Prospect Info: Dmitri Kostenko, RHD, - (Traded KHL Spartak 2024-2025)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
so it's only been 3 games and all but Kostenko currently is the top scoring D in the VHL, only 4 skaters have 1 more pt then him and 1 of them played in 1 more game.

If he keeps this up hopefully not only does it get him some KHL games but a shot at making the WJC's since this would be his only shot since he's about to turn 19 in a few days.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
so it's only been 3 games and all but Kostenko currently is the top scoring D in the VHL, only 4 skaters have 1 more pt then him and 1 of them played in 1 more game.

If he keeps this up hopefully not only does it get him some KHL games but a shot at making the WJC's since this would be his only shot since he's about to turn 19 in a few days.
Not making the final team for the 4 nation tournament makes me fear he might not be in the good graces for whatever reason . We'll see I guess, if his stats are too good to ignore the federation might feel obligated to include him .

Reactions: bopeep

bopeep

Jan 22, 2004
bc

I don't know whether moving up to the KHL is better for his development at this point, as he's getting solid minutes and opportunities to work on his deficiencies presently. Time will tell. It would be great to see him make the WJC squad

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Not making the final team for the 4 nation tournament makes me fear he might not be in the good graces for whatever reason . We'll see I guess, if his stats are too good to ignore the federation might feel obligated to include him .

seems as though he was one of the final cuts so if he has a strong season that should certainly help his cause as I assume he's on the bubble.

I don't know whether moving up to the KHL is better for his development at this point, as he's getting solid minutes and opportunities to work on his deficiencies presently. Time will tell. It would be great to see him make the WJC squad

It's a tough call, what I would like to see is him continue to produce well in the VHL on the top pairing and at some point if he's doing that then you want to see him challenged in the KHL as I'm not sure how strong the VHL really is since I don't follow it that much. Kostenko since moving up to the VHL last season he has produced well with 14 pts in 43 games so if he continues to produce at such a high level then at some point you would want to see how he can handle the KHL. If he never plays in the KHL this year then so be it as he clearly has some things he needs to work on and I was not a fan of how they handled Romanov in the KHL so you clearly don't want that but a few games later in the season would be interesting to see how he does.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
One thing to remember is that there are far fewer teenage defencemen who make the KHL than teenage forwards. It usually takes the D a little longer. So nothing wrong with him being in the VHL.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
Already halfway to his last season total points in 40 gp. Already doubled his goals total, which wasn't that hard as he had only 1 last year.
Wow, so was he playing as a 17 in the VHL last year? :dunno:

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
Last year:
MHL 10gp 1-8-9 +1
VHL 40gp 1-9-10 +6

This year:
VHL 4gp 2-3-5 +2
Oh so he started off in juniors and got called up. I have no clue how often that would happen in the Russian leagues.

I wonder if we hit another gem like we did with Romano?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Oh so he started off in juniors and got called up. I have no clue how often that would happen in the Russian leagues.

I wonder if we hit another gem like we did with Romano?

Romanov was playing KHL in his D+1 though, not VHL.

Kostenko definitely is a more offensive D than Romanov though.

Also keep in mind Romanov was with CSKA who has won 1 Gagarin cup plus 3 finals in the 13 years of KHL existence, while Spartak Moskva (who own Kostenko rights) only made it out the 2nd round in their first 2 years in the KHL (2009 and 2010) and never made it out of the first round after that (if they even made the PO).

Reactions: jaffy27 and 19VJ17

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
Romanov was playing KHL in his D+1 though, not VHL.

Kostenko definitely is a more offensive D than Romanov though.

Also keep in mind Romanov was with CSKA who has won 1 Gagarin cup plus 3 finals in the 13 years of KHL existence, while Spartak Moskva (who own Kostenko rights) only made it out the 2nd round in their first 2 years in the KHL (2009 and 2010) and never made it out of the first round after that (if they even made the PO).
Thanks for the awesome info:thumbu:

Does anyone know if Kostenko is on the Russian radar to play the World Junior Championship?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Does anyone know if Kostenko is on the Russian radar to play the World Junior Championship?

I wouldn't expect him to be on the Russian WJC roster. He was on their roster for the 4-Nations tournament a few weeks ago, but was seemingly cut before the tournament began. So that tells you that there are others they prefer over him.

Unless he plays his way onto the roster and he's off to a really good start. So who knows. But I'd put the chances more on him not being at the WJC then being there.

Reactions: 19VJ17

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
continues to lead the league in points for defensemen, tied for the team lead in points, 2 pts away from the league lead.

Wow, so was he playing as a 17 in the VHL last year? :dunno:

yes he played 8 games in his age 17 season but he's a late birth date so this is his age 19 season as he turns 19 in 11 days.

yes, he's clearly on their radar but it according to one of the Russian posters I asked, he seems to be on the bubble.

Reactions: 19VJ17

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
MHL or VHL, which league is better?

I know that he put more points at MHL level than Sergachev and Romanov, I don't say that he is going to be good like them, but he can product at junior league.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
MHL or VHL, which league is better?

I know that he put more points at MHL level than Sergachev and Romanov, I don't say that he is going to be good like them, but he can product at junior league.

VHL is easily better. Similar to CHL vs AHL.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
VHL is easily better. Similar to CHL vs AHL.

Good, can't wait to see Kostenko at higher level, but if he can product at VHL level, we have maybe got a good one like Romanov.

He seems to have a pretty good skillset and he is a RHD, that's a good thing.

bopeep

Jan 22, 2004
bc
Is this guy any good? He’s got pretty good stats in the vhl. Where would he rank in our prospect pool?
I think he's had a really solid year of development, especially in Russia where prospects can get bounced around quite a bit. He was seen as an offensive minded defenseman, but has worked on the other aspects of his game to gain his coach's trust. Next year will be interesting as to where he plays as his contract is up in April.

Reactions: Nick Slafkofield

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
He's quietly having himself a fine D + 1 season , if nothing else. His production is up, his minutes as well, he played pro all season, etc. He's mostly passing the eye test for me, I can definitely see some potential when I watch him. His skating remains a bit weird but he's making it work somehow . I don't know where I'd put him ranking wise but he has to be up there.

ngc_5128

Sep 24, 2002
Maybe he'll get called up to the KHL to join Spartak Moscow for their playoff run (although I doubt he would play). He can't go down to the MHL as MHC Spartak were eliminated in the 1st round of the MHL Playoffs.
I wonder how many of these VHL teams will shut down next year because of the sanctions.

Jul 6, 2016
Is it such a good idea for pro teams in Europe to play so many 17 to 19 y.o. kids ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad