Prospect Info: Dmitri Kostenko, RHD, - (Traded KHL Spartak 2024-2025)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Per one of the Russian board mods, he has been extended by his Russian club Spartak till the end of the 2023-2024 season. This is good for him as there's no room for him over here and it gives him 2 years to work on things.

Hopefully he plays some KHL games next year.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Per one of the Russian board mods, he has been extended by his Russian club Spartak till the end of the 2023-2024 season. This is good for him as there's no room for him over here and it gives him 2 years to work on things.
Sounds good!

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I will be way too soon with this....but I'll do it anyway....this was a wasted draft pick...

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Why do you sat that ?
EVerytime I've watched him, strikes me as just an average player on all 3 zones. I have no idea what they saw. And to this day, if the hope is development, Kunlun has never development anything in 6 years. They are the resting area of has-beens....

DougHarvey

Aug 11, 2004
EVerytime I've watched him, strikes me as just an average player on all 3 zones. I have no idea what they saw. And to this day, if the hope is development, Kunlun has never development anything in 6 years. They are the resting area of has-beens....
Thanks. Although he'll probably eat better in Kunlun than he would in Russia.

bopeep

Jan 22, 2004
bc
This may not be the optimum development path for Kostenko, though he has been playing in the VHL against men and could be moving up another level this season. If the Habs could ever extricate him from any Communist associated country and land him in N. America, then I think they could get a better handle on what he is as a prospect and further needs to develop.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
To be fair they did well with Toropchenko and Spencer Foo, also restarting Sustr's career can be considered as some sort of development.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
To be fair they did well with Toropchenko and Spencer Foo, also restarting Sustr's career can be considered as some sort of development.

Not sure how Toropchenko and Foo can already be seen as a development success...We will have to let them settle first no? Neither Torop nor Foo are expected to be in their starting lineup so far.

As far as Sustr is concerned, seems to me he's the asme player he was before and after he left. If anything..Kunlun didn't destroy him....

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Not sure how Toropchenko and Foo can already be seen as a development success...We will have to let them settle first no? Neither Torop nor Foo are expected to be in their starting lineup so far.

As far as Sustr is concerned, seems to me he's the asme player he was before and after he left. If anything..Kunlun didn't destroy him....
Toropchenko was a starting lineup player and likely would still be if not the injury, agree about Foo though. Sustr was an AHL player when he signed with Kunlun, now at least he is considered a borderline NHL player I think, so some progress was there.

But actually none of this history matters as such, as basically every year Kunlun is kind of a new organization with new coaches and they are the ones responsible for the development. This year Viktors Ignatjevs will be the D coach there and he has a solid reputation as last year he built very impressive Metallurg team's defense, arguably the best in the KHL. Head coach Greg Ireland might not have the highest of the reputations, but has a lot of experience on both sides of the pond.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Toropchenko was a starting lineup player and likely would still be if not the injury, agree about Foo though. Sustr was an AHL player when he signed with Kunlun, now at least he is considered a borderline NHL player I think, so some progress was there.

But actually none of this history matters as such, as basically every year Kunlun is kind of a new organization with new coaches and they are the ones responsible for the development. This year Viktors Ignatjevs will be the D coach there and he has a solid reputation as last year he built very impressive Metallurg team's defense, arguably the best in the KHL. Head coach Greg Ireland might not have the highest of the reputations, but has a lot of experience on both sides of the pond.

I guess we will see what he does with Kostenko. Not holding my breath though.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I mean Kostenko did show progress last year in the VHL/MHL.

He was even tied 1st for scoring for D on his team with a 26 yo D in the PO. Tied 6th overall on the team.

In the regular season, he was 2nd for D (12th overall) despite playing only 41/52 games.

It will be interesting how he does in the KHL. Looking at the current Kunlun roster, he should get opportunities to be one of the main guys offensively. They have no D that is a clear offensive D. Will be interesting how he does with the opportunity.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The good thing with Kostenko is they can take their time with him, see how he does and then decide if they think he has a future with us or not. With so many D prospects, the next few years will be crowded in Laval/Habs but we'll see what happens.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
interested to hear if he's injured or not, and how long his loan to the KHL will be for.

I could be wrong, but I think the loan is for the rest of the season. But him missing a handful of games could indicate an injury.

I checked to see if he might have been sent to the VHL (not sure Kunlun has one). But nothing.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I could be wrong, but I think the loan is for the rest of the season. But him missing a handful of games could indicate an injury.

I checked to see if he might have been sent to the VHL (not sure Kunlun has one). But nothing.

I checked his VHL team today, as since he's on loan, I assumed if he was sent down it would be to his VHL team from last year but he wasn't in the lineup.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Can you ask if he is coming playing in the AHL soon?

Even if I ask it, the team won't answer that question.

But I can tell you that he is on loan to Kunlun for this year. And I believe he is still under contract in the KHL next year, also. I think his contract ends on April 30th, 2024. So he won't be able to come here before then.

Edit (I just checked): He signed a 2-year deal with HC Spartak Moscow on April 29th, 2022. So it will expire in 2024. This year, he was loaned from Spartak to Kunlun for the whole year.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Where's Kostenko? lol. What a bad pick that guy was. That's what happens when you go position rather than BPA....

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Where's Kostenko? lol. What a bad pick that guy was. That's what happens when you go position rather than BPA....
The sad part is that's drafting 101. You never draft based on need. Always BPA. If you end up with all dmen like the Islanders did in 2012, so be it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad