Disney Star Wars General Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
No one goes into a movie insisting to view it on a surface level (or a thematic level).

An audience isn't going to care about a movie's "Themes" if a sensical and compelling story can't be crafted around them.

I think the reason so many dislike TLJ can probably be chalked up to the fact that it's not a very good movie.

I guess that's one very surface-level way to understand cinema. You can tell a compelling story to a friend at coffee break, or write it down, or make a radio play out of it. At the core, that's not what makes great cinema, or Godard got it wrong, Michael Snow got it wrong.

But I agree, TLJ is not a very good movie, it just looks pretty good when compared to the rest of the SW films.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
That is it in a nutshell. You can't start a story with the greatest conflict already developed off screen.
That was kind of unavoidable as soon as Luke was shown at the end of TFA. I think the explanation in the movie was enough, personally, I just would have liked to see the story told in a medium where it could be fleshed out even further.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Most interesting part of the announcement given we knew he was coming back for the Obi Wan series also.

"As usual, story details are being obscured by Lucasfilm mind tricks and it is not known whether he will appear as Skywalker in flashbacks or Vader, or both."

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Most interesting part of the announcement given we knew he was coming back for the Obi Wan series also.

"As usual, story details are being obscured by Lucasfilm mind tricks and it is not known whether he will appear as Skywalker in flashbacks or Vader, or both."

Ahsoka takes place after ROTJ so Vader is dead. Either flashback or Force ghost.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
We find out that Anakin had a twin brother named Bruce . . . . Bruce Skywalker who Palpatine had hidden away after knocking up Shmi with mystical force sperm. That's what Yoda said when he said "There was another". He didn't speak the good english and meant to say "Luke there is a brother"

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
It kind of seems like no one wants to make another SW movie. You're just setting yourself up for a bunch of criticism, or you're going to get fired halfway through filming.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
It kind of seems like no one wants to make another SW movie. You're just setting yourself up for a bunch of criticism, or you're going to get fired halfway through filming.

I thought it was telling when they announced these 3 Star Wars movies that were set to come out in 2023, 2025, and 2027 were all stand alone films and not a trilogy. After the disaster that was the sequel trilogy, I don't think Disney wanted to risk announcing a new trilogy and having the first movie bomb, thus resulting in less interest for the following two films. Keeping the 3 films unconnected was probably the best move for them.

That said, right now Star Wars' bread and butter is on Disney+ with Favreau and Filoni at the helm.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
They could just hire another director, one that isn't too busy for them. I'm not sure why they want Jenkins so much. Wonder Woman 1984 was pretty bad.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
They could just hire another director, one that isn't too busy for them. I'm not sure why they want Jenkins so much. Wonder Woman 1984 was pretty bad.

Given Disney's track record with directors of Star Wars movies, she may yet get replaced.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Can't comment on WW1984 as I haven't seen it but the first one was great. She also directed Monster which was a great movie.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Given Disney's track record with directors of Star Wars movies, she may yet get replaced.

Yeah, she may be replaced eventually, but the fact that the movie is on hold suggests that they're willing to wait at least a while for her. Also, I think that they want to have a SW movie directed by a woman and wouldn't replace her with a man, thus limiting their options. I can see them giving it to Deborah Chow if they like the job that she did on Obi-Wan Kenobi, which she directed all 6 episodes of.
Can't comment on WW1984 as I haven't seen it but the first one was great. She also directed Monster which was a great movie.

The first WW was good, but the 2nd largely negated it for me and makes me wonder if the 1st was good more because it was a much better script and fresh than because of Jenkins' directorial skill. I'm interested to see if she rebounds or not with her next movie.

Last edited:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Yeah, she may be replaced eventually, but the fact that the movie is on hold suggests that they're willing to wait at least a while for her. Also, I suspect that they wouldn't replace her with a man, thus limiting their options. I can see them giving it to Deborah Chow if they like the job that she did on Obi-Wan Kenobi, which she directed all 6 episodes of.

The first WW was good, but the 2nd largely negated it for me and makes me wonder if the 1st was good more because it was a much better script and fresh than because of Jenkins' directorial skill. I'm interested to see if she rebounds or not with her next movie.
Ya she didn't write the script for the first WW but is listed as one of the people for "story by" and "screenplay by" for the second and is listed as writing the 3rd. She did write the script for Monster also.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
If true, this would hardly be surprising...

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron Reportedly Delayed Due to Patty Jenkins' "Creative Differences" With Lucasfilm
The latest report comes from former THR editor Matthew Belloni, who says Jenkins was frustrated by the micromanagement of select Lucasfilm executives, eventually opting to pursue other opportunities while Lucasfilm worked on fixing its internal problems.

"That's not unusual, of course, but it's a laughably recurring problem at Lucasfilm under president Kathleen Kennedy, say agents: Top filmmakers are dying to make a Star Wars movie—until they sign on and experience the micromanagement and plot-point-by-committee process," Belloni writes in the latest issue of his newsletter.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
How could there are have been a "plot by committee" with the last trilogy of suck that was so goddamn bad it almost ruined star wars. Just let Filino and Favro run star wars and choose their people.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Reactions: Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
How could there are have been a "plot by committee" with the last trilogy of suck that was so goddamn bad it almost ruined star wars. Just let Filino and Favro run star wars and choose their people.

I think that what he means is that you have to make a movie or TV show the way that Lucasfilm wants or allows you to make it. We have to assume that the sequel trilogy was made the way that they wanted. After all, they seemingly had no problem with Abrams handing the 2nd film off to Johnson, nor with Johnson's script or direction. They even hired him again for his own trilogy. They also approved of Abrams returning to helm the 3rd, so they had to have been happy with the 1st.

It's kind of ironic that they were relatively hands off with their tentpole trilogy, trusting Abrams and Johnson, but have been micromanaging the side projects, like Rogue One, Solo and, now, Rogue Squadron. You would think that it'd be the opposite: strict control over the main entries and let the creatives do their thing on the spin-offs.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The source that shared that Rogue Squadron rumor also shared this rumor:

Star Wars Boss Kathleen Kennedy Reportedly Signs New Contract at Lucasfilm
Matthew Belloni of Puck and former editor of The Hollywood Reporter shared that Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy's contract has been extended for another three years. The contract previously expired in October 2021.
The article goes on to recap all of the turmoil recently and since Kennedy took over. With that in mind, it's a bit surprising if she's been extended, but maybe they're unsure who to replace her with and are afraid that a change might cause even more turmoil, so they're content to stick with what they have.

Last edited:

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
The source that shared that Rogue Squadron rumor also shared this rumor:

Star Wars Boss Kathleen Kennedy Reportedly Signs New Contract at Lucasfilm

The article goes on to recap all of the turmoil recently and since Kennedy took over. With that in mind, it's a bit surprising if she's been extended, but maybe they're unsure who to replace her with and are afraid that a change might cause even more turmoil, so they're content to stick with what they have.

Wouldn't be surprised if Disney wanted it to be Favreau, but that he had no interest in the position. He and Filoni seem to have all the creative freedom they want with their projects independent of anything else Star Wars related. And right now their projects are the best thing Disney Star Wars has going for it.

Reactions: Jussi

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Wouldn't be surprised if Disney wanted it to be Favreau, but that he had no interest in the position. He and Filoni seem to have all the creative freedom they want with their projects independent of anything else Star Wars related. And right now their projects are the best thing Disney Star Wars has going for it.

They possibly saved her job. Without the huge success of The Mandalorian, her track record and the future of the franchise look much worse.
Ahah, you know this is borderline trolling around these parts!

Trolling is not even liking Star Wars, but reading and posting here, anyways, to try to trigger fans by disparaging what they like and suggesting that they're just not smart enough to appreciate what they don't.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad