Prospect Info: Dmitri Kostenko, RHD, - (Traded KHL Spartak 2024-2025)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I looked at FlashScore, and he was in the line-up today for Khimik (VHL). He had an assist in the game.

for today's game they put him in the right spot but this time they inverted his #, lol.

SKA - MKH | SKA Neva St. Petersburg - Khimik

too bad no Gordin as I turned on the game for a bit to see if both would be in action. And Kostenko is still #81, just in case anyone was thinking he changed it to #18. The people at livesport must be overworked.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
for today's game they put him in the right spot but this time they inverted his #, lol.

SKA - MKH | SKA Neva St. Petersburg - Khimik

too bad no Gordin as I turned on the game for a bit to see if both would be in action. And Kostenko is still #81, just in case anyone was thinking he changed it to #18. The people at livesport must be overworked.

I just noticed that it's Khimik vs. SKA-Neva. Would have been nice to see Kostenko vs. Gordin.

:laugh:

They have him at #18 when he's #81.

Here is a live stream of the game on YT if anyone wants to watch Kostenko.

Kostenko is #81 in yellow.

Last edited:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I just noticed that it's Khimik vs. SKA-Neva. Would have been nice to see Kostenko vs. Gordin.

Some good.... some bad.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

He looks pretty lanky, he might be closer to 6ft2 now IMO . He had a few bad turnovers with the puck ( including one right at the beginning) but also a few really good plays where you could see the tools at work . There's definitely some potential to develop there, even in a pre season game where everybody is going at half the effort.

bopeep

Jan 22, 2004
bc
He looks pretty lanky, he might be closer to 6ft2 now IMO . He had a few bad turnovers with the puck ( including one right at the beginning) but also a few really good plays where you could see the tools at work . There's definitely some potential to develop there, even in a pre season game where everybody is going at half the effort.
I'm hoping he sticks in the VHL all season. In today's lineup he began on the 1st pair... quality minutes would be great for his development as well as a steady team environment to work on his current shortcomings

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Yeah that bad giveaway on his 1st shift was bad, and he got beaten pretty badly on a shot that hit the cross bar.

But he shows a good stretch pass, good skating and a feel for making himself available in the O zone for a shot. Agree about the lankiness.

Reactions: Pompeius Magnus

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Yeah that bad giveaway on his 1st shift was bad, and he got beaten pretty badly on a shot that hit the cross bar.

But he shows a good stretch pass, good skating and a feel for making himself available in the O zone for a shot. Agree about the lankiness.
His stride is a bit wonky but he manages to cover a lot of ice with it so it doesn't seem to be a big issue. With added lower body strength and some tweaks to his technique he could become a solid skater.

Reactions: bopeep

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So the KHL season starts in 2 days, though at this point I would be surprised if Kostenko starts out in the KHL. His VHL team doesn't start their season till the Tuesday the 7th.

Reactions: Sagikev

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

Kostenko's skating stride reminds me of KK's.

It's a bit wonky, as I said in a post a few weeks ago. He does cover a lot of ice though so he makes it work somehow. He'll obviously need some help down the line to polish his technique a bit, that and more lower body strength. Making better reads will make an even bigger difference , from my viewings at least he takes weird decisions with the puck at times.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Kostenko's KHL team played today, so it looks like he will be with the VHL team to start the season. Not that it should be a surprise since he only appeared in one preseason game in the KHL and imo did not look very good. His VHL team has their first game on Tuesday.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Well, Markov was drafted as a centre...

I do not know why this myth still exists today....Markov was NOT drafted as a C.

Andrei Markov: de Voskresensk à Montréal

Puis, quand je suis arrivé chez les pros, en Russie, avec le Khimik Voskresensk, l’entraîneur m’a demandé si je voulais jouer à la ligne bleue. Je lui ai dit : Pourquoi pas? Il m’a donc utilisé, à 17 ans, sur la première paire de défenseurs de l’équipe, avec le plus vieux joueur du club. J’ai ainsi pu prendre de l’expérience rapidement. Je ne suis plus jamais retourné attaquant… »

When he joined the pros with Khimik, the coach asked him if he wanted to play as a D. He said why not. He was then used, AT 17 YEARS OLD, on the first pairing with the oldest player of the team. He never went back to forward.

Also, at the WJC-20 in 97-98, the media put him in the All-star team on D.

Elite Prospects - Award - U20 WJC All-Star Team

Locks

May 28, 2005
VHL is a good league for a junior aged Dman. I hope he continues doing well there and will be called up to the main team at some point.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Thanks for the updates guys! I hope he pans out. If I'm not mistaken we stocked a lot on LD prospects but not much on RD recently?

We'll need all the RHD help we can once Weber LTIR and Petry slows down - might well be just in time for Kostenko to develop?

Reactions: bopeep

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
It's very early in his season but so far he's been a big motor for their powerplay. He's getting a lot of minutes too, significantly more than last season. He's wonky and all over the place in a lot of aspects of his game but he's in a good spot to learn and get better while playing pro level hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad