Do you like The Hockey Guy?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Do you like The Hockey Guy?

• Yes

Votes: 213 71.5%
  • No

Votes: 85 28.5%

• Total voters

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
The thing is its not that he's a guy with the best takes, or insider knowledge, its that you get all the news of the day, interesting history, and plenty of videos where he has some kind of analysis of league-wide phenomena that is very balanced. He's got consistency, the lack of unnecessarily fast editing, no gambling talk - its a refuge that we need today. I think he has an essential niche and while he might not be the most exciting person, he knows the game and he's a great way to stay on top of the hockey world.

Reactions: DaveG

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
You had to be there.

It was like Wayne's World but in real-life.

His show was on the Rogers community cable access channel. His guests were the most random local people. His co-stars were his buddies. One guy would just stand there drinking coffee with funky music playing for a little while and then leave.

His shenanigans on the streets of Ottawa were funny because sometimes you'd see him out there or you'd recognize where he was.

The way he used his parents in his skits was both hilarious and cringeworthy.

Tom Green was kind of the original jackass.

The junior high version of me loved his show. It was different than the other comedy I would find at the time.

Reactions: sanscosm and DaveG

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I like the guy. I think I'd watch more if he interjected his opinion a bit more often because he's one of the few that have at least reasonably educated takes on YT. Mind you a reasonable take for YT is probably just a surface level take on here but it is what it is as far as that goes

Last edited:

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
I like him. I understand he's not everyone's cup of tea, and he's not the type of big personality that usually does well on these types of platforms. But I think he's a breath of fresh air in the sports space that is dominated by blowhards, hot takes, and general lowest common denominator hot takes and rage bait. All that other content creates a very real need for something devoid of all that, and Shannon is just that: a relatively unbiased voice of reason. And I'd much rather spend time supporting a small time content creator who seems very genuine (and transparent) hockey fan than give hits to TSN.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
He's ok but very dry. I got bored with him.

The fact that he's so popular shows you how terrible the hockey content is out there. 90% of us can do what he does. He goes over games and tells exactly what happened. There's literally no knowledge needed and he's not charismatic in any way. I only said 90% because some people have stage fright.

Reactions: BlueBaron

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
It's not a critique of his hockey knowledge, but I get tired of him just reading off his board.

He would do better with less content with a deeper dive on each subject imo. Also going off the cuff more.

I just find it a little too clinical and pre-planned for my taste.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I like him. I understand he's not everyone's cup of tea, and he's not the type of big personality that usually does well on these types of platforms. But I think he's a breath of fresh air in the sports space that is dominated by blowhards, hot takes, and general lowest common denominator hot takes and rage bait. All that other content creates a very real need for something devoid of all that, and Shannon is just that: a relatively unbiased voice of reason. And I'd much rather spend time supporting a small time content creator who seems very genuine (and transparent) hockey fan than give hits to TSN.

The click bait headlines on YouTube hockey channels are so obnoxious and prevalent.

I end up not even clicking on many YouTube hockey videos primarily because of that.

The fact that he's so popular shows you how terrible the hockey content is out there. 90% of us can do what he does. He goes over games and tells exactly what happened. There's literally no knowledge needed and he's not charismatic in any way. I only said 90% because some people have stage fright.

I would not be a happy camper if I was reviewing every single game, tbh, but he seems to enjoy it, and it seems like he's able to make a living off of what he does, so kudos to him.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He’s ok. Seems like a nice guy and I admire his passion and dedication to his channel. All he does is read box score stats though and doesn’t really give any real analysis.
Damn, does he make money on his videos? That sounds like something I can do!

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
You assign a positive value to receiving bad information?
Oh absolutely since I don’t just believe everything I hear. It’s like poker, you like to know what the opponent looks like when he’s telling the truth and when he’s lying. You also like to know when you’re good what you’re trying to do something and you get negative feedback via losing money.

It’s all useful if you pay attention and can find a use for that information.

Damn, does he make money on his videos? That sounds like something I can do!

Yes, I have a feeling if HFB did YT vids and had like 2-3 knowledgeable fans per team helping, it would be the best hockey show in the history of the NHL.

Last edited:

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I appreciate what he does and having listened to him years ago and hearing his story .. I root for him.

But I don’t find his coverage that insightful or in depth at all, and outright wrong at times. Good for someone newer to the sport though.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I appreciate what he does and having listened to him years ago and hearing his story .. I root for him.

But I don’t find his coverage that insightful or in depth at all, and outright wrong at times. Good for someone newer to the sport though.
The bolded part is bad for someone newer to the sport. You should never start with a foundation that's wrong. He's easily consumed hockey "content" for people that don't know just how shallow and vague to the point of wrong he often is.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
The bolded part is bad for someone newer to the sport. You should never start with a foundation that's wrong. He's easily consumed hockey "content" for people that don't know just how shallow and vague to the point of wrong he often is.

When it comes to learning the sport he’s fine. It’s not like he says things like “when they pull the goalie it’s a penalty” or some other obvious BS. More like minutia details that only a fan of said team would know about. So yes he shouldn’t overextend himself when he doesn’t really know what he’s talking about, but at the end of the day it’s not a huge deal.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
I don't follow much of his content, but from what I've seen he seems like a nice guy who does surface level recaps and news on a very frequent basis. Sometimes it's a bit too much just reading stuff off of his white board, whether stats or boxscores.

You have to appreciate him though for acting like a normal adult, meaning not screaming into the camera like a man-child and/or playing dumb characters, like Steve Glynn.

I'm sure he's better than 90% of the main board here on this site, which is a very low bar to clear though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad