Value of: Difference in value between William Nylander and Brett Pesce

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
The Leafs top end is better, no question, but I'd take our depth, and when you're talking defense and goalie, the Canes skates laps around the Leafs. Everyone in our current top 5 (Slavin, Burns, Orlov, Skjei, and Pesce) would probably be your top defender.

We have zero desire to take on your cap dump without a significant overpayment on your end. Last time it cost you a 1st rounder, this time it'll cost you more. We're not here to be your charity givers, you want us to do you a favor, pay up.
Okay then I’d be fine with Pesce and Nikishin or 1st for Nylander. Definitely will need a significant add for a player that will Surpass Aho as the best forward on the roster.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Okay then I’d be fine with Pesce and Nikishin or 1st for Nylander. Definitely will need a significant add for a player that will Surpass Aho as the best forward on the roster.

Neutral fans/canes fans: value is pretty close but canes could add a 2nd or Gunler-type prospect no problem

Leafs fans: we want Slavin, add Necas, add Jarvis, add a first, add Morrow, add Nikishin etc :laugh:

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Neutral fans/canes fans: value is pretty close but canes could add a 2nd or Gunler-type prospect no problem

Leafs fans: we want Slavin, add Necas, add Jarvis, add a first, add Morrow, add Nikishin etc :laugh:

It's really easy to paint with a broad stroke like this, it's too bad so many people do it.

You can block divine. No one with a hockey brain would expect Slavin or Jarvis to be moved for Nylander.

But I guess it's easier to dog pile on the Leaf hate and rack up some likes.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Canes already have 3 nhl caliber goalies as it is. As a cap team gunning for a championship they’re certainly not looking to take on a 4th in the form of a cap dump. You would think a leafs fan would understand as their team is in a similar position but not that one apparently :laugh:
Feeder teams like the Canes (and all the other NHL teams) need to do their job and help out Toronto for the overall good of the league. ;)

Reactions: Cardiac Jerks

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Nylander’s contract demands (imo) reduce his trade value by a lot. He’s not really a play driving winger, and without the puck he offers little. Pesce is a high end right shot D. His contract number will be a lot less.
If you don’t think Nylander is a play driving winger you need to watch him more. He can absolutely drive a line and has down so for multiple years now

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
That’s not much of an argument considering how weak the leafs are on the right side.

Aho isn’t better than Nylander offensively. Maybe a better two way game but Nylander is better than anyone on the canes offensively.

GoalsAssistsPts+/-PPGSHGHitsTakeaways
218250468805216409415Aho
17725343023510125372Nylander

In nearly every offensive category and all defensive categories Sebastian Aho is superior to Nylander. He outscores (w/3 less assists) Nylander. He has four 30 + goal seasons (and one 29 goal season). Defensively it's not even a discussion. Please, by all means, tell me which team would opt for William Nylander over Sebastian Aho (other than perhaps Toronto). The answer is none.

When you add in the fact that Aho wears the "A" and is notoriously competitive, the silliness of the other poster's statements becomes self-evident.

Reactions: Svechhammer

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
218250468805216409415Aho

In nearly every offensive category and all defensive categories Sebastian Aho is superior to Nylander. He outscores (w/3 less assists) Nylander. He has four 30 + goal seasons (and one 29 goal season). Defensively it's not even a discussion. Please, by all means, tell me which team would opt for William Nylander over Sebastian Aho (other than perhaps Toronto). The answer is none.

When you add in the fact that Aho wears the "A" and is notoriously competitive, the silliness of the other poster's statements becomes self-evident.
For real. Like Willy had a very good offensive season last year but throughout their careers Aho has been better than him in basically everything. He's a good player but he is just simply not at Aho's level.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
LOL. Good luck with that. Those blue goggles are fogging your brain as well as your vision.

They might be clogging yours as well, as you clearly didn't read the post. I said Carolina would not trade Slavin, the Leafs would only be interested in Slavin - and that is why the deal does not make sense. Unless you mean I'm mistaken in that the Leafs don't want Slavin or Carolina would trade Slavin?

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
They might be clogging yours as well, as you clearly didn't read the post. I said Carolina would not trade Slavin, the Leafs would only be interested in Slavin - and that is why the deal does not make sense. Unless you mean I'm mistaken in that the Leafs don't want Slavin or Carolina would trade Slavin?
Well, you wouldn't be getting Slavin and Pesce would make sense, so not sure what to tell you. Cheers.

Reactions: Cardiac Jerks

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
He would also fit like a glove into Carolina's system - great exits and entries, puck posession player, good sticker checker and lots of takeaways.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have him, but this statement makes me wonder if you have ever watched a Canes game. Our team dumps the puck more than any other in the league, both into and out of the zone. Willy's great exits and entries would be a bit wasted with Rod telling him to "get it in deep, then go get it".

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I’m not sure Carolina would want an extension. It would be a struggle to make both Nylander and Necas work beyond this season. Necas is on that Fiala/Bratt contract trajectory.

Judging by their tendencies, the younger and cheaper player in Necas is the more likely choice.

Reactions: Chan790

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
You dont need to trade away Nylander for Pesce. That is insane overpayment for Pesce. We saw first hand that Rielly can benefit from a stay at home D, and players like Schenn are a lot more common than a 40g scorer. They will be serviceable for us enough. Sign him and ride it out, our situation gets a lot easier when the tavares contract comes off the books in a couple years.

If you want to trade for D, focus on a puck mover with 2-way ability.

• Haha

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
It's really easy to paint with a broad stroke like this, it's too bad so many people do it.

You can block divine. No one with a hockey brain would expect Slavin or Jarvis to be moved for Nylander.

But I guess it's easier to dog pile on the Leaf hate and rack up some likes.

Oh, those poor leaf’s fans being victimized all for the sake of hfboards likes :laugh:

There are two threads right now concerning trading Pesce for Nylander and in both of them there are multiple leaf’s fans with pretty crazy asks.

Hence why I said “leaf’s fans”. Nowhere did I say all leaf’s fans.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
The Leafs top end is better, no question, but I'd take our depth, and when you're talking defense and goalie, the Canes skates laps around the Leafs. Everyone in our current top 5 (Slavin, Burns, Orlov, Skjei, and Pesce) would probably be your top defender.

We have zero desire to take on your cap dump without a significant overpayment on your end. Last time it cost you a 1st rounder, this time it'll cost you more. We're not here to be your charity givers, you want us to do you a favor, pay up.

Rielly is an elite defender who dominated in the playoffs. He's on par with Orlov at his best.

218250468805216409415Aho

You seem to be forgetting a critical stat there. Games Played.

Regardless Nylander has more upside than Aho who has already peaked.

Many teams would take Nylander over Aho.

• Haha
Reactions: junyab

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
R
They had a ton of depth last playoffs. Heck, ROR may have been their best player, but yet again the all star team failed to make it out of the first round….
ROR was probably injured for most of the Florida series and beyond him there wasn't much in the bottom six.

Hes
For real. Like Willy had a very good offensive season last year but throughout their careers Aho has been better than him in basically everything. He's a good player but he is just simply not at Aho's level.
He's actually beyond Aho's level now as Aho will never reach 40 goals.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Rielly is an elite defender who dominated in the playoffs. He's on par with Orlov at his best.

Rielly at the top of his game is just on another level compared to Orlov. But I would take Aho over Nylander right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: leafsfan5

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

32/32 GMs and coaches would take Aho over Nylander.

- Premium position
- Excellent 200ft game
- Plays in all situations
- Comparable offensive impact

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad