Disney Star Wars General Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I still remember a few months back when Kennedy was as good as gone according to some people on this board and among the Star Wars “journalism” community.

Fun times.

Reactions: Jussi

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I still remember a few months back when Kennedy was as good as gone according to some people on this board and among the Star Wars “journalism” community.

Fun times.
Not just gone, but burned at the stake for the terrible things she did to the real f-fans of the SW universe.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Not just gone, but burned at the stake for the terrible things she did to the real f-fans of the SW universe.

Nothing so dramatic is warranted.

It's just entertainment.

I just don't think she did a particularly good job at the helm, particularly with the sequels which were a debacle in every sense of the word.

I didn't think it was possible to make the prequel trilogy look good.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
particularly with the sequels which were a debacle in every sense of the word

I still think the only real problem with the sequels is the third one, which is absolute crap. If they went the way of the "Gray Jedi" - a direction TLJ pointed to pretty clearly - it could have been a very interesting trilogy.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I still think the only real problem with the sequels is the third one, which is absolute crap. If they went the way of the "Gray Jedi" - a direction TLJ pointed to pretty clearly - it could have been a very interesting trilogy.

I think the Grey Jedi idea would have been great if it had been introduced or at least teased in the first film.

As it stands, the storyline veered in a weird direction and then struggled to find its traditional footing again in the 3rd film by undoing everything in the 2nd film, after the 2nd film undid everything in the 1st.

The lack of a unifying theme or storyline was glaring.

As it stands, they had a decent if unoriginal first movie followed by two very inconsistent entries. Reminds me a lot of the Matrix Trilogy.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I think the Grey Jedi idea would have been great if it had been introduced or at least teased in the first film.

As it stands, the storyline veered in a weird direction and then struggled to find its traditional footing again in the 3rd film by undoing everything in the 2nd film, after the 2nd film undid everything in the 1st.

I don't think the second one undid the first one. What it did do is take what was basically a remake of the original SW movie in a completely different direction - a direction that pointed to relativism and a more complex understanding of that universe (absolutism being its blatant intellectual flaw). Had the 3rd one close in on this with an introduction to the Gray Jedi, that would have wraped it in a coherent and satisfying whole (to me anyway, fans would still have been pissed because they need their heroes untouched).

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don't think the second one undid the first one. What it did do is take what was basically a remake of the original SW movie in a completely different direction - a direction that pointed to relativism and a more complex understanding of that universe (absolutism being its blatant intellectual flaw). Had the 3rd one close in on this with an introduction to the Gray Jedi, that would have wraped it in a coherent and satisfying whole (to me anyway, fans would still have been pissed because they need their heroes untouched).

I don't really see the difference between undoing the first film and taking the trilogy in a completely different direction.

That direction should have been agreed-to before the trilogy ever started. I would be very surprised if that was the case.

I think there are a lot of assumptions around why people don't like the sequels, but in my case, it has nothing to do with the female protagonist, or the predominance of visible minorities or sexual oriention displays, or some kind of disservice to the original characters, but rather clunky execution and missed opportunities with some of the new characters.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What was the direction that TFA was taking the series?

If you can't even begin to perceive some inkling of my perspective, it's a complete waste of my time to even try to explain.

We've all been here before, many, many, times.

You think TLJ is consistent with TFA, fine.

I found it a very awkward transition which led to another awkward one with ROS when they tried to revert back to the spirit of the first film.

Last edited:

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
What was the direction that TFA was taking the series?

If that was directed to me, what I meant was that TFA was really close to the original SW, so the expectations were aligned with the original trilogy's narrative (the big bad and his protégé should have stroke back in the second film, etc.). I didn't mean it as TFA's direction, but as the original trilogy's direction, that was kind of naturally expected following a first film that was abnormally close to a remake.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
If you can't even begin to perceive some inkling of my perspective, it's a complete waste of my time to even try to explain.

We've all been here before, many, many, times.

You think TLJ is consistent with TFA, fine.

I found it a very awkward transition which led to another awkward one with ROS when they tried to revert back to the spirit of the first film.
What an odd reaction to my post.

I honesty don’t think I have read an actual elaboration on the “direction” of TFA, hence why I asked.

I can’t understand your perspective if you don’t provide it. Saying the direction changed (or that one film undid everything in another) is an incredibly vague statement, and with TFA being as open ended as it was I am honesty curious what direction you think the series was headed from that point, and the direction TLJ took it that was so different and problematic.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

Fun times.

Some of us like to discuss the future of Star Wars and the rumors that are out there. Often, those rumors don't come true, and that's fine. I posted some of the rumors about Kennedy leaving and I posted the rumor (from the same "journalism" sources) about her staying, which I thought was only fair. This quip seems a bit unnecessary and petty.

That said, if the rumors were false, why didn't Lucasfilm and Kennedy put them to bed a long time ago? Why wait until after her contract expired to "extend" it? That suggests indecision and that there may've been something to the rumors. Obviously, it wasn't anything that couldn't be resolved, but I wouldn't assume that there was nothing to the rumors just because they ultimately did agree on an extension.

Last edited:

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Or maybe Disney has no reason to respond to every silly “rumor” that some blogger comes up with.

Reactions: Jussi

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Or maybe Disney has no reason to respond to every silly “rumor” that some blogger comes up with.

That's not really the point. If there was nothing to the rumors and both sides had no doubt that they wanted to continue the relationship, why did they wait until the contract expired? Imagine if your team's GM waited until your star player reached UFA before re-signing him. Why, also, is it only a "rumor" that she has a new contract over two weeks after the old one expired? It seems like something that they would've announced by now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shockmaster

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
That's not really the point. If there was nothing to the rumors and both sides had no doubt that they wanted to continue the relationship, why did they wait until the contract expired? Imagine if your team's GM waited until your star player reached UFA before re-signing him. Why, also, is it only a "rumor" that she has a new contract over two weeks after the old one expired? It seems like something that they would've announced by now.
Who knows? Maybe you should call up Lucasfilm/Disney and ask them yourself instead of speculating and asking questions that you know nobody here has the answer to.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I'd say the direction Star Wars has been heading in the last couple years (if it absolutely has to have dozens of shows/movies going at once like Marvel) is a huge improvement over where there were a few years ago. So I guess you could argue that she should have been replaced for how poorly the sequel trilogy and the spinoff movies were handled, but since they seem to on the right track now it makes sense to not make any huge changes.

Reactions: Osprey

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

As it stands, they had a decent if unoriginal first movie followed by two very inconsistent entries. Reminds me a lot of the Matrix Trilogy.
I would have to agree thought the Matrix was pretty original at the time, especially the effects.

So it seems to have been confirmed that Kevin Feige will not have Chloe Zhao take on his Star Wars entry after it had been rumored he had.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I would have to agree thought the Matrix was pretty original at the time, especially the effects.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to crap on the Matrix, more so that the subsequent films tried to be more complex and suffered from a lack of focus IMO.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Yeah, I wasn't trying to crap on the Matrix, more so that the subsequent films tried to be more complex and suffered from a lack of focus IMO.
Don't disagree, liked the first one much more than the following 2. I appreciate what they tried to do but I think it kind of missed the mark.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Who knows? Maybe you should call up Lucasfilm/Disney and ask them yourself instead of speculating and asking questions that you know nobody here has the answer to.

Maybe you should relax instead of being critical of people for speculating and asking questions in a "Disney Star Wars General Discussion" thread in an Entertainment forum on a message board. This is the place for it, not for playing sheriff because you just don't like the nature of the speculation.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I'd say the direction Star Wars has been heading in the last couple years (if it absolutely has to have dozens of shows/movies going at once like Marvel) is a huge improvement over where there were a few years ago. So I guess you could argue that she should have been replaced for how poorly the sequel trilogy and the spinoff movies were handled, but since they seem to on the right track now it makes sense to not make any huge changes.

I think it's easy to see that despite her keeping her position, she clearly doesn't have power over everything Star Wars. Look at how smoothly everything that's produced by Favreau or Filoni goes, then compare that with almost all other Disney Star Wars content that's been a mess (i.e., sequel trilogy, spin-off movies, High Republic, directors getting fired, etc.).

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I think it's easy to see that despite her keeping her position, she clearly doesn't have power over everything Star Wars. Look at how smoothly everything that's produced by Favreau or Filoni goes, then compare that with almost all other Disney Star Wars content that's been a mess (i.e., sequel trilogy, spin-off movies, High Republic, directors getting fired, etc.).

I suspect that Favreau's support of Kennedy played a large role in her being extended. He had this to say just a few months ago:
"I think the one consistent thing I’m feeling is that people care deeply that it’s being handled correctly and that it’s being handled respectfully. It meant so much to them and they want to see it continue into the future and feel like it’s all connected with consistency. And we’re very lucky that between Lucasfilm and Kathy, the whole group that we have are incredibly supportive and encouraging.

Kathy Kennedy, we brought in very early on this conversation. And Kathy, first and foremost, is a great producer. And producers figure out ways to make things happen that are creatively exciting to the storytellers. Not only does she understand how to create an environment where we can have all the tools that we need to explore and experiment and be creative, but also knows what it takes to incubate ideas and understands the significance of when you do it right, what that can represent."
I imagine that he could get whatever he wants at this point, and because he values her and feels that he's able to do his best work with her in charge, that's good enough for them.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians. ... In the future, it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, speaking to Congress in 1988 against the colorization of black & white films.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad