Do the Oilers miss the playoffs again...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Could go either way, honestly.

McDavid is going to be McDavid. Nuge I think is a safe bet for 60+ points if he’s on his wing all season.

For me it pretty much hinges on Talbot and Klefbom. I don’t know if they’re as good as the 16/17 season would indicate, but I seriously doubt last season represents their level of play either.

Lots of question marks - Lucic, the RW’s, Bear/Bouchard, Koskinen. The plus of Sekera being out again is if we stumble out of the gate we have some cap space to make a move.

I think they sneak into a wildcard spot, but it’s going to be a battle. SJ seriously improved and are about the only lock in the Pacific, in my opinion.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If guys like Khaira or Reider are depth on some of the worst teams in the league, where do you think they end up on a decent team? Injury callups, wouldn't you say?

i honestly don't think these guys make other teams.

so really, your disagreements lie in the veteran 4th liners, that were basically signed to kill penalties. When they're 35 years old, you have to be careful, it's fully possible you get into the season, and they're just not able to play anymore.

Khaira and Reider are NHL caliber players. They are a step above the Aberg's and Cagguilla's. I question if you know anything about these guys at all if your only reasoning is that they played for poor teams.

I agree you have to be careful with older players, but you are writing them off based on their age alone, suggesting that they aren't NHL'ers when they were only a few months ago.

Your logic is extremely flawed.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
3 (Rattie, Lucic & Reider) of the top 4 wingers on the Oilers are 3rd (Lucic) or 4th (Rieder & Rattie) liners on most clubs; that lineup is brutal...
The Oilers top wingers are Nugent-Hopkins, Pulujarvi, Reider, Lucic, and Rattie only if his chemistry with McDavid continues. If Nuge and McDavid click with Rattie, who cares if he is an AHL'er in other organizations. We'll take a 1 million dollar top line player because of chemistry any day of the week. If he doesn't stick there, he may not stick at all, so you can't really call him a top winger if that doesn't happen. Reider is a good middle six winger, I don't know what the complaints would be with him. Lucic all depends on if he returns to form. You are correct that he is brutal for us if he plays like he did last year. If he plays like he did two years ago, there is no issue here. Pulujarvi looks better in camp this year. True, its only camp, but if he actually does break through this year that helps us a lot.

Our wing depth isn't good. But its our goalies and blueline that will make or break us, not having below par wingers supporting our centres.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Patrick Maroon scored damn near 30 goals playing with Mcdavid and hes not a great hockey player. Never under estimate what superstar players can do for average NHLers. I don't expect Rattie to be anything special, but if he could be half of what Cheecho was with Thornton then its already a win.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Patrick Maroon scored damn near 30 goals playing with Mcdavid and hes not a great hockey player. Never under estimate what superstar players can do for average NHLers. I don't expect Rattie to be anything special, but if he could be half of what Cheecho was with Thornton then its already a win.

I guess 2018-19 will be the "Ty Rattie" Era in Edmonton...

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Oilers gonna suck this year like they always do.

The more appropriate title to this thread should be:

Do the Leafs win a playoff series again ?

13 years and counting.

Oilers have won 4 series in that timespan

0-13
4-13 despite missing the playoffs for 11 of em.

:biglaugh:

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Someone

Jul 11, 2007
What really changed from last season?

The changes are about as drastic as the previous offseason. Last year saw injuries and poor performances from lots of important players (top 3 defenders, starting goalie, most of the wingers). Sekera isn't coming back this year, and likely won't ever get back to the player he was, but Nurse might come close to replacing 16/17 Sekera. Klef and Larsson are healthy so far, and could really help stabilize the back end. Talbot looms sharper so far in camp. Pulju looks ready to step up. If things break right, we could see some of our major holes plugged by internal options.

Of course, the past 13 or so years of being an Oilers fan tempers those expectations. We're a McDavid injury and repeat year by Talbot away from last place again. It really will take almost everything going right to grab a wildcard spot.

Reactions: Hippasus

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Almost forgot. Oilers have been the best Western team against the west the past 2 years.

They are gonna take the division with Connor going beast and Talbot back.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
who the heck is McJesus playing with this season?

RNH and Ty Rattie. In my opinion it looks as though they have finally found another line that works with him, haven't had that since Maroon left, and even he was not the same player last season.

Rattie has the offensive ability in my opinion, but has never had the opportunity to showcase it because he has been stuck in the bottom six for most of his other looks in the NHL.

RNH scored 24 goals in 62 games last season... so a 30 goal pace for a full season. Yes it was a career high blah blah but it was also the first time he got to play on the same line as Mcdavid. I expect big things from him this year.

Reactions: Hippasus

Brian McDavid

Aug 4, 2017
Oil City Roadhouse
they aren't.

Tobias Reider - would't have ever played a full season if he wasn't playing for Arizona.

ty Rattie - journeyman NHLer with a career high of 14 games. He's never played more than 13 games in a season for anyone other than the Oilers. Most definitely not NHL material.

Khaira - serves no purpose.

Caggiula - undersized player that scores 20 points in a season. He wouldn't make another NHL team.

Brodziak - averages 20 points a season. Sure, make him your 13th forward if you want and use him on the PK.

Aberg - 24 years old, traded for Mark Letestu (LOL), hasn't fully cracked an NHL roster.

Upshall - going on 35, on his very last legs, hasnt' cracked 20 points in his last 4 seasons. should probably just hang up the skates.

Chiasson - not even sure what to tell you. We saw Senators fans get excited about him, they changed their tune quickly. SENATORS FANS TURNED THEIR NOSES UP AT HIM. Have you seen their team? He's completely useless.
You've made it quite evident you don't watch much hockey... I do like your handle though.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I think the Oilers make the playoffs this year. McDavid's still getting better. Talbot's going to be better this year. If they can start strong and get some confidence they'll be in.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Below average defence with mediocre goal tending, just miss or are a bubble team. Essentially they are in the same boat as Toronto with less depth

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Below average defence with mediocre goal tending, just miss or are a bubble team. Essentially they are in the same boat as Toronto with less depth

upload_2018-9-21_18-24-31.png

If being #12 in the league made the Leafs D and G "below average" and "mediocre" I don't want to imagine what the Oilers D and G would be. Hopefully McDavid still has some passion for the game left when he comes home to TO in 7 years. God knows being on a shitty team can suck it out of ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad