Disney Star Wars General Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I always found that quote to be terribly ironic considering Lucas (supposedly) refuses to allow the original editions of the OT to be distributed in any way. The only thing I have left of those originals are a pack of VHS tapes that are slowly degrading and will be completely lost one day.

Also Han shot first.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I always found that quote to be terribly ironic considering Lucas (supposedly) refuses to allow the original editions of the OT to be distributed in any way. The only thing I have left of those originals are a pack of VHS tapes that are slowly degrading and will be completely lost one day.

Also Han shot first.

It's more than ironic, IMO; it's hypocritical. In addition to suppressing the theatrical editions, he also reportedly had every copy of the holiday special destroyed. He did that long before he said how "barbaric" it was to "destroy works of art," so it blows my mind that he said it with a straight face. He must've thought that it was awful enough to testify against Congress about, but not enough to apply to creators like himself. It makes me wonder if Lucas would've supported the colorizing of It's a Wonderful Life and the destroying of all of the black and white negatives if that's simply what Frank Capra wanted. Lucas even justified adding CGI to the OT by arguing that modern technology allowed him to fulfill his original visions for them. For all that we know, Capra may've originally wanted to film It's a Wonderful Life in color and couldn't.

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
It's more than ironic, IMO; it's hypocritical. In addition to suppressing the theatrical editions, he also reportedly had every copy of the holiday special destroyed. That happened long before he said how "barbaric" it was to "destroy works of art," so it blows my mind that he said it with a straight face. He must've thought that it was awful enough to testify against Congress about, but not enough to apply to creators like himself. It makes me wonder if Lucas would've supported the colorizing of It's a Wonderful Life and the destroying of all of the black and white negatives if that's simply what Frank Capra wanted. Lucas even justified adding CGI to the OT by arguing that modern technology allowed him to fulfill his original visions for them. For all that we know, Capra may've originally wanted to film It's a Wonderful Life in color and couldn't.

Shouldn’t matter if that’s what they wanted. Film is an entertainment medium obviously but it’s also a time stamp of who we were as people during that given moment. Both technologically and culturally. For better or worse i think it’s best to keep things honest and they way they were at that time.

Reactions: Osprey

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I wouldn't really care all that much if George Lucas went back and updated his old movies every year, if he wanted to spend his life trying to "perfect" a movie from 1977 it's whatever.

But not allowing the original versions to exist along side them is basically lying, he's rewriting history and trying to replace the original movie with the new one, removing all of his "mistakes" in the process. Part of the charm for me is the limited, but groundbreaking special effects of the time, when you replace those with (often poor) CGI it doesn't have the same atmosphere.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I wouldn't really care all that much if George Lucas went back and updated his old movies every year, if he wanted to spend his life trying to "perfect" a movie from 1977 it's whatever.

But not allowing the original versions to exist along side them is basically lying, he's rewriting history and trying to replace the original movie with the new one, removing all of his "mistakes" in the process. Part of the charm for me is the limited, but groundbreaking special effects of the time, when you replace those with (often poor) CGI it doesn't have the same atmosphere.

This

Han shot first and Jabba the Hutt is only in Return of the Jedi

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

I remember Steven Spielberg removed the rifles from the agents in E.T. and replaced them with walkie-talkies in an updated version of the film, and went on to regret doing so.

He also famously questioned the ending of his own film, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, where Richard Dreyfuss leaves with the alien spacecraft. He subsequently said that, since becoming a father, he couldn't conceive of the character leaving his children behind.

Thankfully, he didn't go back and change the ending.

I think a film is a bit of a time capsule, and as you say, one should always be able to see the film in its original form.

Reactions: Beau Knows

SepticFish

Jul 14, 2005
I remember Steven Spielberg removed the rifles from the agents in E.T. and replaced them with walkie-talkies in an updated version of the film, and went on to regret doing so.

He also famously questioned the ending of his own film, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, where Richard Dreyfuss leaves with the alien spacecraft. He subsequently said that, since becoming a father, he couldn't conceive of the character leaving his children behind.

Thankfully, he didn't go back and change the ending.
He didn't change the ending but he did add to it. A couple years after it's initial release, with pressure from the studio, he filmed a new final scene with Dreyfuss on the alien ship. He then regretted it and removed it from future versions.

Reactions: NyQuil

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

Yeah, it's not so much the altering of movies. It's the altering with the intent of replacing. I like watching special editions and director's cuts. In fact, I pretty much don't ever watch the theatrical edition of Aliens any more, since the Special Edition adds a lot. The theatrical edition continues to be easily available, though. For example, every blu-ray comes with both editions and YouTube offers both for rent or sale. That should be how it is with Star Wars. Younger people who don't mind the Special Editions should be able to watch them and those of us who prefer to watch the versions that we grew up with shouldn't have to find out of print copies or pirate "despecialized" editions to do it.

Last edited:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Not sure if this needed it's own thread yet but...

For some reason I thought there was one but I guess not just a lot of mention of her in the threads for the other D+ shows she has been in an the Clone Wars etc.

Ohh and the cowboy hat might mean Fillion is directing some of the episodes himself.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Andor late summer, Mando season 3 late 2022 or early 2023 and Ahsoka 2023. Jon Watts developing a Star Wars show, set after Return Of The Jedi.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

Andor late summer, Mando season 3 late 2022 or early 2023 and Ahsoka 2023. Jon Watts developing a Star Wars show, set after Return Of The Jedi.
Jeez, I'd completely forgotten about Andor. Hopefully it's sneakily good because there doesn't seem to be any hype for it. Although that's probably understandable given that Obi-Wan is just around the corner.

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener

Hayden being back is amazing!

Not just Vader stuff, but we need a greater library of Anakin/Obi things while they're sticking around.
Hopefully, the show adds a bunch.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It's the series I'm least interested in, but I do like several of the actors in it, so maybe it'll be a pleasant surprise.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Someone, of course, filmed the Mandalorian season three sneak peak and uploaded it to the interwebs. And of course it is of bad quality and of only half of the screen.

I did my part to make it even worse by recording my screen when the video player wasn't maxed out. My capture for some reason didn't work for the full screen.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Someone, of course, filmed the Mandalorian season three trailer and uploaded it to the interwebs. And of course it is of bad quality and of only half of the screen.

I did my part to make it even worse by recording my screen when the video player wasn't maxed out. My capture for some reason didn't work for the full screen.
It was a sneak peak.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yes, the person that originally filmed it was sneaky.
It wasn't a trailer:

At Star Wars Celebration today, Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni shared a sneak peek at Season 3 of The Mandalorian, which will premiere on Disney+ in February 2023. During The Book of Boba Fett we saw Din Djarin (Pedro Pascal) trying to find where he fits into the Mandalorian creed following the removal of his helmet and the teaser made it clear that the next chapter of Din's story will continue with his journey to Mandalore to be "forgiven for his transgressions." The teaser showed that he will be reuniting with the Armorer (Emily Swallow) alongside the Child, as he continues to try to find a way to make amends for removing his helmet.

Another prominent aspect of the trailer was Bo-Katan (Katee Sackhoff), who seems to be still be carrying a grudge due to Din winning the Darksaber. A few scenes showcased her sitting on a throne, talking with Din and the Child, and perhaps venturing with them to Mandalore. The sneak peek also revealed that Carl Weathers, Paul Sun-Huyng Lee, Amy Sedaris, and Omid Abtahi will be back for the third installment of the series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad