Disney Star Wars General Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
They do not give a damn about the integrity of the IP, they want to maximize the ROI on their $4B investment.
An argument can be made that the best way to maximize ROI is to preserve the integrity of the IP. Pumping out low quality content tends to eventually lead to diminishing returns (i.e. burnout). Delivering high quality content less frequently (ex. the Bond and Mission: Impossible franchises) doesn't. A beloved franchise is like a goose that lays golden eggs. It'll keep producing if you're patient and don't kill it to get the most out of it as quickly as possible.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
An argument can be made that the best way to maximize ROI is to preserve the integrity of the IP. Pumping out low quality content tends to eventually lead to diminishing returns (i.e. burnout). Delivering high quality content less frequently (ex. the Bond and Mission: Impossible franchises) doesn't. A beloved franchise is like a goose that lays golden eggs. It'll keep producing if you're patient and don't kill it to get the most out of it as quickly as possible.
I do not disagree with that, especially the diminishing return part.

However, my point is mostly that the ROI is not dictated by quality. Heck, I would argue that most of the revenue comes from licensing and not content. So, in that sense, I believe that their goal is to maximize exposure to create more licensing opportunities.

That being said, you are perfectly right to say that high quality production would also contribute in maximizing the money generating power of the IP.

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
When I hear what some Western viewers don't like Lucas' prequels for, it seems to me rather ridiculous reasons, the real problems of these films are in another, in how terribly this idiot directed the action scenes in episodes 2 and 3. I'm talking about such moments as the incredibly sickening discrepancy between the actions of the actor filmed on a green screen and what is going on in the film, when, for example, anakin jumps on a moving cart, and it looks just fake because of the discrepancy between the speed of the cgi-cart and the movements of the actor. And also about such simply unrealistic ridiculous shit when someone flies down half a kilometer and then catches on to a flying car, or when Dooku used force to throw Obi wan to the other end of the spaceship and he survived after hitting his back against a metal section. Moronic flips and jumps that Jedi can use in theory, but which are used in the choreography of fights in an extremely lame way. Light sabers hitting various obstacles and not causing them any damage, as if they were light sticks, and so on. When I look at this kind of shit, which by the way is in many modern Hollywood blockbusters, I just don't understand what it is, are those who shoot these scenes in this way just incredibly stupid, or do they absolutely not give a f*** about the quality of what they do? All of the above almost completely destroys my ability to enjoy these films, and I'm not talking about the quality of the cgi itself, but about the disregard for obvious details, and the creation of completely idiotic unrealistic and lame action scenes because of that. It is just f***ing annoying to the point that i starts to hate those idiots who doing this

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I mean, they immediately cauterize the wound? ;)
In that case, why did Qui-Gon die and why do villains keep walking away after dealing blows that their victims will easily recover from and want revenge for?
I mean, it's not like George Lucas himself brought back a character who was literally cut in half with a lightsaber...
Who are you referring to, Obi-Wan? If so, bringing back a character as a Force ghost is a lot different than letting him survive the strike.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
He "became more powerful than we could possibly imagine".

Eventually.
Are you suggesting that Qui-Gon died because he chose to martyr himself, like Obi-Wan? If so, the look of surprise on his face seems to contradict that.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
In that case, why did Qui-Gon die and why do villains keep walking away after dealing blows that their victims will easily recover from and want revenge for?

Who are you referring to, Obi-Wan? If so, bringing back a character as a Force ghost is a lot different than letting him survive the strike.
I'm referring to Darth Maul, who was cut in half, fell down a garbage chute, and ended up on a trash planet with a mechanical spider body made by the dark side of the Force. People bitch about Disney doing weird things while disregarding some of the weird ass shit Lucas himself came up with.

Are people really upset over Disney not beheading and/or maiming people (which Star Wars also has a rich history of) more in shows that are trying to appeal to all age groups? I mean, is the stabbing only to have the character live thing overdone? Possibly. But you could say the same thing for every drama or action show that uses similar death fakeouts.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm referring to Darth Maul, who was cut in half, fell down a garbage chute, and ended up on a trash planet with a mechanical spider body made by the dark side of the Force. People bitch about Disney doing weird things while disregarding some of the weird ass sh*t Lucas himself came up with.
Darth Maul's survival is one of the more mocked things among fans. I wouldn't say that people disregard it. Lucas faced a lot of criticism from fans between 1997 and 2012. The fact that they've moved onto criticizing Disney doesn't mean that they've excused Lucas or that Disney should be excused.
Are people really upset over Disney not beheading and/or maiming people (which Star Wars also has a rich history of) more in shows that are trying to appeal to all age groups? I mean, is the stabbing only to have the character live thing overdone? Possibly. But you could say the same thing for every drama or action show that uses similar death fakeouts.
People don't want characters to be beheaded so that they can't come back. They want wounds that used to be fatal to be so again. Also, they probably would say the same thing for other shows that use death fakeouts. Remember the criticism when Jon Snow survived?

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
80ie76.jpg

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Most fans who have problems with the state of Star Wars don't look down on those who don't. They criticize Disney and the product, itself, not the fans who still enjoy it. If anything, it seems like the fans who enjoy it are the ones who are bitter towards those who don't, which is what I think that that meme actually reflects.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Are you suggesting that Qui-Gon died because he chose to martyr himself, like Obi-Wan? If so, the look of surprise on his face seems to contradict that.

1. A Jedi accepts the Force and becoming one with the Force, and the pain transitioned quickly to acceptance. Meanwhile, a Sith rages to survive and delay inevitable oblivion as long as possible.

OR

2. It was a joke.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I think this one is just
I think we're all in agreement that Disney is trash, right?

Yeah I think this is just Star Wars, not Disney. Like in the OT blasters just one shot kill everybody, until RotJ at the Endor base entrance Leia gets shot and... she's fine. I know it was supposed to be a glancing shot but still, it's barely an inconvenience.

Reactions: NyQuil

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
1. A Jedi accepts the Force and becoming one with the Force, and the pain transitioned quickly to acceptance. Meanwhile, a Sith rages to survive and delay inevitable oblivion as long as possible.

OR

2. It was a joke.
Those are the very explanations that others seriously use to defend it. This one, I think, became popular a year ago in order to explain two agents of the dark side surviving in Kenobi, but we've since seen two agents of the light side survive in Ahsoka. That suggests that there's no explanation and Disney will do it with characters on both sides of the Force.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad