TSN: Dion almost signed? Mod warning post #277

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Phaneuf is a boss when it comes to shutting down star forwards. It'd be nice if he was putting up more points this season but I'd much rather have his defensive game be the main priority. Everyone always moans about how Sundin never had a legit winger or how Phil doesn't have a legit center, but it always gets overlooked that Dion doesn't have a comparable defensive partner. That's no knock on Gunnarsson, but he isn't a #2 d-man no matter how well he's playing.

TML23

Aug 2, 2008
Toronto
Also, to all you Phaneuf haters out there.

Good luck finding a #1 D through UFA or a trade. Only way of getting #1 D without giving up a lot of assets/cap space is via draft.

I guess, we should tank for 5 more years? if we don't want to pay Phaneuf.

Last edited:

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
ya, dion just wants to get paid; and we're dumb enough to pay him. which is why we won't win with him.

i agree with this, our Dcore would look terrible with him, but having 7+ tied up in a guy who might not be our best Dmen in 2-3 years could hurt the team badly.

edit: looking down the road when Rielly and Gardiner wanna be signed what are they going to ask for? 6+ mill and we will just give it to them,

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Oh come on. He did win a cup with the Penguins. Don't bring that up now lol

Plus, he's going to make Team Canada :D Let's stop bashing him

That was 5 seasons ago, well before people started considering him to be elite. I think Letang was a #3-4 defenceman at that time.

frantiq

Mar 21, 2010
T.
last time i checked it took a team to win a cup, not individual players.

Last time I checked, cup winners had captains with exceptional leadership skills who actually stood up for their team. Crosby, Towes, Chara, Brown, etc. Phaneuf is not one of those guys, sorry.

TML23

Aug 2, 2008
Toronto
i agree with this, our Dcore would look terrible with him, but having 7+ tied up in a guy who might not be our best Dmen in 2-3 years could hurt the team badly.

edit: looking down the road when Rielly and Gardiner wanna be signed what are they going to ask for? 6+ mill and we will just give it to them,

Just think of it like this. I think it will make you feel just a bit better about this big contract.

Phaneuf's new contract salary = Phaneuf's old contract salary + Matt Fratin's retained salary

:laugh: I know it's 7 years long. I would definitely prefer if it was 5 or 6 years. However, Phaneuf has all the leverage so I can't blame Nonis for this.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Last time I checked, cup winners had captains with exceptional leadership skills who actually stood up for their team. Crosby, Towes, Chara, Brown, etc. Phaneuf is not one of those guys, sorry.

What do you mean by standing up for the team? Phaneuf fights the most out of those guys save Brown.

TML23

Aug 2, 2008
Toronto

Define Leadership. There are many ways a person can express leadership.

I don't know about Crosby and Toews having more "leadership" skills than Phaneuf. How do you even evaluate their leadership skills?

Are you an insider who goes inside the Leafs locker room during intermissions? You can't comment on who has leadership skills and who doesn't unless you are part of the team.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

:laugh: Your logic is priceless.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's

If we're in a position 3-5 years from now where Rielly and Gardiner are asking for $6M that will be a LUXURY for us.

Let's handle those cap concerns 5 years from now instead of letting our risk aversion cloud our current decision making.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Define Leadership. There are many ways a person can express leadership.

I don't know about Crosby and Toews having more "leadership" skills than Phaneuf. How do you even evaluate their leadership skills?

Are you an insider who goes inside the Leafs locker room during intermissions? You can't comment on who has leadership skills and who doesn't unless you are part of the team.

Good leaders win cups. Leafs haven't won a cup. Therefore, Phaneuf is not a good leader.

Am I doing it right?

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011

Fans are in no position to evaluate captaincy. You're absolutely fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

BayStreetBullies*

Totally. Let's just get rid of Kessel too since he hasn't won a cup with us yet.

Let's get rid of the ACC while we're at it since the Leafs haven't won a Cup since it was built.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London

Looking at Rielly's age I think it's safe to assume he won't be sniffing 6m+ a year for at least another 4 years, more likely 5 or 6 and that is assuming he pans out.

Looking at Gardiner's play I think it's safe to assume he won't be sniffing 6m+ a year anytime soon either.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Good if those are the actual numbers. I don't think it was possible to get him for less than 7 million anyways.

And he can easily get 7.5 or 8 in open market. Plays point on successful PP, plays (an unsuccessful) PK, plays against top lines, captain. Can't ask for much more.

P.S.: I am really enjoying the debate of Leafs Board v/s a certain member right now. Carry on. :)

Good leaders win cups. Leafs haven't won a cup. Therefore, Phaneuf is not a good leader.

Am I doing it right?

That Sundin guy! Never seen a worse "leader" than him. Couldn't even win a cup. Now that I think of it, even Alfredsson was a pretty bad captain for Ottawa. Or Thornton. San Jose will never win the cup with him as captain. Am I doing this right? :sarcasm:

Kb21

Dec 27, 2011
Toronto
Totally. Let's just get rid of Kessel too since he hasn't won a cup with us yet.

kessel doesn't have the C on his chest. how do we know he won't lead us to a cup if he had the C. your comparisons are off.

i hope it isn't for more then 5 years if it is 7M.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Also, to all you Phaneuf haters out there.

Good luck finding a #1 D through UFA or a trade. Only way of getting #1 D without giving up a lot of assets/cap space is via draft.

I guess, we should tank for 5 more years? if we don't want to pay Phaneuf like wulfio said.

or just give a package of garbage to a stupid GM :sarcasm:

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
You don't just not pay a guy because IF another player comes along he MIGHT end up being a better player. Dion is our best defencemen right now, he needs to be paid accordingly.

BayStreetBullies*

Phaneuf should be paying the Leafs, not the other way around. Fire Nonis! :sarcasm:

frantiq

Mar 21, 2010
T.

:laugh:

Look, no matter what I say about Phaneuf people on here will defend him and say I'm wrong no matter who our captain is. Everyone is titled to their own opinion, and I think Phaneuf doesn't have what it takes to be a good leader and take us to a cup.But hopefully I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad