Do you like The Hockey Guy?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Do you like The Hockey Guy?

• Yes

Votes: 214 71.6%
  • No

Votes: 85 28.4%

• Total voters

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I need more options than yes or no. I don't watch most of his content but I don't dislike him. I'll watch him if one of his videos is a topic I'm interested in and I happen upon it, but I won't seek it out.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I like the guy but most of his videos seem to not contain a lot of info in the grand scheme of things. For a guy who watches as much hockey I'd want a complete scouting report of the players in a trade and more than a wall of numbers. Good for casual fan I guess

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
His most interesting videos are probably when he covers his jersey collection.

I usually go several weeks/months without watching any of his content, but then the algorithm will show some suggested video which might catch my eye.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
He's not bad, comparatively speaking. I mean, it's not easy to be popular and not piss a lot of people off. That's a rare talent. No knock against him if he's not that.
There's all different types of options. He's the option that gives you just stats and facts for the most part. Nothing wrong that.
I think his best videos are when he gives his team rankings (which is week to week). Now he does give more of his opinion in those, and I think it's pretty entertaining.

Reactions: CanucksMJL

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I generally enjoy his content. He usually has pretty reasonable perspectives on stories around the league and his recap videos are a good way to get the gist of what happened in games I missed. He's not the most mind-blowingly knowledgeable guy (though he clearly does his research when he has to) and I skip most of his videos that primarily pertain to teams I don't follow, but I respect his dedication and appreciate his simple, honest, no-clickbait format.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I remember a coworker years ago who came from Ottawa and just praised Tom Green as the best ever but man I just could never get into a guy who is less funny than I am and I have a day job.

You had to be there.

It was like Wayne's World but in real-life.

His show was on the Rogers community cable access channel. His guests were the most random local people. His co-stars were his buddies. One guy would just stand there drinking coffee with funky music playing for a little while and then leave.

His shenanigans on the streets of Ottawa were funny because sometimes you'd see him out there or you'd recognize where he was.

The way he used his parents in his skits was both hilarious and cringeworthy.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
You had to be there.

It was like Wayne's World but in real-life.

His show was on the Rogers community cable access channel. His guests were the most random local people. His co-stars were his buddies. One guy would just stand there drinking coffee with funky music playing for a little while and then leave.

His shenanigans on the streets of Ottawa were funny because sometimes you'd see him out there or you'd recognize where he was.

The way he used his parents in his skits was both hilarious and cringeworthy.
Sure maybe it's like Kenny vs. Spenny, which I personally like alot but for most people they either love it or hate it.

Reactions: DaveG

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
He's alright. Generally pretty positive attitude type channel, good polite Canadian boy that won't say anything to upset anyone really. Very bland.

His whole shtick is writing a bunch of stats he gets from online or some hockey magazine on his whiteboard, and reading them back to the audience. That's pretty much all he does. But you can tell he's a long time dedicated fan and loves the game and very passionate about it. Still don't get the whole 3 fav team part, seems so random to cheer for Van, Bos and Dallas all at the same time..

Decent for a quick update on latest news and activities in the nhl on any given day tho, he's very consistent on that.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Well that clears things up.

But I get what you are saying.

Wow I googled it and found out it's more than 250 and he is from my neck of the woods in the valley here.

Here is a breakdown according to this reddit expert.

1. Buffalo: 22
  2. Vancouver: 20
  3. Los Angeles: 19
  4. Montreal & Ottawa: 17
  5. Boston & Edmonton: 16
  6. Chicago, Dallas, Pittsburgh & Toronto: 15
  7. Columbus, Tampa Bay & Washington: 14
  8. Carolina, Minnesota & New York I.: 13
  9. Nashville, St. Louis & Winnipeg: 12
  10. Arizona, Calgary, Colorado, New Jersey & San Jose: 11
  11. Anaheim, New York R., Philadelphia & Vegas: 10
  12. Florida: 9
  13. Detroit: 8
  14. Various NHL All Star Jerseys: 4
  15. Seattle: 3
  16. California Seals, Atlanta Thrashers, Quebec Nordiques, O.G. Winnipeg Jets, Minnesota North Stars, Chilliwack Chiefs, Cleveland Barons, Grand Rapids Griffins, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, Vancouver Giants, Rochester Americans, Starfleet Red Shirts, Humboldt Broncos, Utica Comets, Colorado Rockies, Springfield Isotopes & Atlanta Flames: 1

Reactions: avsfan09 and DaveG

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
He's alright. Generally pretty positive attitude type channel, good polite Canadian boy that won't say anything to upset anyone really. Very bland.

His whole shtick is writing a bunch of stats he gets from online or some hockey magazine on his whiteboard, and reading them back to the audience. That's pretty much all he does. But you can tell he's a long time dedicated fan and loves the game and very passionate about it. Still don't get the whole 3 fav team part, seems so random to cheer for Van, Bos and Dallas all at the same time..

Decent for a quick update on latest news and activities in the nhl on any given day tho, he's very consistent on that.

He was a Canucks fan during the 1980s. That team had a history of futility, and I think he adopted the Bruins as his alternative team after the Neely trade. I have no idea why he was a North Stars fan.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
As I had started becoming more of a hockey nerd, I watched/listened to a lot of his videos. I was interested in learning more about former players/those who I grew up with not the least and he had lots of videos about them. I too figured eventually that there wasn’t a lot to be had beyond the stats up on his whiteboard. Agreed with previous sentiments in this thread.

But he seems like a nice guy.

slapKing

Feb 12, 2020
Canada
He was a Canucks fan during the 1980s. That team had a history of futility, and I think he adopted the Bruins as his alternative team after the Neely trade. I have no idea why he was a North Stars fan.

Another reason he became a bruins fan if I remember correctly is because his late father was a Habs fan. The Neely trade was of course another big reason

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
He's good if you want to consume some hockey content but you want to just listen to it instead of having to read it so that you're freed up to do something else. He doesn't offer much deep analysis though because he covers the whole league and a lot of his output is just him reading off statistics. But he can be useful if you want recaps every day of the previous day's games because he churns out videos constantly.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad