TSN: Dion almost signed? Mod warning post #277

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I would also like to add, that teams like pittsburgh and boston are cup contenders because they dont pay players like Dion Phaneuf $7+ mill. :)

Crappy teams give guys that won't carry them their pay days. Good teams use their money wisely.

Ok cool story. So Phaneuf is worth 4 million a year. How about these guys:

Kessel
van Riemsdyk
Kadri
Bozak
Clarkson
Kulemin
Bernier
Reimer
Bolland

Just curious, is Phaneuf the overpaid player on this team, or is there more.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
I dunno, when was the last time we won a cup? Pretty hard to hate on those 2 teams...

So because we haven't won a Cup since Dion has been here, we need to not pay him? :laugh:

Whatever you say man. Whatever you say. Your shtick against Dion is old now. Clearly just a hater for the sake of hating. Done replying to you :laugh:

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
ya, dion just wants to get paid; and we're dumb enough to pay him. which is why we won't win with him.

:laugh:

Bouwmeester was desperate. Before he got to St. Louis he hadn't played a single playoff game. :laugh:

wulfio*

Ok cool story. So Phaneuf is worth 4 million a year. How about these guys:

Kessel
van Riemsdyk
Kadri
Bozak
Clarkson
Kulemin
Bernier
Reimer
Bolland

Just curious, is Phaneuf the overpaid player on this team, or is there more.

clarkson, bozak, kessel(slightly)

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Okay, just this August Bouwmeester was re-signed for $5.4 x 5 years. That is certainly a comparable contract.

Also, if you start using 'but the cap is going up!' as justification for every deal, pretty soon you'll have spent all of that extra money before the offseason even begins. The cap is going up is used to justify Clarkson's contract, and probably every other extension coming down the pipes soon enough.

When Bouwmeester signed that contract he was basically Dion Phaneuf with a non-existent offensive game in recent years. His star had fallen considerably.

The Blues obviously made a very good choice to extend Bouwmeester when they did, because considering his great offensive start, if Bouw had waited and let the negotiations stretch into the season, he'd be asking for the same money as Phaneuf.

Not a good comparable.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
So because we haven't won a Cup since Dion has been here, we need to not pay him? :laugh:

Whatever you say man. Whatever you say. Your shtick against Dion is old now. Clearly just a hater for the sake of hating. Done replying to you :laugh:

They guy just fishes and gets bites all day. Probably having a good giggle at you all in his basement.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
I would also like to add, that teams like pittsburgh and boston are cup contenders because they dont pay players like Dion Phaneuf $7+ mill. :)

Crappy teams give guys that won't carry them their pay days. Good teams use their money wisely.

Letang makes more than $7 million, while being arguably worse than Phaneuf, and Chara signed his $7 million contract when the cap was smaller, and at a much older age than Phaneuf.

Hibachi

Oct 22, 2013
Until we become a cup contender, we won't be getting big discounts from our players. First we have to build a culture here, like the Pens and numerous others teams have.

Chicago is amazing and I guarantee you that Kane/Toews will be getting premium contracts. Do they deserve it? heck yea. But they won't be taking huge discounts even though it might they might be able to add an extra depth player to make winning cups easier.

wulfio*

Letang makes more than $7 million, while being arguably worse than Phaneuf, and Chara signed his $7 million contract when the cap was smaller, and at a much older age than Phaneuf.

They've both done more for their respective teams than Phaneuf.

TML23

Aug 2, 2008
Toronto
wulfio's argument became all invalid when he was asked to name contenders.

End of discussion. Can we just go back to Phaneuf talk now? This thread is not about who gets paid more.

wulfio*

wulfio's argument became all invalid when he was asked to name contenders.

End of discussion. Can we just go back to Phaneuf talk now? This thread is not about who gets paid more.

I named enough, you seem to think 1/3rd the league are contenders.

Contenders either have legit top end D. Or they have legit D by committee. We don't have either. Especially if we pay Phaneuf like he's a legit top 10 D. There's a cap my friend. You have to spend it wisely.

Last edited by a moderator:

TML23

Aug 2, 2008
Toronto
I named enough, you seem to think 1/3rd the league are contenders.

Contenders either have legit top end D. Or they have legit D by committee. We don't have either. Especially if we pay Phaneuf like he's a legit top 10 D. There's a cap my friend. You have to spend it wisely.

Sorry that I insulted your man crush.

You named Chicago only. There have been a lot more cup contenders in the past five years than Chicago.

Sorry that I insulted your man hate.

Hibachi

Oct 22, 2013
You guys also have to realize that Dion does not have a good supporting cast on defense. You guys say elite defensemen make people around them better, how how many are there in todays NHL?

Chara, Weber, Suter, Petrelangelo(sp?)..maybe 2-3 more that I can't think about right now.

Weber and Suter played together for the longest time, and when Suter left, Weber hasn't been that dominant D he has been known as. He's still amazing, but when he had Suter, he was out of this world.

Keith has Seabrooke and they playing amazing together. Imagine if Phaneuf has Seabrooke to play with? he would be a lot better.

Point is that some of these great defensemen have great partners playing beside them. Phaneuf has Gunner by default, although I'd like to see Gunner on the second pairing with Franson at this point and see what our young guns can do with Phaneuf.

mikebel111*

awesome!

Lock him up

go away people that don't know great D man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad