's Brodie. They still have work to do and I fear it won't be until the TDL but they should still win 50, and will show something different in the playoffs.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
imo weather were better or not probably depends on a 34 turning 35 year old in Tanev. if he's as advertised were probably a little better. if this is the season he starts his regression wer probably are basically the same team, only other guy who could make a significant difference would be Woll or Stolarz

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Our D has the chance to be much improved.
Goaltending is no worse than last year...wait and see if Woll can play 45 games.
Coaching can potentially have an impact on our forwards. We are likely a year away before you g players are ready to make a good impact. Can McMann play 75 games?
Will Knies continue upward trend.
There are no players in bottom 6 capable of real top 6 potential.
There is no room for Steeves etc from Marlies to have a chance. There must be a package of guys that can be used to trade for impact player. If Kampf plays like last year he must go at 2.4m. Cowan and Minten cannot make this team. Not one young player will be given an opportunity. Too many mediocre vets.
Here's hoping Berubè can be a positive impact.
He has never played more than 37 and that was for boston college 6 years ago, he played 32 the following year and since then has not played more than 28 in a season so it seems like a bit of a stretch to expect him to all of a sudden be able to play 45 as a starter in the nhl.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
They'll do some stuff in the regular season that'll be exciting and interesting for the blue and white goggle cheerleaders and then we'll see another inevitable early exit as the Core 4 + pawn shop squad team structure always does.
Florida is pretty consistent in their approach to both the regular season and the playoffs. I would like to see the Leafs show that during the season and make it obvious that this is a playoff team, that would peak my interest......however..... I really don't believe the core have it in them. I want to be proven wrong, but it feels like its just gonna be the same old same old.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
What? You can't be serious... You just compared Tanev and Brodie as similar you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

You're crying about the core 4 that can't be changed until next year (which you know) so unless you just like bitching what's the point of your comment? Who's really the Karen?
Brodie from 3-4 seasons ago was very very good

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Same shi*, different year. Woll is the only thing that could make this year different. If he is a dominant #1... anything can happen. Otherwise I expect nothing different.
I was going to agree with you, but as I started writing I realized that I didn't.

I agree that Woll and goaltending are the biggest variable with upside. If they struggle with health and consistency like last year then we will have to outscore our troubles again and it may be same shi*, different year as you say. If they stay healthy and play to career norms (small sample sizes) we will have the best goaltending we have had in years.

Our D is greatly improved. We are swapping Brodie, Klingberg, and Giordano for Tanev, OEL, and Haakanpaa. That's a win, even if Haakanpaa starts on IR. We also get a full year of Benoit and continued growth from Lily. Don't underestimate the impact having more depth will have on Rielly and McCabe also.

We scored the second most goals in the league last year and only lost Bertuzzi and his 20 goals. Our F group should benefit from some kids knocking on the door as well as internal improvement as Knies, McMann, Robertson and Holmberg continue to develop. We could also hope to get the Domi from the second half for the full season.

Most importantly, we have a new coaching staff and head coach. This could be a very different team this year and it could be much better.

Reactions: arso40

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad