Disney Star Wars General Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Gilroy said Andor season two will be jumps in years every 3 episodes leading right up until we see him leave for The Ring of Kafrine in Rogue One.
This is pretty cool!

They invited all the guys/gals who dressed as prisoners from Narkina 5 up on stage to get a group photo with Diego Luna and the director. Looked like there were over 100. One Way Out!

Last edited:

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
Got lost in the sauce a bit.

A little surprising. Ridley seemed pretty jaded just Like Boyega and Issac after the sequel trilogy was over. But then again her career hasn't really taken off since.

Right now I'm indifferent. In general I liked her portrayal of Rey and I didn't really care much about the "Mary Sue" shit but the shuffling of "Rey is a nobody" and "Rey is a Palpatine" was mishandled. Her identity crisis was the central conflict of her character and it ended up messy with Abrams far from sticking the landing. So, in the end, with proper writing she could have been a compelling character but they botched it. If her whole thing now is making her the latest Jedi to try to rebuild the Jedi order, I don't see too much room to make up for that. I guess if she remakes the Order under a substantially different philosophy, there could be some interesting stuff to unpack there.

Was the one you saw longer than 19 seconds? That showed hardly anything.

It's hard to keep track of how many Star Wars movies/shows have been announced and then cancelled (double digits but don't know the exact number). At this point, hoping this adds to the total.

As a young kid, Star Wars captured my imagination. It did for so many others at the time, regardless of age. It hit as close to a perfect note as you can get in entertainment.

That's why I've been hanging onto these scraps for so long. I wanted to feel that spark again. But it won't happen, not as long as Disney is in control. I'm not in denial any longer.

If you're a fan now, it's all good. We all have different tastes, and I'm all for getting enjoyment wherever you can find it.

Only problem I've had here is that some seem to think their should be one perspective when it comes to entertainment. That's not the way that that life works.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
This all sounds f***in awesome. I'm really happy Rey is coming back. Despite all of the problems with the ST (and there were many), she's such a great character.
Agreed that it all sounds great, but at this point I still need to actually see these films start production before I'm going to get hyped for them. Hopefully they've finally figured their shit out with these movies.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
It's hard to keep track of how many Star Wars movies/shows have been announced and then cancelled (double digits but don't know the exact number). At this point, hoping this adds to the total.

As a young kid, Star Wars captured my imagination. It did for so many others at the time, regardless of age. It hit as close to a perfect note as you can get in entertainment.

That's why I've been hanging onto these scraps for so long. I wanted to feel that spark again. But it won't happen, not as long as Disney is in control. I'm not in denial any longer.

If you're a fan now, it's all good. We all have different tastes, and I'm all for getting enjoyment wherever you can find it.

Only problem I've had here is that some seem to think their should be one perspective when it comes to entertainment. That's not the way that that life works.
I mean I've always taken in as much Star Wars media as I could. I didn't read that many books and comics, I'll admit, but the visual world of the galaxy far far away I usually my ideal escapism. So when I get something like Kenobi, I can lament that I wish it could have been better while still more or less enjoying what I ended up getting. I rag on Rogue One pretty often but I could still go back and enjoy the last act with all the action.

The only times Star Wars hasn't done it for me in any way is episode 1, 2, Book of Boba Fett and most of the star wars visions episodes. Rise of Skywalker and Last Jedi are really frustrating movies but they're still enjoyable at a baseline level.

All that said, there's been little in the Disney era I can speak fondly about. I thought Andor was fantastic, Solo is still a fun rewatch for me, and Force Awakens is still good but not great. So I'm hoping that this second wave, so to speak, has some good works to enjoy. I'm not overly confident but I'm not pessimistic either. To me all these delays and uncertainty at least signals to me that Disney is cognizant of the fact that people view this era as rife with disappointment. I just hope that their panic to get things right doesn't end up making things worse.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Was reading that this takes place 15 years after the last movie and Rey indeed tries to rebuild the Jedi
I'm curious to see if Rey has become depressed, indifferent and a shell of her former self who needs guidance from a kid or if that happens only to other Jedi.

My guess is that the announcement is more for appearances and the movie never gets made, though.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Agreed that it all sounds great, but at this point I still need to actually see these films start production before I'm going to get hyped for them. Hopefully they've finally figured their shit out with these movies.

Oh absolutely. My hype is limited to the prospect of it, but in no way am I hyped about anything real... it's limited.

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
I mean I've always taken in as much Star Wars media as I could. I didn't read that many books and comics, I'll admit, but the visual world of the galaxy far far away I usually my ideal escapism. So when I get something like Kenobi, I can lament that I wish it could have been better while still more or less enjoying what I ended up getting. I rag on Rogue One pretty often but I could still go back and enjoy the last act with all the action.

The only times Star Wars hasn't done it for me in any way is episode 1, 2, Book of Boba Fett and most of the star wars visions episodes. Rise of Skywalker and Last Jedi are really frustrating movies but they're still enjoyable at a baseline level.

All that said, there's been little in the Disney era I can speak fondly about. I thought Andor was fantastic, Solo is still a fun rewatch for me, and Force Awakens is still good but not great. So I'm hoping that this second wave, so to speak, has some good works to enjoy. I'm not overly confident but I'm not pessimistic either. To me all these delays and uncertainty at least signals to me that Disney is cognizant of the fact that people view this era as rife with disappointment. I just hope that their panic to get things right doesn't end up making things worse.
Whatever works for you individually as a fan, awesome. Truly. We're all different and get entertainment for many and varied sources. For me, I know that Rebels was for a younger audience but the character arcs of Kanan and Sabine resonated with me. If done right, a wide audience can connect.
From a business perspective, that's a different story.

If even a small percentage of what's been reported about the reasons for the delays/cancellations, it's not a sign of their recognition. It's about power.

KK is untouchable for now, has been for a while. But even if she goes it may not help much. It has to be a culture change for the entire company. Don't see that happening quickly, to be honest.

Unless the shareholders/board drop the hammer and tell them profits mean more than the messages/beliefs they trying to push, not much will change.

I suspect a couple others will come in and mock me. So be it.
The declining box office/streaming numbers don't lie.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I'm curious to see if Rey has become depressed, indifferent and a shell of her former self who needs guidance from a kid or if that happens only to other Jedi.

My guess is that the announcement is more for appearances and the movie never gets made, though.

Its going to be about 4 years til we see this, if not later. I just hope they learned to read the room better and learned their lesson in trying to release 2 movies a year.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Possibly, but just because Ridley is signed on to come back as Rey doesn’t mean Boyega won’t ultimately be signed on to the movie at a later time. It isn’t clear that this movie is even written yet, much less cast.
I wouldn't rule out Lucasfilm wanting him to return but it's a more on him willing to return. What they did with Ahmed Best on The Mandalorian might be a sign Lucasfilm is very willing to give that "redemption arc" for people.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It seems pretty risky for the next film to be based around Rey given how divisive the sequel trilogy was. They really can't afford to have another dud (creatively and/or critically).

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
It seems pretty risky for the next film to be based around Rey given how divisive the sequel trilogy was. They really can't afford to have another dud (creatively and/or critically).

We don’t know the order of things, so it might not be the next film…

But, either way, there’s so much content in the franchise now that they could easily afford to have another dud.

Dud is a relative term anyway. The Rise of Skywalker still made $500m in profit. Even the worst grossing Star Wars movie (Solo) made $100m.

Last edited:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I am hopeful. Absolutely hated how everything wrapped in ROS but not opposed to more Rey. I just hope they move on storywise and don't dwell too much on her name and lineage. Let's all quit living in that past. A new Jedi order could be cool though.

The other projects sound good. I am down for pretty much anything that doesn't revolve around the damn Skywalker bloodline.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
We don’t know the order of things, so it might not be the next film…

But, either way, there’s so much content in the franchise now that they could easily afford to have another dud.

Dud is a relative term anyway. The Rise of Skywalker still made $500m in profit. Even the worst grossing Star Wars movie (Solo) made $100m.
Solo lost $77 million actually. The Rise of Skywalker did have a profit despite an underwhelming final box office number - $300 million.

I can't see a Rey Star Wars movie doing well at the box office. It seems like Disney has burnt off a lot of the good will with Star Wars fans as evidenced by the massive drop in the box office of the new trilogy and mostly mediocre streaming series - Obi Wan Kenobi, Boba Fett, season 3 of the Mandolorian. Apparently the first episode of season 3 of the Mandolorian saw its viewership decline 30-40% from the final episode of season 2.

Then again, this movie won't even be released for another couple years, if it happens at all, so maybe things will have changed by then? Maybe they will actually get a decent screenwriter although that might be asking for too much.

Ridley's career seems to be headed in the direction of Mark Hamill minus the notable voice acting. Boyega and Isaac have had several notable roles both during and after Star Wars so they don't need it as much as her. Other than a minor role in Murder on the Orient Express I can't think of a thing Daisy has done in the past 7 years.

Reactions: PeteWorrell

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
Solo lost $77 million actually. The Rise of Skywalker did have a profit despite an underwhelming final box office number - $300 million.

I can't see a Rey Star Wars movie doing well at the box office. It seems like Disney has burnt off a lot of the good will with Star Wars fans as evidenced by the massive drop in the box office of the new trilogy and mostly mediocre streaming series - Obi Wan Kenobi, Boba Fett, season 3 of the Mandolorian. Apparently the first episode of season 3 of the Mandolorian saw its viewership decline 30-40% from the final episode of season 2.

Then again, this movie won't even be released for another couple years, if it happens at all, so maybe things will have changed by then? Maybe they will actually get a decent screenwriter although that might be asking for too much.

Ridley's career seems to be headed in the direction of Mark Hamill minus the notable voice acting. Boyega and Isaac have had several notable roles both during and after Star Wars so they don't need it as much as her. Other than a minor role in Murder on the Orient Express I can't think of a thing Daisy has done in the past 7 years.
Unless the leadership gets replaced and/or changes their focus, can't see a shift in the direction they're going now.

They've announced so many movies/shows that haven't come to pass. Double digits at this point, tough to keep track at this point.
The 3 they just announced: even the most hard core fans have to see this as a maybe.

Star Wars movies should be a $ printing press. Haven't had one in 4 years, will be a minimum of a couple years before the next one. You don't need to be an industry insider or high level executive to see that something is terribly wrong with the infrastructure at LucasFilm (and/or Disney).

The parks are where they make the money. But all this negativity in their entertainment erodes the brand, and it will trickle down. It may have already; not sure. Not tracking Disney's stock.

Super Mario Bros is killing it this weekend. The game(s) in movie form. They kept it simple: appealed to fans, made it so kids would enjoy, no messages.
And this movie doesn't drop in Japan and South Korea until late April. It will get a large spike when it does.

I just want entertainment, an escape from the real world. Don't care who does it. Disney is not it now.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I don't care for more Rey because she's a one dimensional and boring character, IMO. The only slightly interesting thing about her was the question of her lineage, and the answer to that ended up being dumber than we imagined. I doubt that many watched the sequels because they were interested in her journey. They watched because it was Star Wars and had a supporting cast of characters that they did care about (Han, Luke, Leia, Chewbacca, etc.).

That said, if Disney goes through with it, it'll give them a chance to make her more two dimensional and undo her image as a Mary Sue. Will they do that by giving her the Luke and Obi-Wan treatment and portraying her as a now broken anti-hero who needs to be pushed against her will to do the right thing or will they portray her as a confident and capable hero with a noble passion to rebuild the Jedi order, reinforcing that she's special and doesn't have to face the challenges and lows that other Jedi had to?

It'll be interesting because they'll either give credence to the criticisms by addressing them or prove them once and for all. It doesn't seem like there's much upside in going ahead with it, especially when it's a movie that few want and could underperform, like Solo. I have a feeling that getting to announce it was a gift to Kathleen Kennedy that could easily be taken back the next time that the company changes direction, which seems to happen frequently these days.

Last edited:

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Both Lucas' prequels and Disney's sequels failed to produce any memorable characters the fans loved or were interested in. Padme, Jar Jar, Anakin, young Obi Wan, Mace, a jumping bean Yoda, Dooku, Grevious, Jinn. The exceptions might be R2, C3P0 and Palpatine but that's only due to their notoriety from the original trilogy.

Same thing applies to the sequel trilogy although I feel after the first film there was probably a lot of interest in the 3 primary characters of Finn, Rey and Kylo...BB8 possibly as well...that translated into some notable merchandise sales. That almost certainly dissipated by the end of the second film as any sort of interesting character arc stalled out for all of them.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Anakin was a pretty awful character (in writing and performance) in the prequels and Clone Wars fleshed him.out and made him far more interesting. So there is precedent in taking a divisive character and improving on it.

Reactions: Jussi

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Do something not associated with any previous movie or show. A fresh story, something the writers can come up with from scratch
The James Mangold movie is literally that.

Anakin was a pretty awful character (in writing and performance) in the prequels and Clone Wars fleshed him.out and made him far more interesting. So there is precedent in taking a divisive character and improving on it.
You need (a) Dave Filoni to do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad