Prospect Info: Dmitri Kostenko, RHD, - (Traded KHL Spartak 2024-2025)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Is he legit NHL prospect? Has good numbers

I think so but he has work to do and I don't know what his plans or the Habs are so we'll see what happens.

At the end of last season I had him as an HM in my top 20 so he would have been say 23rd but with so many D prospects it will be very tough to crack but since they hold his rights for as long as he's playing hockey, so they can take their time since he's still just 21.

Reactions: LesCanadiens

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I think so but he has work to do and I don't know what his plans or the Habs are so we'll see what happens.

At the end of last season I had him as an HM in my top 20 so he would have been say 23rd but with so many D prospects it will be very tough to crack but since they hold his rights for as long as he's playing hockey, so they can take their time since he's still just 21.

Is VHL step below KHL?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The mod on the Russian board is saying that Kostenko has been traded back to his former KHL club Spartak. So he was just playing in the VHL in the same organization as Volohkin but now will be back to his original organization which former Hab draft pick Sobolev just signed with.

Reactions: bopeep

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Will be interesting to see if Yugra was just right time at the right spot. Yugra seemed to be starving for any offensive D looking at the roster.

Reactions: montreal

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
Anyone have any thoughts on the article in JdeM by Nicolas Cloutier on Kostenko? If any of this is true, he isn't coming to North America.

Reactions: Team_Spirit

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Anyone have any thoughts on the article in JdeM by Nicolas Cloutier on Kostenko? If any of this is true, he isn't coming to North America.
I believe it. I don't think any GM has any reason to come out in public with info like that if it's not true.

If so, he is quite immature and it will bite him in the ass. Thankfully, noone expected anything from him. It's still a net negative signal though.

Small chance it can we a wake up call for him. Most likely we never see him over.

It also shows how the MB era didn't know the prospects they were picking.... Idk, maybe the 3rd rounders and up are never that well known and it's just luck or bad luck when the behaviour is good or not from one of your prospects picked later on, but it looks somewhat bad on the team that they identified this guy in the 3rd round which is still a pretty high pick.

I might be overthinking it... Maybe it's normal.

Reactions: kyne

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
keep in mind the GM traded for him, they are the same organization that Volohkin plays for, he took off after the trade. Here's his splits,

Khimik - 20-3-2-5 +3 19 pims
Ugra - 22-8-12-20 +10 29 pims

He's bounced around between the VHL and KHL so maybe he is difficult, so either he wakes up or he doesn't. Good offensive skill though, we hold his rights forever so might as well see how it goes.

Reactions: dralaf

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
What does the article say?

He throws him under the bus and then threw the body down the bridge basically

Disappointing reports

Gusev's reports about the young man are heartbreaking. They describe an offensive defender who fattened his record into a power play to serve his own ends, disdained the physical game and refused to implement the advice’on lavished on him.

In other words, Kostenko has committed the greatest sin in hockey: not to be a’ team player.

«He does not want to learn, he just wants to do his little business, Gusev lamented. You tell him not to make the cross pass and he will give the puck to the’adversary anyway.»

This is not’ for lack of having tried to change it. The hockey man’ says he has, time and again, taken the time to sit down with Kostenko to make him hear reason.

«I talked to him several times, he said. I told him: “Listen, if you want to play in the NHL, you have to do this and that..” It gives the impression of listening, you know, it says that’il understands and that’il will do its best. But the match comes and he does the same crap.

«In addition, if you do not put it in numerical advantage, he pouts. He doesn't say anything, but you see it in his body language. It drives me crazy, seriously.»

The only reason Kostenko was able to get his minutes and precious points is because’no other’ team defender had the skills to drive the man advantage.

«I could not nail it to the bench, but if j’ had been able, I WOULD have done every match», assured the DG of Yugra.

Discussions with Bobrov

When Gusev got a call from Nick Bobrov, co-director of amateur recruitment for Canadians, he did not play the violin.

«I told him the same things, Gusev said. Bobrov said for his part that it had been two years since he followed this guy and that nothing changed. I’ was not surprised to’hear this.»

In short, it would be surprising if Bobrov was campaigning for Kostenko's contract.

«Non, I do not believe», pronounced Gusev.

Reactions: Walksss

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad