Value of: Difference in value between William Nylander and Brett Pesce

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
It's an interesting question and comparison. So much depends on what the contract is. Both are on value deals now. What do the next deals look like? That will be the biggest question when it comes to value.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
It's a simple problem really.

A top line winger is valued below first pairing defenseman, but above second pairing defenseman.

This is why fans here are never able to put together trade packages for these guys. It's a nightmare trying to make something work that makes everyone happy.

IMO, the current perceived value order is somewhere around:

1. 1C
2. Top Pair D
3. 1st Line W & 2C
4. Vezina-Calibre G
5. Middle Pair RHD
6. High-end Starting G
7. Middle Pair LHD & Low-end Starting G
8. 2nd Line W & 3C
9. Bottom Pair RHD & High-end Backup G
10. 3rd Line W & 4C
11. Bottom Pair LHD, 4th Line W, and Low-end backup G

Last edited:

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
The difference between them? One is going to make much more of an impact towards winning a Cup. Pesce would make the Leafs much harder to play against in a 7 Game Series.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Prediction:
Aho will not score and Nylander will score over 9000.
Take this to the bank.. guaranteed winner
That will make for an interesting contract ask from Willy next year. I'm sure most Leaf fans will think he only deserves $1.50 and two cups of coffee from Tim Horton's.

• Haha
Reactions: Tryamw

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Because Aho, who has scored 36, 37 and 38 goals in 3 of the past 4 seasons, will NEVER score 40 goals. Also, goal scoring is the only way to evaluate forwards apparently.

He can’t be serious.
The more he posts the more I’m convinced he’s doing a bit. Even for a leafs fan this is over the top.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Criticizing is easy. Thanks for your thoughtful addition to the discourse.

Let's hear your ideas?

You’re late to the party. These threads about Pesce for Nylander have been going on for a week now. The majority of us have agreed Pesce + 2nd/Gunler-type prospect is fair.

Your ask is ridiculous and it’s already been gone over several times by multiple posters. You are right that criticizing is easy, though. Especially with proposals like that :laugh:

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
GoalsAssistsPts+/-PPGSHGHitsTakeaways
218250468805216409415Aho
17725343023510125372Nylander

In nearly every offensive category and all defensive categories Sebastian Aho is superior to Nylander. He outscores (w/3 less assists) Nylander. He has four 30 + goal seasons (and one 29 goal season). Defensively it's not even a discussion. Please, by all means, tell me which team would opt for William Nylander over Sebastian Aho (other than perhaps Toronto). The answer is none.

When you add in the fact that Aho wears the "A" and is notoriously competitive, the silliness of the other poster's statements becomes self-evident.
Yes let’s compare stats of a player who’s been a star for years to a player who just finally broke out last season.

You’re cherry picking stats here

Yes Aho is better in his own end I’ll give you that

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
It's a simple problem really.

A top line winger is valued below first pairing defenseman, but above second pairing defenseman.

This is why fans here are never able to put together trade packages for these guys. It's a nightmare trying to make something work that makes everyone happy.

IMO, the current perceived value order is somewhere around:

1. 1C
2. Top Pair D
3. 1st Line W & 2C
4. Vezina-Calibre G
5. Middle Pair RHD
6. High-end Starting G
7. Middle Pair LHD & Low-end Starting G
8. 2nd Line W & 3C
9. Bottom Pair RHD & High-end Backup G
10. 3rd Line W & 4C
11. Bottom Pair LHD, 4th Line W, and Low-end backup G

The insistence of some that Pesce is a 2nd pair D makes sense in this context.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
For a 90 point 50goal scorer?

Nickishin=the random guy they took at 28th imo I just don’t think he’s worth as much as fans in general think. He did have a phenomenal year tho.

Who’s this 50 goal scorer you’re referring to?

Also, a 21 year old who just put up an absolutely dominant season in a pro men’s league is definitely worth more than whoever this random guy taken 28th overall is (I don’t know who you’re talking about). Players drafted that late rarely have that kind of impact. There’s a reason Carolina wouldn’t include him in their offer for Meier. He’s a special talent.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Yes let’s compare stats of a player who’s been a star for years to a player who just finally broke out last season.

You’re cherry picking stats here

Yes Aho is better in his own end I’ll give you that
Hmmm.....let's discount career stats so that my point can be made "logically".

Career statistics are the antithesis of cherry picking. Cherry picking would be using a single 40 goal season to extrapolate to a career when career stats belie such a ridiculous implication.

Finally, if Aho has been a "star for years", then his value should be significantly higher. Spoiler alert: It is!

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Hmmm.....let's discount career stats so that my point can be made "logically".

Career statistics are the antithesis of cherry picking. Cherry picking would be using a single 40 goal season to extrapolate to a career when career stats belie such a ridiculous implication.

Finally, if Aho has been a "star for years", then his value should be significantly higher. Spoiler alert: It is!
I think his value is higher because he’s a centre not because he’s more of a prolific offensive player because he’s not. I wouldn’t be surprised if Nylander broke 100 points this season.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I think his value is higher because he’s a centre not because he’s more of a prolific offensive player because he’s not. I wouldn’t be surprised if Nylander broke 100 points this season.
Except over his career he is - more goals, more points, more short-handed goals, more power play goals.....You can assume or hope that Nylander repeats last season while Canes fans know that Aho will continue to be a 30+ goal scorer and an almost point per game player. Track record over mystery box....

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
Rielly is an elite defender who dominated in the playoffs. He's on par with Orlov at his best.

You seem to be forgetting a critical stat there. Games Played.

Regardless Nylander has more upside than Aho who has already peaked.

Many teams would take Nylander over Aho.
As a neutral fan I would take Aho over Nylander every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
You’re late to the party. These threads about Pesce for Nylander have been going on for a week now. The majority of us have agreed Pesce + 2nd/Gunler-type prospect is fair.

Your ask is ridiculous and it’s already been gone over several times by multiple posters. You are right that criticizing is easy, though. Especially with proposals like that :laugh:
Nice lowball but Gunler or a 2nd does nothing for Toronto. Jarvis was a mid first round pick and hasn't broken out yet. Fair if you want to keep him but the value isn't far off.

• Haha
Reactions: Cardiac Jerks

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Nice lowball but Gunler or a 2nd does nothing for Toronto

Pesce is the main return, obviously, and a player Toronto could most certainly use. The majority of posters in these two threads seem to agree the canes adding a second is fair to bridge the gap in value.

If you think that’s a lowball then what are you expecting in addition to Pesce?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad