Do you like The Hockey Guy?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Do you like The Hockey Guy?

• Yes

Votes: 214 71.6%
  • No

Votes: 85 28.4%

• Total voters

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Basically the guy has no real knowledge and just gives surface-level talks.

He does two things:
Summarize stuff
Say some whatever talk just slightly over reading what a box score says

His videos also are super-low effort, just him rambling on about what anyone could see.

Fortunately or unfortunately, reading HF for 30 min gives more information (good or bad) than watching THG for a year.

But, grading on a curve, most channels are too speculative and us HFBers are all "well-experienced" in speculation of HFB, especially in team forums and the Trade forum, that he is above average because the curve is so low.

Last edited:

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
He always pops up on my YouTube, but I never watched. Then because of this thread I clicked on his first video; a preview of the Canes. First thing I see is a white board with unintelligible writing and him talking about the Jarvis deferred contract,
which he says in his first five sentences the ninth year ‘disappears’, and is cap circumvention.

So I voted no because he doesn’t seem to: a) know what he’s talking about; b) bother to present his channel is a viewer friendly way; or 3) bother to do any research for his show.

That was after 5 seconds. Go ahead and convince me I’ve been too hasty in my judgement.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I’ll sometimes listen to his videos in the background while I’m doing something. The only YouTuber I really enjoy is Jonathan Hawkey

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yes.

I watch every video.

my only criticism is that sometimes he seems to go a little easy or undersells how bad of a team a certain hockey club or bad player may be. Like last year he was calling Arizona a very good roster before the season started. Couldn’t tell if he was trolling or not in response to people calling him out for it after he said it the first time. Because he emphasized it several times in different videos.

And in the Stanley Cup pressure rankings video he put out a few hours ago, he said something like “I’m not saying Soderblom is a bad goalie, I just think Brossoit is an upgrade”. But Soderblom IS a bad goalie lol. I understand he has to go easy because he doesn’t wanna alienate people of certain fanbases and I understand why he wouldn’t get on there and say this guy sucks and that guy sucks. But there’s a few weird things once in a while.

And I only talk about my criticisms and the bad with him because I believe the good far outweighs the negatives.

Reactions: xigon

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I actually like that he uses the board and fills it up with different things that he rights down.

To me it shows that he puts real effort into what he’s doing and isn’t just making a video and that’s it.

I admire his preparation in filling out the white board for videos.

I also enjoy his videos he’s done regarding people non-on ice disgraced personalities from the past like Eddie Livingstone, Harold Ballard and Alan Eagleson. They’re all before my time (well, the end of Eagleson and Ballard probably isn’t) and between most of that predating my hockey watching, as well as not being from Canada I didn’t really learn about all those guys and how much they pissed off the others owners and/or players.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
So like, in your opinion Dennis Maruk's best season >>> Sidney Crosby's best season?

You think that's viable?

Did Crosby score more points in his best season?

If not, then yes. Maruk had a better season. Not difficult

You can argue this in different ways, like Crosby has more art ross trophies, but I’m not going to shit on anyone who scored 60 goals.

There is literally nothing stopping Crosby from doing that, especially when his contemporaries have done it.

Ovechkin did it
Stamkos did it
Pasta did it
McDavid has done it

Matthews did it twice

Crosby couldn’t do it

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
I like him as a person more than I do as a hockey youtuber tbh. I find myself watching more of his personal content on his other channel. His content is good for people that don't wanna dig too deep or may have missed a few games the night before and want a simple rundown. It's pretty tough to go too in depth about anything when you're covering such a wide range of content on a daily basis like he is.

Jun 15, 2007
It's impossible to follow every team. If you're for example, a Minnesota Wild fan, why would you watch a guy talk about the team when he knows so much less than you about it?

He seems like a nice guy but I have no idea why he has a following or why anyone cares.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
I've seen a few videos but I can't remember anything about them. I'd say I'm indifferent. In fact, I really only subscribe to one hockey channel (Odd Man Rush) and I don't even watch it that often tbh.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I appreciate how hard he works but I don’t find him overly interesting to listen. I guess I just prefer someone that has opinions. He plays it a bit too safe for my liking but it appeals to a wide base.

I really don’t like the videos where he recaps games though. Its just easier to look at a webpage or app …

Reactions: SENStastic

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
He doesn't really provide any meanjngful analysis. Just feels like he is reading hockey tweets.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I used to like him but honestly I've grown bored by his content the last while and don't really watch anymore. He basically just states facts and never anything more. Rarely gives any sort of spicy take, and just isn't very interesting anymore.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
There aren't many hockey youtuber guys and he's probably the most well known outside of Dangle. He's a bit bland and rarely has a hot take, I appreciate that he isn't a Devils hater which a lot of "hockey historians" are.
There's actually quite a few but they don't go to the level he does. Most just talk about specific things that happens here and there in hockey. A big signing, a crazy night that happened for a player etc. Shannon goes all out, every single day and uploads 4 or 5 videos a day it feels like. He's an animal when it comes to content. I don't watch him much but I can appreciate the youtube grind. He likely spends 12 hours a day talking, editing and uploading.

Reactions: DaveG

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
He's alright. I don't watch every one of his videos, but there's quite a bit to like about a guy who is just a guy in today's age of youtubers/social media influencers. And by all accounts he's a good dude off camera which counts for some people.

Just a dude rambling about his favorite thing in the world while writing on a whiteboard. Kinda reminds me of the early days of youtube honestly. I do like the videos where he does a quick and dirty retrospect of relatively random players from the 80s and season recaps. No catch, no fakeness, just a dude with several closets full of hockey jerseys.

Hockey youtube as a whole is pretty grim though. It's basically him, Dangle (hate his leaf shtick all you want but when he's not doing a character he's actually pretty solid) and then this newer Pinholes Graham guy who does SBnation/Secret Base styled videos on matchups from playoffs past.

Would kill for some more creators in the hockey space like baseball has. So many channels/creators that do legitimately great work like Foolish Baseball, Jolly Olive, etc instead of the shitty clickbaiters hockey gets. "THIS just ended a team's season" "X team is in TROUBLE." garbage.

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad